Menu

AP/SAT and Student ID

I know there have been conversations about ID before, but I encountered a wrinkle this year I hadn't seen before, and thought I'd mention it.

AP has a student ID form that you're supposed to fill out if you don't have a license or other photo ID. They link to it in the AP parent bulletin that's distributed to schools. (The actual pdf is in the teacher files you can access when you get a syllabi approved.) The form requires you to attach your student's photograph. They're supposed to sign it in front of a notary, who then notarizes and signs the form, as well. 

The wording on the form is clearly meant as an affidavit on the part of the student. "I am the student pictured." It's meant to hold the student accountable if they're caught sending a stand-in to take the test. It does not require the notary to conclusively verify the identity of the student. However, in the state of Indiana, where we live, no notary can notarize a form without a photo ID from any other signatory. Thus, you can't get the photo ID stand-in form signed...without a photo ID. We did not realize this, because the last time we had this form done, the notary we used signed off on it with no problem. But three different notaries told us the exact same thing in this case. The Friday before our first exam. 

We ended up getting DS 15 a state-issued photo ID, but in Indiana, that means taking his birth certificate, SS card, and two pieces of mail proving the parent's address, b/c the parent has to sign an affidavit of residency for the underage applicant. And the permanent card takes 3-10 business days to arrive in the mail. So we took the temp ID form back to the notaries and had the College Board form notarized anyway, just to cover our bases. We took both to the exams.

I apologize for not posting sooner. We had multiple exams this week and a big bunch of drama with DS 11's theater class. But I figured posting now still might save others some hassle. I don't know if Indiana's alone in this, or if it's an issue in other states.

And yes, I know some schools just wave the kids in and don't ask for ID, but holy moly, when they're picky, they're uber-picky. 

• Like 8

Some schools are completely relaxed about it and it's no problem, so I don't want to freak anyone out. Our experience in our last town was simple and non-stressful, and honestly, the school hosting us this year has been lovely, as well.

That other thread with the horror story about showing up "too late" to take the exam is exactly what we all worry about, isn't it? The school's attitude was totally unnecessary. At DS's APES exam on Monday, I know two students were admitted late...as much as halfway through the exam. They're an urban school with plenty of disadvantaged students, and I'm sure they used their discretion and knowledge of the situation to make a decision. So schools don't have to be unyielding...but they can be. I try to over-prepare.

Edited by Saille
  • Like 2

Very helpful post, OP!  Getting a state-issued ID is probably a good idea to consider for everyone with a student approaching high school.

We went the notary route the first time DD took a standardized test (PSAT). Our state's notary rules are pretty easy to comply with, so we had no issues here.  I could foresee problems, though, (For example, the public high school using the notarized document as an excuse to throw a spanner in the works.  Yes, they can be that bad.) so I went ahead and got DD a state-issued ID. 

• Like 3

Some schools are completely relaxed about it and it's no problem, so I don't want to freak anyone out. Our experience in West Lafayette was simple and non-stressful, and honestly, the Indianapolis school hosting us this year has been lovely, as well.

That other thread with the horror story about showing up "too late" to take the exam is exactly what we all worry about, isn't it? The school's attitude was totally unnecessary. At DS's APES exam on Monday, I know two students were admitted late...as much as halfway through the exam. They're an urban school with plenty of disadvantaged students, and I'm sure they used their discretion and knowledge of the situation to make a decision. So schools don't have to be unyielding...but they can be. I try to over-prepare.

The school that admitted students late should have all of their AP scores cancelled this year. That is the consequence for not following College Board rules. They do have to be unyielding to protect themselves. I know you all don't see it that way, but it's the truth.

• Like 3

Very helpful post, OP!  Getting a state-issued ID is probably a good idea to consider for everyone with a student approaching high school.

I would probably go ahead and make it a passport if the cost difference doesn't hurt to much, just in case some opportunity presents itself to your kid to go abroad.

• Like 6

We got a state ID for DD before she did Talent search testing, even though under 13's aren't supposed to need photo ID-I'd heard too many horror stories. It ended up coming in handy because she needed proof of residency for in-state tuition at the CC and her photo ID was sufficient. I definitely think it's worth it.

• Like 2

We got our 15 yr old a state ID for CLEP testing. She only had the paper print out version from the DMV when she took the test, but they didn't bat an eye. (I didn't think about it until the last minute, also. Thus, the temporary ID. :) )

That's weird, I thought every state must be printing them on the spot now. Our state does, and we are not known for our forward-thinking!

