Menu

going rate for graduation gift cards?

HollyDay

I don't know what it is in my area.  I'd probably go along with what others have said, though I might not get any gift for a distant friend (depending on definition). Last year we received a bunch of announcements from old friends that we haven't seen or had much contact with in about 8 years.  We just sent congratulatory notes.

Are you friends with the piano teacher's son or is it an obligation sort of gift?  (You don't have to answer that.  I know that a lot of people send gifts to the children of friends even when there is no actual relationship with the child/graduate because they feel obligated to give a gift.)

I don't know what it is in my area.  I'd probably go along with what others have said, though I might not get any gift for a distant friend (depending on definition). Last year we received a bunch of announcements from old friends that we haven't seen or had much contact with in about 8 years.  We just sent congratulatory notes.

Are you friends with the piano teacher's son or is it an obligation sort of gift?  (You don't have to answer that.  I know that a lot of people send gifts to the children of friends even when there is no actual relationship with the child/graduate because they feel obligated to give a gift.)

I count distant friends as someone that I am friends with the parent but not friends with the kid.  Or, a friend of my kid that I don't know very well. If I had not had much contact with parents OR kids, I would be fine as you mentioned, just sending a card.

Close friends would be kids that I actually know and have been involved with directly.  Example:  Science team with lots of kids, I am friends with the parents.  Most kids = $25.  Science team kids that we were partnered with and spent a lot of time studying with, etc. = $50.

Wow!  I might back down to $10-15 in that case. I just wouldn't have the cash.

Ha!  I am carefully evaluating the difference between "distant" and "close" friends!  :tongue_smilie:

This thread is very helpful. I almost started one like it myself!

• Like 2

We get about 25 graduation announcements per year due to being 4H educators. So we do $10 for anyone who is not family or close personal friends. $25 for friends' kids, and $50 for family or very close friends. We have rocket team members who will receive $50 at their graduations.

• Like 2

I've done the year, so $20.17 for not particularly close friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up that trick here on this board. Not sure if it was from you or somebody else, but it seems easier to pass off as being "cute" rather than just cheap.

• Like 2

If I have zero relationship with the graduate including distant relatives, nothing.

If we have a good relationship with the graduate- $20

If we have a close relationship with the graduate (niece/nephew,  BFF, etc) $50

We will ONLY send graduation announcements to close family & friends.  Sending them to anyone else just smacks of a gift grab to me. Kind of like expecting moms that invite Susy's aunt's cousin's girlfriend Sara to her baby shower.

• Like 1

I've done the year, so $20.17 for not particularly close friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We do this.

Diamond got several "$20.13" gifts.

And I don't care if it looks cheap, I give $5 gift cards to very casual friends. And it is actually common, almost expected, that kids go to each other's parties but no gifts/gift cards/cash unless they're close friends who spend a lot of time together outside of school. Those would be the friends that SweetChild drives herself to the party, and DH & I and sisters do not go.