Menu

Frugalistas April 30th - May 6

mommyoffive

Bank account was empty yesterday, but today is payday! I need clothes. It's getting warm and in trying to find something to wear to an informal outdoor ice cream social on Sunday I discovered I own two workout tees, two worn out tees not appropriate for public a frayed around the edges polo and two short sleeved button downs with missing buttons. I chose the frayed polo. Lol. Anybody wanna shop for warm weather clothes for me? I hate it. (Obviously)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not bad here. We ate out once but within budget. Got some money socked away into savings. Mostly, we've been too busy to spend money.

The next few months may potentially be quite expensive. To the tune of $10,000. But it should ultimately make us money. The housing market in our neighborhood seems to have finally recovered. 3 houses have sold in the last 2 months at the price point we want to sell at. And a 4th went on the market on Monday. If it sells quickly like the others we're going to meet with a realtor to see what they think we can get for our house. We'll need to replace 2 sliding doors, carpet, hardwood floors, new tile in bathrooms and paint in order to sell at our top price point but it'll be worth it. We can do most of the work ourselves so should be able to get it done for $10,000.

Paid my medical bills yesterday.  More to come!  So far it hasn't been as bad as I expected.

I ordered my kids glasses.  After the insurance discount I believe I paid $450 for the 2 pairs.  These are for ordinary plastic lenses and no fancy options (though one is getting bifocals).  Still, less than I paid the last 2 times for my eldest.  I hope they love these glasses, because they aren't getting new ones for several years.

Kids had horse riding and attended a special gymnastics clinic - total cost $160 for both girls.

Summer horse camp schedule came out.  Lucky me, I'm able to use the quantity discount for June.  :)  June will cost me $1,000 (total 2 kids) for 7 days.  (Yes, that is expensive, I know.)  Then only 2 Saturdays in July, and an unknown amount in August (to include the Kiwanis horse show).

Now I still have to find something for one of my kids to do for one week in July.  Wouldn't you know the horse camp is closed that week.  Maybe the library will have a free camp open for her ... on some topic the other kid doesn't care for.

I'll be needing to place an Amazon order soon.  Clarinet oil, shoes for Bigfoot, a few other things.  I need my kids here to remind me what I'm supposed to buy.  I really wish Bigfoot's feet would wait until summer to bust out of her shoes.  Though, technically I could just tell her to wear her track shoes for the rest of the year.

Oh, speaking of school garb - I've been informed that my kids have to wear khaki pants and a solid-color t-shirt for their upcoming choir musical.  Of course we do not own such garments, and I don't really want to buy such things right before school lets out, as they are likely to grow before they wear them again.  And the absolute last thing my kids need is more t-shirts, LOL.  And who has time to go shopping for khaki pants my kids will wear?  Ugh.

Last but not least, today I need to go buy my colonoscopy prep items.  Woo hoo!  I'm gonna go hide now.  :P

Not bad here. We ate out once but within budget. Got some money socked away into savings. Mostly, we've been too busy to spend money.

The next few months may potentially be quite expensive. To the tune of $10,000. But it should ultimately make us money. The housing market in our neighborhood seems to have finally recovered. 3 houses have sold in the last 2 months at the price point we want to sell at. And a 4th went on the market on Monday. If it sells quickly like the others we're going to meet with a realtor to see what they think we can get for our house. We'll need to replace 2 sliding doors, carpet, hardwood floors, new tile in bathrooms and paint in order to sell at our top price point but it'll be worth it. We can do most of the work ourselves so should be able to get it done for $10,000.

AHHHH!!  So exciting!   So glad you saved that money early on.  

Have you started looking yet? 

Let us know how it plays out.

Are you moving to a bigger place? 

Edited by mommyoffive

Bank account was empty yesterday, but today is payday! I need clothes. It's getting warm and in trying to find something to wear to an informal outdoor ice cream social on Sunday I discovered I own two workout tees, two worn out tees not appropriate for public a frayed around the edges polo and two short sleeved button downs with missing buttons. I chose the frayed polo. Lol. Anybody wanna shop for warm weather clothes for me? I hate it. (Obviously)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am no help.  I suck at shopping and dressing.

But yeah it is kind of sad to see the things I have to pick from right now.  I need some new in style outfits.

AHHHH!! So exciting! So glad you saved that money early on.

Have you started looking yet?

Let us know how it plays out.

Are you moving to a bigger place?

If it plays out to where we can sell at the current price we'd have $40,000 from equity and $10,000 savings so a nice down payment. problem is we are potentially going to be having some form of career change soon. If so, that means we'll relocate to roughly twenty minutes from where we are now. If the career change doesn't happen we want to stay in our current area. What we will likely do if we can get the house on the market and sold quickly is stay with my parents until the career side is figured out.

I have been looking at houses in the area I want to live and there are some great for us houses on the market now. We're looking for slightly bigger house but location is more important. I want to be in walking distance of the local University. Preferable 4 bedrooms and as few bathrooms as possible!

If it plays out to where we can sell at the current price we'd have $40,000 from equity and $10,000 savings so a nice down payment. problem is we are potentially going to be having some form of career change soon. If so, that means we'll relocate to roughly twenty minutes from where we are now. If the career change doesn't happen we want to stay in our current area. What we will likely do if we can get the house on the market and sold quickly is stay with my parents until the career side is figured out.

I have been looking at houses in the area I want to live and there are some great for us houses on the market now. We're looking for slightly bigger house but location is more important. I want to be in walking distance of the local University. Preferable 4 bedrooms and as few bathrooms as possible!