The school that admitted students late should have all of their AP scores cancelled this year. That is the consequence for not following College Board rules. They do have to be unyielding to protect themselves. I know you all don't see it that way, but it's the truth.

I agree that no one should be admitted once the testing has actually started.  It is unfair to the students who are taking the test and are interrupted.

I also think we generally don't consider the extreme lengths that some people will go to in order to get high scores on the exams.

People will sit for SATs in other time zones and then call test items in to areas that haven't started the test.  Test prep centers will pay for test questions, in order to make books of questions, knowing that they are sometimes reused.  

People will hire other people to take their tests.  

One year there were test answers or other helps associated with water bottles, either in small font on replacement labels or in devices hidden on the bottom of the bottles that could be seen through the water.

• Like 1

That's weird, I thought every state must be printing them on the spot now. Our state does, and we are not known for our forward-thinking!

When we first moved here, ours were printed on spot.  When I went in to renew mine, it was paper and then mailed.  Our location is now considered a satellite location, whereas before it was an actual driving test location.  I don't know if that is the difference. It just surprises me that that piece of printing paper is considered a legal form of identification. 

I apologize for not posting sooner. We had multiple exams this week and a big bunch of drama with DS 11's theater class. But I figured posting now still might save others some hassle. I don't know if Indiana's alone in this, or if it's an issue in other states.

Out of all the useful advice you provided, this caught my eye.  Because if I'm paying for a theater class, I would consider "a big bunch of drama" to be worth the money.   :lol:

• Like 8

The College Board also has a form that you can print out if your student is too young to have driver's permit and you don't want to bother with a state ID.  My kids have all used this form.  All I had to do was take the form to our public school and have them notarize it.  For us, this was much easier than waiting in long lines at the DMV.   The form is valid for 1 year.

The College Board also has a form that you can print out if your student is too young to have driver's permit and you don't want to bother with a state ID.  My kids have all used this form.  All I had to do was take the form to our public school and have them notarize it.  For us, this was much easier than waiting in long lines at the DMV.   The form is valid for 1 year.

Yep. That's the one no notary in Indiana will notarize without a photo ID.  :laugh:

• Like 4

It just surprises me that that piece of printing paper is considered a legal form of identification.

We recently got a passport card for my son, and the paper copy of the non-driver's ID was also accepted. I was surprised.

My state also doesn't issue an ID or Driver's License in the same day.

Is this a problem with Talent Search SAT/ACT tests, or just AP's?

For SAT, ACT, AP and also for AMC10, AMC12 and AIME. Not required but preferred for AMC8.

While not required for a child under 13 for SAT and ACT, the gatekeepers at some of my kids test sites check that kids have a valid non-expired photo ID and admission ticket before letting them into the "locked down" school compound. My kids use their passports as it is easier than explaining about talent search at 7:45am.

I don't think there is an under 13 years old photo ID exception for AP exams. The gatekeepers we encountered do check the expiry dates on passports and school issued student ids. For example my local public school issues student ids and they are valid for an academic year only.

ETA:

DS12 already reached typical high school height two years ago so it was just easier to proof age by passport then to convince the ACT/SAT gatekeeper that he is under 13. He is approximately 5' 9" now.

The AP coordinator was surprised at DS12's height during his recent AP exam. DS11's height is typical for a 6th grader and so people just accept he is under 13.

Edited by Arcadia

Is this a problem with Talent Search SAT/ACT tests, or just AP's?

He took the SAT for talent search and I remember there being a different form for under 13s doing talent search stuff. I'll see if I can find it. He was visibly younger than any of the other kids, which I think helped. But I'll def. be getting my current 13 y.o. a state ID beforehand, b/c I am never going through that again.

• Like 1

We got our kids passports a few years back because we were thinking about going on a mission trip with our church and wanted to have the passports "just in case."   The passport has come in handy SO many times for DS!   He turns 15 in a few weeks, so he'll be getting his learner's permit then, but he has used his passport as ID for SAT subject exams (twice), PSAT, and to open a bank account.   We also had some state athletic association forms for his cross country team that needed to be notarized because he is homeschooled, and the notary said she would not have been able to notarize his form without a photo ID.   

Yep. That's the one no notary in Indiana will notarize without a photo ID.

It must be a thing in Florida, too.