Menu

My newest guilty pleasure

Home'scool

For anyone who has been following my saga, maybe you'll understand a bit where I am coming from haha.

By the time I get home from work every night I am exhausted physically and mentally I am running at the lowest possible level. I literally cannot follow a good book or anything too involved on t.v.

So lately I have been going to be early, propping my Ipad up on some pillows, and watching ..... The Love Boat!

It is so bad! The acting, the story lines, the sets ..... all so cheesy. Yet it is perfect for my brain right now.

It's funny to see the "cruise ship" now because it looks so small. None of the cabins have balconies, the pool is tiny, and the dining room looks like something from a bad VFW hall. At the time this was supposed to be the height of cruising! I think the number of passengers they could have on board was 600.

The crew members are all stalkers. All they do is hang over the railing ogling women. As soon as some woman boards Doc, Gopher or even the Captain start sexually harassing her for a date.

The funniest is watching all the extras in the background trying to look like they are mingling and having fun. They will have people lounging in chairs while a group of people are exercising right on top of them while others are playing shuffleboard right on top of the exercisers.

And don't even get me going on about the bathing suits with the pantyhose and heels! None of this registered to me when I was watching the show in the 70's haha.

Sigh ... someday I will get my brain and energy back once my life stops being a soap opera, but for now this is what I am doing to keep my sanity.

• Like 37

For anyone who has been following my saga, maybe you'll understand a bit where I am coming from haha.

By the time I get home from work every night I am exhausted physically and mentally I am running at the lowest possible level. I literally cannot follow a good book or anything too involved on t.v.

So lately I have been going to be early, propping my Ipad up on some pillows, and watching ..... The Love Boat!

It is so bad! The acting, the story lines, the sets ..... all so cheesy. Yet it is perfect for my brain right now.

It's funny to see the "cruise ship" now because it looks so small. None of the cabins have balconies, the pool is tiny, and the dining room looks like something from a bad VFW hall. At the time this was supposed to be the height of cruising! I think the number of passengers they could have on board was 600.

The crew members are all stalkers. All they do is hang over the railing ogling women. As soon as some woman boards Doc, Gopher or even the Captain start sexually harassing her for a date.

The funniest is watching all the extras in the background trying to look like they are mingling and having fun. They will have people lounging in chairs while a group of people are exercising right on top of them while others are playing shuffleboard right on top of the exercisers.

And don't even get me going on about the bathing suits with the pantyhose and heels! None of this registered to me when I was watching the show in the 70's haha.

Sigh ... someday I will get my brain and energy back once my life stops being a soap opera, but for now this is what I am doing to keep my sanity.

This made me laugh.  I used to love that show.

• Like 1

I great big puffy heart love The Love Boat.  My kids, however, do not appreciate it's awesome cheesiness.  Unlike me as a child they immediately recognized the fact that the show is about the crew members hooking up with passengers.  I love trying to explain to them who the famous actors are.  I watched an episode yesterday that was all about fashion.  Bob Mackie, Halston, and Gloria Vanderbilt all had a guest spot as themselves.

My perfect Saturday night babysitting gig was watching The Love Boat followed by Fantasy Island.

• Like 7

The Love Boat was cheesy even in its day, but it was still fun. 

When I was at that point I had started watching Murder, She Wrote last fall.

I started watching it on Netflix. I was getting frustrated at how the police were always so dumb and couldn't see who the real murderer was but I was enjoying it anyway. Then one day it disappeared from Netflix (I don't keep up with what's leaving Netflix) and I haven't been able to find it anywhere. I was only 2 seasons in so I had a lot left to watch. :(

Im watching Golden Girls. same reason.

I've been watching it on Hulu. It's dated but still funny. I find myself laughing out loud often while watching. I did get annoyed a few times when they made it sound like Disney World was just a short ride from MIami. 

Agatha Raisin fit that bill for me last year for a while.

I enjoyed that too but it's not quite the same as a cheesy show from the 70s or 80s. :)

Edited by Lady Florida.

I've loved the Love Boat ever since I was a little girl watching age-inappropriate shows. I used to wish that Captain Stubing was my dad.  :laugh:

I found this bit of awesomeness too. New-Fragrance-by-Hormel.jpg

Wait... Hormel? Like the meat and sausage people?

I have fond memories of my friend, onstage at a punk rock show, belting out the Love Boat theme song.

• Like 2

I started watching it on Netflix. I was getting frustrated at how the police were always so dumb and couldn't see who the real murderer was but I was enjoying it anyway. Then one day it disappeared from Netflix (I don't keep up with what's leaving Netflix) and I haven't been able to find it anywhere. I was only 2 seasons in so I had a lot left to watch. :(

The same thing happened to Columbo—at least I didn't notice anything indicating it was going to be taken off Netflix.

• Like 1

I've loved the Love Boat ever since I was a little girl watching age-inappropriate shows. I used to wish that Captain Stubing was my dad. :laugh:

I found this bit of awesomeness too. New-Fragrance-by-Hormel.jpg

Omygosh... I'm dyin' over here...

Samurai Gourmet. It's a cute show about nothing. Okay, a guy eating at restaurants pictures how a samurai would behave in the same situation. Totally mindless and nothing happens. But it's a fun break for the brain.

