Menu

I've Never Been An Aldi Fan. But...

Lady Marmalade

If you do a search for old Aldi threads, you'll probably find me in that thread somewhere talking about how much I have disliked shopping at Aldi in the past.  The few times I've tried shopping there I've been disgusted by how dirty they've been, how the produce was really pathetic, and how the aisles were so cramped.  

Well, back around Thanksgiving we had a new Aldi open up just a few minutes away from me.  I've thought about going there to check it out several times, but I wasn't totally convinced it would be worth my time.

Yesterday I needed celery and onions, and as I was driving toward the part of town where this new Aldi was, I decided to give them a shot.  Celery is one of those produce items that was affected by weather in California, and it's been really awful lately.  So in my mind, it didn't really matter where I got the celery, it was not going to be a great product.  So imagine my surprise when I find the greenest, healthiest bunch of celery I've seen outside of my garden on the shelf at Aldi!  

Not only that, the store is pristine.  It's incredibly clean, and the aisles are wider than other Aldi's I've been in.  The produce was expansive and looked good for the most part. The store was  extremely well-organized and prices were clearly marked.   I was VERY impressed!

Will I start shopping there regularly?  When it makes sense for me, I think I will on occasion.  I will keep an eye on their ads for sure and buy a few things here and there when I am nearby.  One of the icky Aldi's in my area is currently undergoing a renovation, and I suspect it's going to look just like this brand new one when it's finished. 

I know I will never be able to go there and do a full grocery shopping trip, but I thought I'd come back here and fess up that this previous Aldi hater has seen that it CAN be a nice place to shop, and recommend at least checking it out. 

• Like 13

Former Aldi hater here, too.

We moved to a new area, and tried Aldi here - wow. So different.

Anyone with allergy kids - they have Enjoy Life bars and soft cookies repackaged in their G-Free label. Huge savings for those!

We can't do all the staples there, as DS has reacted a few times - they don't always label for "may contains" but we find enough there to make it worth a trip every two weeks or so.

We have just had one Aldi's built in our city recently, and another one in the building process also in our city. We also have 2 Lidls being built, again, in the same city. They are popping up everywhere -some in the neighboring cities too.

As I understand it, Trader Joes is owned by the split Aldi company. Yet, they built the first Aldis in the same shopping center as Trader Joes.

The other Aldi and one of the Lidls are practically across the street from each other.

ETA: It feels like an invasion  :lol: . I'll be surprised if all of them can stay at the top of the market at the same time. We also have one Harris teeter, 4 or 5 Food Lions, 2 walmarts, 1 walmart neighborhood market (food only? never been in it), farm fresh, kroger, and a local owned farmer's market. Our city is not that big  :huh: . That's a lot of grocery stores! And there's the Target that also sells groceries.

OH....and a Whole Foods, and Fresh market too.

Edited by jewellsmommy

We have just had one Aldi's built in our city recently, and another one in the building process also in our city. We also have 2 Lidls being built, again, in the same city. They are popping up everywhere -some in the neighboring cities too.

As I understand it, Trader Joes is owned by the split Aldi company. Yet, they built the first Aldis in the same shopping center as Trader Joes.

The other Aldi and one of the Lidls are practically across the street from each other.

ETA: It feels like an invasion  :lol: . I'll be surprised if all of them can stay at the top of the market at the same time. We also have one Harris teeter, 4 or 5 Food Lions, 2 walmarts, 1 walmart neighborhood market (food only? never been in it), farm fresh, kroger, and a local owned farmer's market. Our city is not that big  :huh: . That's a lot of grocery stores! And there's the Target that also sells groceries.

OH....and a Whole Foods, and Fresh market too.

I'm so jealous. We have four. One is Walmart. None are as great as Aldi. 

I haven't been to Aldi in a while. I've been shopping at Publix and using coupons, something I haven't done in a long time. I think it's time to hit up Aldi again.

One of the employees once let it slip that they were getting some of their their produce from Kroger.... It's less than half the price. :)

What did he mean? Did he understand what he was saying? Maybe they use the same supplier? It sounds like he was trying to say they buy Kroger's leftovers. Aldi doesn't sell (or buy) seconds. They have their own suppliers and their own brands. It sounds like he doesn't really know what he's talking about.

Aldi produce is often locally grown

We team up with local farms to help you get the freshest produce at low prices. Look for the logo to find fresh fruits and vegetables grown on a farm near you.

http://www.countryliving.com/food-drinks/news/a42614/aldi-grocery-shopping-tips/

From the above link: 

The produce is as fresh as it is inexpensive.

The cheap produce is among the stores' top-selling product—so it's always fresh. "We get produce deliveries every morning," the employee revealed. "The turn around is very fast, so we don't have much waste. We just don't over-order, I guess. It's more typical that we are all out of broccoli by the time we close than it is that we have several extra cases that just end up in the trash."

Sort of but not really. They were brothers and split decades ago. They're two different companies now. 

