Menu

When should boys stop playing with lego? Explanation added.

When should one stop playing lego?  

302 members have voted

1. 1. When should one stop playing lego?

• The ages written on the box are there for a reason.
    • Until the tween years, then its time to move on.
    • Never.
    • What are lego?
    • Other. Please explain.

My almost 16 year old told me yesterday about the set he wants for his birthday next month. He is also working on building a 2-foot high trebuchet out of LEGO, but is having a bit of trouble getting the counterweight just right. 😀

• Like 2

I stopped playing with Lego when I was 12 or 13 years old.  Then picked it up again in my 20s.  Then stopped for a few more years and picked it up again when Lego Friends came out.  So I said Never.

What that play looks like will likely change as the child grows up.

• Like 1

What they all said. I find the questions conflicting -- what is the norm? vs "when should....?"

There is no "should" in my book. A person "should" stop playing with Lego whenever he or she decides it's no longer interesting. Until then....no limits. 

The norm......well, in my house, the oldest moved to building vs playing when he was around 13 or 14, but as the younger boys kept playing, he quietly reinserted himself back into their (long, on-going) games. The Legos do all live in the youngest son's room now (he's 12.5), but both the 16 yr old and the 19 yr old, and sometimes DH, pop in and play, build, etc. still. 

For Christmas this past year, the 19 yr old supervised a "Lego Advent Box" they built as a surprise for dh & I every night. The constructed a Christmas themed box, placed a number on top (that they changed nightly) and each day created a new winter/Christmas themed scene for us to open and find in the morning. It was incredible and fun. Every year they also build ornaments for the tree out of Lego, some standards, and some new ones each year. They all still ask for Lego/spend their money on Lego (just yesterday the 19 yr old mentioned some Star Wars sets being retired that he wants to get before they're gone....), have various pieces on display in their rooms, and have told me in no uncertain terms that the tradition of Lego mini-figures in stockings & easter eggs is not to go away yet, if ever. 

So...."the norm" in this house is that the Lego usage may change, but it doesn't seem to stop. 

• Like 4

I voted never but ds, a devoted Lego Lover, stopped regularly playing with them around 13. If he's around a child who's playing with them, he'll get down on the floor and start building. When my niece's husband was still her boyfriend, if they came over to visit, he would always spend time playing Lego with ds. He saved his childhood Lego pieces to give to a future son - their son is now 9 and is a true Lego Lover too. 

So, a Lego fan will always enjoy playing with them. When they stop playing with them regularly or stop requesting new kits/bricks will vary. The late tween/early teen years seem to be the norm around here.

• Like 1

Heeheehee... Should? It's not a should question, I think. Should sounds like a judgment, and what's to judge about having fun in a way that isn't the least bit harmful? There is much to be said for being young at heart, even when still technically young in age. As long as a child is maturing into a young adult in a steady way, I can't see this as a big deal.

...says the mom who has the complete LEGO winter village which is assembled and added to each Christmas...and who just purchased the Assembly Square for a family Christmas gift...

DS and I love to build the winter village every year! We don't have all the sets yet, but try to add on a set every year or so. 

So I'm voting never.  :001_smile:

• Like 1

My almost 15-year-old decided to pare down his Lego collection last summer/fall, which meant he gave away a big bucket of random pieces to a younger kid from church.   He still has a bunch of "display" pieces, mostly Star Wars Lego sets, and still builds some with his Mindstorms robotic set.    But since he's started high school, he definitely has less time for building.   He'd love some of the expensive architectural sets, but he will need to save his money to get those.

So...."the norm" in this house is that the Lego usage may change, but it doesn't seem to stop. 

Same here. Ds16 transitioned a few years ago from building with them to using them as movie characters and props. He's done some really fun and creative things with them.

I don't understand the question. "Done" with LEGO? I don't compute. I just turned 40, and I got a LEGO set for my birthday. 3yo son got it in his head that Mommy should get a set, and so DH was happy to oblige. 3yo son and I had fun assembling it together. He was so pleased! It was my first set.

• Like 5

My almost 14 year old still plays with Legos. Why not? It's a great toy to to play with. He makes trucks and designs one each a little differently.

Ds started with just bricks. Even after he started getting kits, he'd build the kit, display it for a while then take it apart to use the bricks for something else. All bricks, even those that went to a kit, eventually ended up mixed together in the bins.

I voted "never."  My BIL would always get my kids a large Lego kit ... like the Space Shuttle one year and an aircraft carrier another year.  And they would open it right away and BIL would sit an help them put it together.  I think the gift was just as much for BIL as it was for my kids.  I'm sad that mine don't play with theirs anymore, but they don't want to get rid of them. 

ETA:  When my oldest was into robotics, he entered a lego robotics competitions (nothing like FLL or anything.)  One of the events was sumo wrestling with robots.  There were more adults entered than kids.  Ds's robot advanced 3 rounds, getting beat by the eventual winner, a 50 year old man. 

Edited by dirty ethel rackham

What is the "norm?"  

Eta: Poll added.  Explanation for question to come later.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

The poll results were exactly as I expected.   :)

And yes, the question was worded intentionally.

Extended family member, who will be known as Mr. Moneybags and would have no problem being referred to as such, asked ds what he would like for his birthday.  Mr. Moneybags likes to spend $$$ for certain children's birthdays.  DS, who LOVES Star Wars and Lego, requested a specific Lego set knowing it would be in the price range and one we likely wouldn't purchase.  Mr. Moneybags has repeatedly told DS and me privately on the phone that while he purchased said Lego set, he didn't know why a 13 year old boy should be still playing with Lego.  Of course, DS "should" play with Lego if he so desires.  Lest you think I think it is merely a boy's toy, I do not.  My girls have Lego too, that was just not part of Mr. Moneybags concern.

Edited to add: Younger DS whose birthday is a couple of weeks from older Lego loving DS requested a tablet.  Mr. Moneybags had no problem with that request.   :rolleyes:

My daughter worked at the Lego store for almost a year. There are thousands of teen and adult Lego enthusiasts, including my dd (now 20yo) and every employee she worked with as well as her 16yo brother. She sold tons of sets to collectors of all ages. Your son may well enjoy Legos for the rest of his life. 

• Like 2

NEVER. We spent lotsa dollah on it, buddy!

Birthdays, Christmas, fun....want, need, new product line...When we moved last time, one of my ds invited eldest son to come get the Legos and he took them all. I didn't know. I'm still heartbroken. Yes, they hurt the feet but are perfectly containable now that there are no little ones living here. 

I LOVE LEGOS. There's a guy on pinterest who makes funny scenarios with Lego guys, and other guys plenty of other places. Love Lego guys & gals...

At least Mr Moneybags probably did get what your son requested instead of substituting your son's choice with something else. Still it is rude to repeatedly question your son on his choice for birthday present but I do have aunts and uncles who do that too.

We have a Lego User Group here that is mostly adults. We also have an annual Lego Convention here.

"Bricks by the Bay is a four day long celebration of all things LEGO, where hobbyists, artists, fans and enthusiasts come together to learn, share and play."

https://www.bricksbythebay.com/en/