Menu

Reading Curricula like BJU?

sangtarah

We are moving, and I have BJU Reading sets (grades 1, 2, 3 and 5) taking up two shelves and a lot of weight. They are not the newest edition, which will make finding workbooks for the two youngest in our house improbable (ages 3 and newborn).

Is there another reading program like BJU that doesn't have so many heavy TM's?

Would it be worth it to sell these sets and invest in a new program?

Oldest has gone through them all, second is through grade 2. Overall i have been satisfied with the stories and workbook exercises, although I could do without the phonics reinforcement, since we don't follow BJU's phonics.

Grr...that's the issue I have with BJU too. All of those darn editions. From what I've gathered, CLE is pretty great, but does not provide you with a variety of authors. Also. Mosdos Press seems to be quality but yes, big teacher manuals and quite expensive.

We really like CLE this year.  I felt like the topics covered were varied and thorough, and I love the character building application built right in.  We have used one level of BJU in the past and enjoyed that as well, but I think CLE is a better deal for the price and contains fewer bulky components.

• Like 1

I think I'll hold on to grades 1, 2, and 3. I'm not sure if I'll be able to find the student worktext in two or three years though...so maybe shedding them now would be smarter. I could always buy it used again. Does anyone know how long BJU continues to publish the worktexts of previous editions? 

Hmmmm ..... I might be the only person to say it but, ABeka Readers are awesome. You do not need a TM because all the comprehension questions are inside the readers. Although they do sell TM's you don't need them.

The down side is the expense though. I think $12 per book?? But you can get them used at places, put out the word that you need them or wait for an ABeka sale.

Edited by Mom27kidz

Hmmmm ..... I might be the only person to say it but, ABeka Readers are awesome. You do not need a TM because all the comprehension questions are inside the readers. Although they do sell TM's you don't need them.

The down side is the expense though. I think $12 per book?? But you can get them used at places, put out the word that you need them or wait for an ABeka sale.

I agree. The Abeka readers are great - much better then AAR and CLE ones that we have seen. I was able to find almost all the 1st grade readers on ebay for $20 total :) Check out used!