I glad you have the option of staying with your parents.   Ha.  Nobody in our family would offer us that now that we have all these kids.  

Sounds like a great plan.

Lets see

Lots of bills paid

Some more airfare bought for traveling around Europe

Kids have a violin recital so buying shoes and outfits for that.  

Trying to book the stays for Europe.

Seeing if I want to pay $500 for 4 more weeks of violin lessons.   Hmmmm

Just paid swim team and lessons

Trying to figure out what our summer plans are. 

Should I sign the kids up for lots of classes or use that money and just go on another trip?

Both are so tempting. 

What would you guys do? 

Some things I would like to sign them up for swim team, lessons,  violin camp, lacrosse, volleyball, tennis, golf, dance, gymnastics, tumbling, summer school, martial arts, fencing, and yachting class.  Oh forgot about scouts. 

Have to find a new lawn guy as we called this guy lots and he never came.  Poop.

Ran 40 miles to the violin store all to have them say it was an easy fix the teacher could have and would have done if I could have explained it to her correctly.  Argh.

Took 4 kids to the dentist 1000 bucks there.  All covered.  Makes it nice to get some use out of the insurance. 

I still need to return the stuff I got from kohls. 

I sold some stuff on Swap.com

I decided that I like it.   It gets stuff out of my house with hardly any effort. 

Lets see

Lots of bills paid

Some more airfare bought for traveling around Europe

Kids have a violin recital so buying shoes and outfits for that.

Trying to book the stays for Europe.

Seeing if I want to pay $500 for 4 more weeks of violin lessons. Hmmmm

Just paid swim team and lessons

Trying to figure out what our summer plans are.

Should I sign the kids up for lots of classes or use that money and just go on another trip?

Both are so tempting.

What would you guys do?

Some things I would like to sign them up for swim team, lessons, violin camp, lacrosse, volleyball, tennis, golf, dance, gymnastics, tumbling, summer school, martial arts, fencing, and yachting class. Oh forgot about scouts.

Have to find a new lawn guy as we called this guy lots and he never came. Poop.

Ran 40 miles to the violin store all to have them say it was an easy fix the teacher could have and would have done if I could have explained it to her correctly. Argh.

Took 4 kids to the dentist 1000 bucks there. All covered. Makes it nice to get some use out of the insurance.

I still need to return the stuff I got from kohls.

I sold some stuff on Swap.com

I decided that I like it. It gets stuff out of my house with hardly any effort.

Go on another trip!

I glad you have the option of staying with your parents. Ha. Nobody in our family would offer us that now that we have all these kids.

Sounds like a great plan.

Yes, we are blessed. So much so that when I offer to pay rent my dad won't let me. He'll just tell me to save it and put it toward the house.

• Like 1

I just stopped by to make the rest of you feel better about your spending this week. My grandkids were here (they live 1400 miles from me and it's been 18 months since they were last here) and I.Spent.Money.

Ice cream, trampoline jump time, meals out while we were enjoying day trips, fruit splurges, etc.

I bought fabric for the two oldest (7 and 9) to make baby quilts to donate to an organization that requested them. 

And lots of quilt fabric for me and dd...it was so much fun to have her here!

I'll probably need smelling salts when I log on today to pay my credit card bill. But putting everything on the card gives me an accurate picture of exactly what I spent. And I regret none of the spending. There. I said it. 

• Like 2

I just stopped by to make the rest of you feel better about your spending this week. My grandkids were here (they live 1400 miles from me and it's been 18 months since they were last here) and I.Spent.Money.

Ice cream, trampoline jump time, meals out while we were enjoying day trips, fruit splurges, etc.

I bought fabric for the two oldest (7 and 9) to make baby quilts to donate to an organization that requested them. 

And lots of quilt fabric for me and dd...it was so much fun to have her here!

I'll probably need smelling salts when I log on today to pay my credit card bill. But putting everything on the card gives me an accurate picture of exactly what I spent. And I regret none of the spending. There. I said it. 

No need to regret it.  I think that means you spent your money mindfully.   Enjoy the memories of the grandkids and all the fun times you guys had.  

Worth every penny. 

• Like 2

No need to regret it.  I think that means you spent your money mindfully.   Enjoy the memories of the grandkids and all the fun times you guys had.  

Worth every penny. 

Thanks for that. I rarely have the chance to spoil the kids (and dd!) so when I do, I want to do it without friends telling me that I wasted money and that kids are happy with free things. We did plenty of that- geocaching was great fun but we also enjoyed a treat from the bakery when we were finished and 50 miles from home.    I have some IRL buddies who would lecture me on the money I needlessly spent so when they ask what we did I just gloss over it.  Boo. 

The house across the street is under contract. It was on the market for 5 days! Not sure how much it sold for. Time to contact our realtor or maybe the realtor who sold that house

Did you guys decide what to do?  

I was just looking in our area and it has been going crazy since last year.  I think it would be a great time for us to sell.  Only problem there is nothing that I would want to buy. 

I have thought about buying land and building....

It really  has me thinking we should do this.  

Did you guys decide what to do?

I was just looking in our area and it has been going crazy since last year. I think it would be a great time for us to sell. Only problem there is nothing that I would want to buy.

I have thought about buying land and building....

It really has me thinking we should do this.

No we haven't decided. It has been a busy weekend so we haven't had a chance to sit down and talk about it. I've been looking at houses in the area I'd like to be in. And there are not many listed currently. They are also just a little above our price range so it may be smarter to stay in this house for another year. Fix it up to list in March 201 and aggressively save until then. I think we will at least contact our realtor and get her input.