Menu

butter knives . . .

gardenmom5

after having a sit down dinner with friends - and actually using my everyday b&b plates, I realized I don't have butter knives.  so . . . . I need to get some.

My stainless is from costco, so not a named pattern I can go buy extra pieces.  I want to keep it casual.

here's one set-  very colorful - but would go with my dishes.  I think, the colors might be too bright.  (portmierion botanic garden)

I also thought about a solid white one, or an acrylic mother-of-pearl, or find a solid stainless.

options?

do they make you want to put sunglasses on?  they're 7" long.

s-l500.jpg

after having a sit down dinner with friends - and actually using my everyday b&b plates, I realized I don't have butter knives.  so . . . . I need to get some.

How often would you be using them? You don't need to get butter knives. You can have sit down dinners (is there any other kind?) without.

Get them if they make you happy and you think you use them often enough to make it worth storing yet more items. But get them because you want to - not because you think you "need" to. Nobody needs butter knives.

• Like 2

I do. I use mine everyday.

But that still does not mean you need them - one can spread butter with any knife.

If you use them and enjoy using them, perfect.

My point was that it is a "want"-item and not something the OP has to feel obliged to own.

• Like 1

How often would you be using them? You don't need to get butter knives. You can have sit down dinners (is there any other kind?) without.

Get them if they make you happy and you think you use them often enough to make it worth storing yet more items. But get them because you want to - not because you think you "need" to. Nobody needs butter knives.

buffets

picnics on a blanket

al fresco on the patio or the woods

standing on the go . . .

I'm not "getting" butter knives because of what someone else thinks.  I was only asking opinions on what this particular set look like.  and I prefer to use a butter knife for my roll - not a regular knife.

I asked ds - . . he cringed and asked "why?" . . . he thinks they're too bright.  and they do kinda make me want to put on sunglasses . . . .but they also make me laugh.

they come in a white handle.   I'm still looking. 

I do want everyday butter knives, and have looked occasionally.

Okay, call me unsophisticated, but I grew up calling regular / dinner knives "butter knives," I suppose to differentiate them from sharper "steak knives." Some people used a "butter spreader," particularly when they had company, but usually there was just one of those per butter dish. 

I can't imagine buying a whole set of knives just for spreading butter, but to each their own! Regarding the ones pictured, I think the colors are fun. 

• Like 11

But that still does not mean you need them - one can spread butter with any knife.

If you use them and enjoy using them, perfect.

My point was that it is a "want"-item and not something the OP has to feel obliged to own.

What is a regular knife? The knives in my flatware set have a teeny tiny serrated edge but not pronounced like my steak knives do. I call those knives in my flatware set butter knives. I use those every day for everything except cutting meat. Then I use my steak knives.

OP: I like the set you showed. I don't think they're too bright at all!

• Like 10

Okay, call me unsophisticated, but I grew up calling regular / dinner knives "butter knives," I suppose to differentiate them from sharper "steak knives." Some people used a "butter spreader," particularly when they had company, but usually there was just one of those per butter dish. 

This is my experience as well. What I call a cutter spreader is whats in the picture, they are more curvy. What do other people call the regular dinner knives? I thought they were officially butter knives. I learn something new everyday!

And I like the colors. If you do, too, and want them, then I am happy for your kitchen. :)

• Like 2

What is a regular knife? The knives in my flatware set have a teeny tiny serrated edge but not pronounced like my steak knives do. I call those knives in my flatware set butter knives. I use those every day for everything except cutting meat. Then I use my steak knives.

OP: I like the set you showed. I don't think they're too bright at all!

Yes I suspect it's a difference in terminology.  I call what you describe "butter knives", but they are for way more than just butter.

• Like 2

I love Portmeirion Botanic Garden!  Honestly?  I think those knives are too modern for it and the colors not quite right for it.  At least the top 3, if not all.

However!  If you invited me to your house I would be delighted to use them.  

I like having butter knives rather than using table knives for the purpose.  The smaller butter knife fits better on the butter dish.  I'm embracing the eclectic look in my flatware, as my "wedding" flatware was discontinued long ago.  I do try to keep it in the same general style.

ETA: I think the knife that is part of a typical set is called a dinner knife, not a table knife as I said.   I think dinner knives and butter knives are part of the larger category of table knives.   If you want to have some flatware fun, check out this page from replacements.com - all the info. on eating and serving utensils you could dream of! 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 2

I can't imagine buying a whole set of knives just for spreading butter, but to each their own! Regarding the ones pictured, I think the colors are fun. 

