Menu

JHU-CTY Summer Study/Camp Advice

igbu

Our DS(13), our oldest, took the SAT in March and will now be attending his first JHU-CTY Intensive Study camp this summer.  This is our families first such experience.  We've known he has potential, he's a hard worker and shown he's ready (we think).  However, each time he confirms his potential, well it's humbling and can be a bit overwhelming.  It all seems to be happening quickly...elementary school, a year of middle, now three weeks away at a college...whoa!  

JU-CTY's information does a good job of suggesting what the kids should expect and pack.  If your children have had similar opportunities or experiences, do you have any additional packing suggestions or general advice for such trips/experiences.  Thanks.

I've been following because my son is in his last year of baby CTY, and is eligible for intensive studies next summer.  From our three years  at the baby  summer camps,  the list of the things to bring is way overboard.  Bring 5 change of clothing of things that mix/match well.  For your age, bring 1 or  two dress outfits.  From what I gather, the weekly dance is a big deal.  Then, regardless, of your child's gender, a discussion of birds and bees.  These nerds seem to be trying to get it on with fellow nerds.  Try  searching CTY and your summer site--- maybe you can find some insight on your site's traditions.  For sure, have you child know the lyrics to  America Pie.    Prepare your child for this shock--there will probably be a few kids in the class who are amazingly smart.  The rest of the kids, like my son, are just normal extremely smart.

My son came home a couple of days ago and said his friends were talking about CTY camp.  He said "That camp doesn't sound like fun."  I said "Why?  It's supposed to be a camp for kids like you to meet other kids like you."  He replied "They said you have to get up every day at 6:30am and then you go to classes for the whole day!........that's just not my idea of summer vacation!  I want to sleep late."  :)

• Like 1

Check weather. My DD does a different summer program for GT kids, and we were a bit surprised by the list of stuff to bring-until she found that 30+ degree swings between day/night are common there. So yeah, she needed both light weight clothing for the day that provided good sun protection AND jeans and a jacket for at night.

I agree with finding out traditions for your specific site. I also suggest making/getting some contact cards with your child's name, e-mail, and any other information they wish to easily share with new friends, particularly if your program does not allow devices so kids can't put contacts straight into their phones. Whether or not it is an official tradition, it comes in handy.

Finally, my big rule for DD is "do not create any new rules". The one she goes to has some rules that have GOT to have a story behind them (including "No live animals in dormitories", "No unauthorized science experiments" and "no explosions".)

• Like 1

My son came home a couple of days ago and said his friends were talking about CTY camp.  He said "That camp doesn't sound like fun."  I said "Why?  It's supposed to be a camp for kids like you to meet other kids like you."  He replied "They said you have to get up every day at 6:30am and then you go to classes for the whole day!........that's just not my idea of summer vacation!  I want to sleep late."   :)

There are plenty of social activities.  Sure there is criticism, but none about it not being fun.

My son came home a couple of days ago and said his friends were talking about CTY camp.  He said "That camp doesn't sound like fun."  I said "Why?  It's supposed to be a camp for kids like you to meet other kids like you."  He replied "They said you have to get up every day at 6:30am and then you go to classes for the whole day!........that's just not my idea of summer vacation!  I want to sleep late."   :)

This would be my kid...I'm always looking for the stuff that does start until mid morning or are afternoon only.

• Like 1