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2013/12/02/aldi_grocery_store_best_in_america_related_to_trader_joe_s.html

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 2

I love Aldi! It's my favorite store and I do 95% of my shopping there.  

We don't do artificial food dyes. I wanted to make some cookies that had maraschino cherries in them so I tried the usual suspects to find cherries without Red 40 ... Whole Foods? Nope. Fancy Hyvee? Nope. Trader Joes? Nope. Aldi had them though! Their store brands doesn't have any artificial colors. It's wonderful.

My gluten free friend loves shopping there because of all the option and how easy the labels are to read. Best labeling of any store EVER.

• Like 4

An Aldi opened up a few weeks ago in a location very convenient for me and I tried it out for the first time.  The store was clean and very nicely laid out, but I wasn't much a fan of the products -- a lot of additives in some of the products one wouldn't expect (canned chickpeas??) and the bread I bought was awful.  Fabulous prices on organic eggs, though.

If you do a search for old Aldi threads, you'll probably find me in that thread somewhere talking about how much I have disliked shopping at Aldi in the past.  The few times I've tried shopping there I've been disgusted by how dirty they've been, how the produce was really pathetic, and how the aisles were so cramped.  

Well, back around Thanksgiving we had a new Aldi open up just a few minutes away from me.  I've thought about going there to check it out several times, but I wasn't totally convinced it would be worth my time.

Yesterday I needed celery and onions, and as I was driving toward the part of town where this new Aldi was, I decided to give them a shot.  Celery is one of those produce items that was affected by weather in California, and it's been really awful lately.  So in my mind, it didn't really matter where I got the celery, it was not going to be a great product.  So imagine my surprise when I find the greenest, healthiest bunch of celery I've seen outside of my garden on the shelf at Aldi!  

Not only that, the store is pristine.  It's incredibly clean, and the aisles are wider than other Aldi's I've been in.  The produce was expansive and looked good for the most part. The store was  extremely well-organized and prices were clearly marked.   I was VERY impressed!

Will I start shopping there regularly?  When it makes sense for me, I think I will on occasion.  I will keep an eye on their ads for sure and buy a few things here and there when I am nearby.  One of the icky Aldi's in my area is currently undergoing a renovation, and I suspect it's going to look just like this brand new one when it's finished. 

I know I will never be able to go there and do a full grocery shopping trip, but I thought I'd come back here and fess up that this previous Aldi hater has seen that it CAN be a nice place to shop, and recommend at least checking it out. 

That mirrors my experience exactly.  The "original" stores in my area are sketchy.  But this brand new one opened 10 minutes from my house and it's really worth my time to shop there.  Celery was 99 cents there versus $1.79 at my normal and usually very well priced grocery store.  

I love Aldi! It's my favorite store and I do 95% of my shopping there.

We don't do artificial food dyes. I wanted to make some cookies that had maraschino cherries in them so I tried the usual suspects to find cherries without Red 40 ... Whole Foods? Nope. Fancy Hyvee? Nope. Trader Joes? Nope. Aldi had them though! Their store brands doesn't have any artificial colors. It's wonderful.

My gluten free friend loves shopping there because of all the option and how easy the labels are to read. Best labeling of any store EVER.

Also, their "Country Creamery" dairy products do not have rBgh in them.

• Like 1

I'm so jealous. We have four. One is Walmart. None are as great as Aldi.

I'm jealous, too. We have Food Lion. In fact, two of them. LOL. Plus a Wal-mart. We are lucky enough to have a natural foods/co-op type of store as well, but that is not a place where I can do the bulk of my shopping. I do almost all of my shopping when I take my boys to lessons in another city. I don't know why we can't get more stores here. I don't know if it's the city council, or if the stores just don't want to come here.

Wow, lots of remodeling going on around the country!  Maybe in time the icky stores will be gone.

I still recall the very first time I walked in an Aldi, it was when most of their products were in the generic black-and-white packaging.  Remember those?  You could buy Yellow Cake Mix or Chocolate Cake Mix, but both were in a white box with black lettering.  I practically ran out of that store (leaving my quarter behind), wondering why on earth my friend would shop there. 

Really though, this brand new store was lovely.  We don't have Trader Joe's in the area, but I was in one a few weeks ago in Chicago, and it really had a similar feel.  I bought my celery, a bag of onions, a package of hot dog buns and a box of popsicles that the kids had asked for. I paid less than six bucks for it all, and the produce is delightful while the kids were thrilled with the popsicles.  I'm going to be ecstatic if there is no food dye in those pops!   

Usually we get the new Aldi flyer in the Wednesday mail and it never even makes it into the house- it gets recycled on the way in.  Today I find myself looking forward to it and seeing what is inside. 

I shop 95% at Aldi. We have several in our driving areas. I shop the ones in another state with my mom. 

I did notice one of my regulars is being renovated too. It is almost doubling in size. I can't wait to see what that means. More options? Or just wider aisles? The selection of produce is small, but good at all of ours. Prices are fantastic. I can get enough fresh and frozen produce for most weeks there without going anywhere else.  I just plan to use what is in season there most of the time.