We're watching Mary Tyler Moore, which was a natural progression after finishing the Dick Van Dyke Show.

I love the Mary Tyler Moore show! I got it on DVD and every single episode opens with the theme song, and I watch the opening Every.Single.Time!

"Who can turn the world on with her smile......."

I also love the old Rhoda shows. I was so bummed at my old job -- when someone in the office would call my phone I would answer "Hello this is Carlton your doorman" but they were all too young to know what I was talking about!!

• Like 2

I love the Mary Tyler Moore show! I got it on DVD and every single episode opens with the theme song, and I watch the opening Every.Single.Time!

"Who can turn the world on with her smile......."

I also love the old Rhoda shows. I was so bummed at my old job -- when someone in the office would call my phone I would answer "Hello this is Carlton your doorman" but they were all too young to know what I was talking about!!

Yes, we got them on DVD because no one streams them. Dd and I have had some great discussions stemming from plotlines. I'm trying to choose between Rhoda and Bob Newhart for our next series. And should I keep the MTM dvds or sell the set when we're done? Decisions...

I love to relax in front of an old TV show! So do my kids, lol. My youngest is starting to sound a bit like Ricky Ricardo... "What is that THIN?" 

DD10 has an American Girl doll named Tyler, after Mary Tyler Moore.

The Dick Van Dyke show is one of the all-time favorites here.

My DH and I have been watching Bob Newhart. He got me the complete set of DVDs for my birthday last year.  The men in plaid pants and giant collars are really something!

• Like 1

The real question is, do you have Fantasy Island loaded and ready to go after each episode? Love Boat is not complete without a segue to Fantasy Island.

How did I miss kewb beat me to it! We must be the same age, because that's exactly where I watched all my Love Boat/Fantasy Island.

Edited by Barb_
  • Like 5

I watched a few episodes of Land of the Lost with the children about 5 years ago. They could not believe that I was afraid of the sleestacks when I was little, "they are so fake." The shows got repetitive fast but I did enjoy the awesome fakiness and cheesiness and 70s clothes for a few episodes.

I also enjoyed a few McGuivers with my son. My husband quit after two, I watched about a half dozen before they got old and I started reading a book while watching with him, looking up if there was a particularly cool scene or explosion.

My husband quit after 2 minutes of Land of the Lost, LOL.

• Like 2

:lol: I was never a Land of the Lost fan but my mom and little brother used to watch it. I remember the sleestacks giving him nightmares.

My kids had seen one particular Star Trek monster that scared them a bit but laughed at the sleestacks in comparison.

My 7 year old daughter and I have been spending some quality mom/daughter time watching the first 2 seasons of Punky Brewster. Totally cheesy but ao much fun and a nostalgic!

Whippersnapper. The (much) younger cousin I used to babysit for in my Love Boat days was a big Punky Brewster fan.

Yes, we got them on DVD because no one streams them. Dd and I have had some great discussions stemming from plotlines. I'm trying to choose between Rhoda and Bob Newhart for our next series. And should I keep the MTM dvds or sell the set when we're done? Decisions...

Hmmmmm Rhoda vs. Bob Newhart. That's a close one. But I think I would choose Rhoda. The characters on that show are just so great. I just can't watch the seasons where she and Joe break up. It's too sad!

:lol: I was never a Land of the Lost fan but my mom and little brother used to watch it. I remember the sleestacks giving him nightmares.

I used to watch Land of the Lost but only because I had a crush on the older son. And the sleestacks kinda freaked me out.

If my kids saw the sleestacks now they would laugh at me! They weren't afraid of the Bumble from Rudolph or the mean wizard from Santa Claus is Coming to Town ..... I guess our generation were just wimps when we were little! haha

• Like 2

I haven't shared the old shows with my kids because I have a hard time getting past the casual incidental sexism. Maybe it's because I have all girls, but as a mom I found a lot of them don't age well.

It's a really good opportunity to discuss the women's liberation movement, society's perceptions and expectations of women, and how times have (or have not) changed.

• Like 3

I haven't shared the old shows with my kids because I have a hard time getting past the casual incidental sexism. Maybe it's because I have all girls, but as a mom I found a lot of them don't age well.

I watch old shows with my kids we can discuss how that was once normal and how we now know better.  

They did not show the proper respect for Sigmeund the Seamonster or HR Puffinstuff.  Rotten children.

• Like 4

It's a really good opportunity to discuss the women's liberation movement, society's perceptions and expectations of women, and how times have (or have not) changed.

Yeah I know, but I watch very little tv at all--I can't sit still lol. I realized early on that netflixing Bewitched or I dream of Jeannie for the elementary schoolers to watch by themselves wasn't such a great idea. The sexism just washed over me as a kid. I'm sure it would stand out so much that maybe they wouldn't even like some of the old shows. It's funny how perception changes as society changes.

I used to watch Land of the Lost but only because I had a crush on the older son. And the sleestacks kinda freaked me out.

If my kids saw the sleestacks now they would laugh at me! They weren't afraid of the Bumble from Rudolph or the mean wizard from Santa Claus is Coming to Town ..... I guess our generation were just wimps when we were little! haha

I was terrified of the Christmas monsters! Why were there always Christmas monsters?

• Like 2