Menu

Reputable "Save the Rainforests" organizations

MercyA

My daughter would like to raise some money to help save the rainforests and the animals who live in them. Admittedly I am not as familiar with environmental charities as with others. Any recommendations for reputable organizations doing effective work to stop deforestation and protect animals in rainforests would be appreciated! 

I would prefer that the organization not support hunting (as does WWF) and not be explicitly anti-religion.

Thanks for your help!  :)

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 2

Which rainforest does she want to save?

Exactly. It might be easier for her to narrow her focus to one geographic area and/or a specific animal whose habitat is in danger for both fund raising purposes and donating purposes. People giving donations would identify better with a specific area or animal. Then find an organization working directly with this.

• Like 1

Which rainforest does she want to save?

She is not particular.  ;)

For anyone else who is interested, I did find this group doing work in Costa Rica: Kids Saving the Rainforest. It was started by two 9-year-old girls years ago. One cool thing they do is place monkey bridges (basically ropes) across roads to make for safer travels for the endangered Titi monkey. The population of Titi monkeys has roughly doubled since the bridges were placed. That is the kind of practical solution I like to see. Plus, monkeys.

I also found Rainforest Trust, which is very highly rated on Charity Navigator: "Rainforest Trust partners with local, in-country conservation organizations around the world to strategically purchase and protect lands vital for wildlife conservation. We specifically target rainforests and tropical habitats that are critical for preventing species extinctions and that are exceptionally rich in biological diversity." It is much more general but I do like the high ratings for their financials, transparency, and accountability.

Thank you all for your input. Narrowing the focus is a good idea!

• Like 2

Defensores de la Naturaleza.  I am personally acquainted with members of this organization and can tell you that they do good and important work.  I recommend an earmark for this area, which is particularly vulnerable and in need of protection.

ETA  English language site: https://defensores.org.gt/en#conocenos

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 1

Defensores de la Naturaleza.  I am personally acquainted with members of this organization and can tell you that they do good and important work.  I recommend an earmark for this area, which is particularly vulnerable and in need of protection.

ETA  English language site: https://defensores.org.gt/en#conocenos

Thanks, bibiche! I thought someone on the board might personally know somebody. :) My daughter already participates in a yearly fundraiser for impoverished children in Guatemala, so she might be interested in environmental efforts there as well.

• Like 1