This is what I wanted to reply, but more much eloquent and succint. 

here's one set-  very colorful - but would go with my dishes.  I think, the colors might be too bright.  (portmierion botanic garden)

I also thought about a solid white one, or an acrylic mother-of-pearl, or find a solid stainless.

options?

I agree with your thoughts that they are possibly a bit too bright for your dishes. I also wonder if they would compete with the dishes.  I would probably go with one of the other options you mention. I have a mix of patterns (including some portmeirion botanic garden) and my butter knives are stainless, but white or acrylic mother-of-pearl would also work well.

The ones you posted might be better suited for Fiestaware or something similar. 

I agree with the others, though, get what makes you happy. The colors are fun and it looks like a nice set.

• Like 2

That's what I meant by "regular knife". Are they also called "table knife"? "Dinner knife"? I use those daily, too, of course.

"Butter knives" - I always thought these are shorter, with a blunt rounded edge and no serration? The ones that can't cut anything and can only be used to spread? If "table knives" are "butter knives", then what do you call the short round ones that are not used together with a fork?

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

That's what I meant by "regular knife". Are they also called "table knife"? "Dinner knife"? I use those daily, too, of course.

"Butter knives" - I always thought these are shorter, with a blunt rounded edge and no serration? The ones that can't cut anything and can only be used to spread? If "table knives" are "butter knives", then what do you call the short round ones that are not used together with a fork?

I have one of those. I grew up calling it a spreader, but maybe it's a butter knife? I've never heard the term table knife before.

I'm in awe when I watch cooking shows. There are so many knives and they all have different purposes. And other kitchen utensils. Good grief. I have to confess I'm rather ignorant in the kitchen.

• Like 1

Regentrude, I think you are describing a "master butter knife" or an "individual butter spreader" .

ETA: The purpose of the master butter knife is to dole out pats of butter on to one's plates. The individual butter spreader is used to then place the butter onto one's bread.  Otherwise, bread crumbs contaminate the butter.

The proper formal place setting should include four knives: salad, meat, fish, and butter.  It's ridiculous.

Edited by kbeal
  • Like 2

Regentrude, I think you are describing a "master butter knife" or an "individual butter spreader" .

ETA: The purpose of the master butter knife is to dole out pats of butter on to one's plates. The individual butter spreader is used to then place the butter onto one's bread.  Otherwise, bread crumbs contaminate the butter.

No, I was describing the things pictured in the link. 7 inch is shorter than a "regular" knife (whatever that is called), and they have a distinctly rounded tip which I do not associate with "regular" knives. They don't look like they can cut anything (but maybe the picture is not good?)

So maybe these are what you call "individual butter spreader"?

Or is it the knife that you actually use when you eat with knife and fork?

Edited by regentrude

MFG's link to the "couture butter knife" is what I would call an individual butter spreader. Each place setting should have one, according to my "fancy grandmother". It is placed near the individual bread plate.  The butter dish would have a master butter knife, distinguished by the notch near the tip of the blade so that it can be sorted away from the very similar dinner knives.

The "couture dinner knife" https://www.crateandbarrel.com/couture-dinner-knife/s253472 is what my Midwest farmwife grandma would call a butter knife (as distinguished from a steak knife). It would be placed on the table with a single plate, fork, spoon, and drinking glass. Grandma did not own fish knives--so everything on the table was either a butter knife or a steak knife, and the steak knives only came out if we had meat that was tough enough to need cutting.  She also did not use salad or dessert forks--one fork was used for everything.

"Butter Knife" is used in an overlapping and confusing way in regional dialect, which I think is feeding part of the confusion.  In the Midwest particularly, it is generally used to mean any blunt knife that is the same size as the matching fork and spoon. 

ETA: The purpose of the master butter knife is to dole out pats of butter on to one's plates. The individual butter spreader is used to then place the butter onto one's bread. Otherwise, bread crumbs contaminate the butter.

The proper formal place setting should include four knives: salad, meat, fish, and butter. It's ridiculous.

But fun. =D

I have never heard that Midwestern usage before. Live and learn!

My understanding is--a butter knife is the serving utensil with which you take butter from the common serving plate.  It's a little sharper than a spreader in case the butter is still on a cube and perhaps a bit cold.

The knife in the standard place setting is either called a dinner knife or a place knife.  It is the 'normal' knife that is always present.  Steak knives are extra, if needed.

The thing that you use on a BB plate is a butter spreader.  It has no real sharp edge, and it's more paddle shaped and shorter than the others, traditionally.

