Menu

Salad Spinner

DawnM

Our plastic OXO salad spinner cracked and now leaks very badly.  We need a new one.

Suggestions?  Should I get a metal one instead of plastic?

The plastic one lasted several years, so I am not opposed to another plastic one.

Thoughts?

ETA:  The metal one is an OXO brand too.

Edited by DawnM

Just go for the oxo again. Mine lasted ten years only to die in a fire. I replaced it with the same spinner. Don't know if you stick it in the dishwasher but it'll last longer if you just hand rinse. Sometimes I use the strainer in a pinch to rinse canned beans or something, but I hand wash it.

I don't know if they are still available, but my Hoan salad spinner has lasted at least 25 years. It has a crank top instead of a pull string.

That's probably why the oxo lasts so long. The crank is a push button rather than a string. The others have a string? I can't imagine a string would last.

I like my Zyliss...everything.  Spinner, peeler, chopper, etc.  I find the string much easier for me to work than the pump.  But to each her own.

My absolute favorite is the Pampered Chef one.

One of the things I like about it is that it has two nesting spin containers--the small one is great for berries.

In theory you can use the outer clear hard plastic bowl for a salad bowl, but I don't usually do that.

Over the years I have bought some accessories for it, including a snap on cover (so that I can dump the spun salad fixings back into the bowl and take it to a potluck without anything spilling) and a freezer 'puck' that fits exactly right into the bottom of the bowl so you can keep things cool during a long trip.  It's been great.