Menu

Earth science and astronomy for a rising 6th grader

Could be late middle school or early high school level. He likes the looks of Elemental science logic stage earth science but I know it's not very popular on TWTM. Any suggestions?

Even just spine suggestions for a homegrown version would be appreciated. :)

ETA: secular, please!

Edited by someonestolemyname

It's also secular. The experiments are on the website I linked under "Student Record sheets"

You can find the investigations manual online, but it is just the student record sheets with no space for notes.  =)

When searching online, you want to avoid CPO "Focus On" Earth Science--that is a different text.

• Like 2

It's also secular. The experiments are on the website I linked under "Student Record sheets"

You can find the investigations manual online, but it is just the student record sheets with no space for notes. =)

When searching online, you want to avoid CPO "Focus On" Earth Science--that is a different text.

Thank you! This looks great. I'll add it to the list.

If you're a fan of Ellen McHenry, she has a "Rocks and Dirt" curriculum coming out soon with samples available now:  https://www.facebook.com/EllenMcHenrysBasementWorkshop/?ref=page_internal&fref=nf

She mentions disagreeing with Plate Tectonics though, so you might want to use another source for that portion of geology,  The sections on soil science and the chemical properties of minerals look really good.

• Like 1

My son is astronomy obsessed and I also chose CPO science for him. He is far above this level in astronomy but it's good for the earth science portion, the thing I love about CPO is it's easy to customize, it's flexible, and it's thorough. The teacher's guide is really well done and includes lots of literary selections for various reading levels - we've found some treasures in those lists that have been big hits!

• Like 1

If you're a fan of Ellen McHenry, she has a "Rocks and Dirt" curriculum coming out soon with samples available now:  https://www.facebook.com/EllenMcHenrysBasementWorkshop/?ref=page_internal&fref=nf

She mentions disagreeing with Plate Tectonics though, so you might want to use another source for that portion of geology,  The sections on soil science and the chemical properties of minerals look really good.

:confused1:   Who knew there was anything to disagree with? Not I. :coolgleamA:

• Like 2

Prentice Hall Science Explorer series.  Might be a bit below an accelerated student who has some background in it, but would make an excellent spine.  There are roughly 16 books in the series, covering all the basic middle school science topics, and some are geared more towards 6th and some more towards 8th.  There are lots of resources - worksheets of various kinds for each section, vocab, tests, experiments to do, and so on - enough that you can pick and choose which is most useful to your students. If you get the CD-ROM of resources, which is often cheap second-hand on Amazon, you will have a lot of resources to use in putting together a great course.  And it's secular, and scientifically sound.  You could easily get a solid 3-4 years of science working through this series, and they are excellent preparation for high school level work.

• Like 1

Prentice Hall Science Explorer series. Might be a bit below an accelerated student who has some background in it, but would make an excellent spine. There are roughly 16 books in the series, covering all the basic middle school science topics, and some are geared more towards 6th and some more towards 8th. There are lots of resources - worksheets of various kinds for each section, vocab, tests, experiments to do, and so on - enough that you can pick and choose which is most useful to your students. If you get the CD-ROM of resources, which is often cheap second-hand on Amazon, you will have a lot of resources to use in putting together a great course. And it's secular, and scientifically sound. You could easily get a solid 3-4 years of science working through this series, and they are excellent preparation for high school level work.

I finally had a chance to research these, thank you for the suggestion, they look great!

• Like 1