To me having all these things on the table is festive and kind of fun, like playing house.  But I don't do it every day.

To the OP--I love Portmerion, and I think I would look for butter spreaders with handles that are more or less the same green as the rim, or a coordinating green, or maybe a pale yellow.  I like your set, but I think that they are a little bright for the china.  Kind of like stripes with plaids--it CAN work, but it's a lot going on and when it fails, it does so spectacularly.  The light green and the yellow are nice and I think would complement that pattern--any chance you could pick just one or both of those colors?

• Like 1

Miss Manners has a wonderful chapter in her second book called "advanced silverware.  or what in the world is this?"   and goes on to describe how if you are rich enough, or have an old enough service - you won't know if dinner is to be served - or a hysterectomy performed.    I'm  sure that included fish rakes - and not forks.

MFG's link to the "couture butter knife" is what I would call an individual butter spreader. Each place setting should have one, according to my "fancy grandmother". It is placed near the individual bread plate.  The butter dish would have a master butter knife, distinguished by the notch near the tip of the blade so that it can be sorted away from the very similar dinner knives.

The "couture dinner knife" https://www.crateandbarrel.com/couture-dinner-knife/s253472 is what my Midwest farmwife grandma would call a butter knife (as distinguished from a steak knife). It would be placed on the table with a single plate, fork, spoon, and drinking glass. Grandma did not own fish knives--so everything on the table was either a butter knife or a steak knife, and the steak knives only came out if we had meat that was tough enough to need cutting.  She also did not use salad or dessert forks--one fork was used for everything.

"Butter Knife" is used in an overlapping and confusing way in regional dialect, which I think is feeding part of the confusion.  In the Midwest particularly, it is generally used to mean any blunt knife that is the same size as the matching fork and spoon. 

I had NEVER heard a dinner knife referred to as a butter knife until I was searching for a specific type of butter knife on ebay - and kept getting what I would call a dinner knife.

I have never heard that Midwestern usage before. Live and learn!

My understanding is--a butter knife is the serving utensil with which you take butter from the common serving plate.  It's a little sharper than a spreader in case the butter is still on a cube and perhaps a bit cold.

The knife in the standard place setting is either called a dinner knife or a place knife.  It is the 'normal' knife that is always present.  Steak knives are extra, if needed.

The thing that you use on a BB plate is a butter spreader.  It has no real sharp edge, and it's more paddle shaped and shorter than the others, traditionally.

To me having all these things on the table is festive and kind of fun, like playing house.  But I don't do it every day.

To the OP--I love Portmerion, and I think I would look for butter spreaders with handles that are more or less the same green as the rim, or a coordinating green, or maybe a pale yellow.  I like your set, but I think that they are a little bright for the china.  Kind of like stripes with plaids--it CAN work, but it's a lot going on and when it fails, it does so spectacularly.  The light green and the yellow are nice and I think would complement that pattern--any chance you could pick just one or both of those colors?

My grandmother was from the midwest - and I had never heard a dinner knife referred to as a butter knife.  at least not that I ever remember.

luncheon knives

place knives

dinner knives

fish knives

steak knives

butter knives/spreaders - no serrations  (the terms are used interchangeably).  goes across the top of the b&b plate. 

if you don't have a b&b plate and are putting your roll on the plate - then use the dinner knife since you don't have somewhere to put a butter knife/spreader.

fruit /cheese knives (have serrations.  can also be used as a butter knife/similar shape)

traditional multi courses included a fruit and cheese course

and no - I don't have all of them.  and yes, we've done dinners with multiple courses.  I think as many as eight?   they're fun.

master butter knife falls in the 'serving pieces' catagory

and yeah - I'm afraid they're too bright.  I'll try and find a stainless.   or get the white. . . . . . these are my "everyday", not my china and silver.  (dh really wants the difference.)

• Like 1

Lenox Butterfly Meadow

81vfxRh7dIL._AC_UL130_.jpg

Portmeirion also has some in sts of six. They've been discontinued, but are readily available on ebay.

And cocktail forks, and iced tea spoons- which I want every time we have chocolate mousse because it would be easier than a teaspoon.

• Like 1

I love them, but I'm quirky that way.  :)   To me, they're kinda tame, but I don't say that to disparage them.  I say that because they're just nice and fun and if you love them, get them.  They're just colors after all.  Have fun with them.  :)

• Like 1

I found an old stainless pattern that is pretty  . . .so, I'm thinking.

s-l500.jpg

but the knives all look tarnished - so I've no idea how much stainless they actually are. . . .but they're pretty.  I really don't want the portmeirion ones. 

• Like 1

Portmeirion also has some in sts of six. They've been discontinued, but are readily available on ebay.

And cocktail forks, and iced tea spoons- which I want every time we have chocolate mousse because it would be easier than a teaspoon.

Iced tea spoons are also great for stirring coffee in commuter mugs.  The perfect length!

• Like 1

I found an old stainless pattern that is pretty  . . .so, I'm thinking.

s-l500.jpg

but the knives all look tarnished - so I've no idea how much stainless they actually are. . . .but they're pretty.  I really don't want the portmeirion ones. 

Just a thought...

Depending on your lifestyle/decorating style, these could be enjoyed every day by having them sitting out somewhere -- tarnish and all. Definitely depends on the overall vibe of your kitchen/dining room, though.

You could then polish them when you plan to use them, but enjoy them "as is" the rest of the time.

Edited by Woodland Mist Academy

Ok so you need knives that are only for spreading butter?

My question is, why? LOL

There are so many knives and they all have different purposes.

I'm genuinely asking... do they spread differently than a regular table knife?

I grew up using butter knifes at French styled cafes. I bought some stainless steel ones probably from CostPlus world market and my kids took them. They like using the butter knives more than the dinner knives. The butter knives are smaller, lighter and easier for my kids to handle than using regular dinner knives.

My side of the extended family is picky about table settings at home and eating out. First picture in link is the table setting my relatives are used to for European style restaurants. http://labadiane-hanoi.com/spice-conners/refinded-table-settings-french/

http://labadiane-hanoi.com/spice-conners/refinded-table-settings-french/

ETA:

My extended family is picky about colors so we stick with stainless steel. We clean tarnished silver by soaking in Coca-Cola.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

I grew up using butter knifes at French styled cafes. I bought some stainless steel ones probably from CostPlus world market and my kids took them. They like using the butter knives more than the dinner knives. The butter knives are smaller, lighter and easier for my kids to handle than using regular dinner knives.

My side of the extended family is picky about table settings at home and eating out. First picture in link is the table setting my relatives are used to for European style restaurants. http://labadiane-hanoi.com/spice-conners/refinded-table-settings-french/

That's the way we set our table at home, but we don't need that many glasses and I will admit to using paper napkins most of the time. We also don't set out bread plates unless we're having bread or rolls with dinner. Ditto for soup spoons. :)

Clearly, I am on Team Butter Knife. :D

(Edited for typos!)

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 2

ETA:

My extended family is picky about colors so we stick with stainless steel. We clean tarnished silver by soaking in Coca-Cola.

However all the French people I have known have salad after the main course, not as a starter, so the table would not look like that.  I was surprised to have salad served first in the US. 

• Like 3

ETA:

how many pieces of silver all depends on number of courses. 

how does coca-cola work for cleaning silver? 

However all the French people I have known have salad after the main course, not as a starter, so the table would not look like that.  I was surprised to have salad served first in the US. 

restaurants serve salad first so the customer has something to eat while they're waiting for their entree.

However all the French people I have known have salad after the main course, not as a starter, so the table would not look like that. I was surprised to have salad served first in the US.

I have never been to a formal French dinner so I really don't know. My mom likes Italian for sit down dinners and my cousins and I when we were kids would be aiming for the bread.

I forgot what this bread in link is called but it is served wrapped in a cloth napkin at my mom's favorite Italian style restaurant. http://www.westindining.com.my/assets/u/Prego_Food_2_861x308.jpg

restaurants serve salad first so the customer has something to eat while they're waiting for their entree.

There are definitely starters in France, but the salad is not usually a starter in my experience - it comes after the main dish.  I seem to remember it just arriving in restaurants, rather than being specifically ordered, so you order a starter and a main course, and the green salad just arrives as an extra to cleanse the palate. I'm sure that depends on the location though.

how does coca-cola work for cleaning silver?

It works very well for utensils and bases of pots. My extended family do stock up soda for guests for New Year gatherings so there are always some cans of leftover soda. Sprite would probably work just as well, just that we drink mostly coke when it comes to soda.

• Like 1

There are definitely starters in France, but the salad is not usually a starter in my experience - it comes after the main dish.  I seem to remember it just arriving in restaurants, rather than being specifically ordered, so you order a starter and a main course, and the green salad just arrives as an extra to cleanse the palate. I'm sure that depends on the location though.

I meant restaurants in the US.

we have starters here too, if someone wants to order one. (or have soup or salad as a starter)  we rarely do - never that hungry.

• Like 1