Menu

Saxon 8/7 Please tell me the difference between the DVD's & CD's

Please tell me the difference between the DVD's  &  CD's, other than the price tag  :)

I do realize there are Dive CD's and Saxon CD's.  But IM wondering about the Saxon DVDs vs Saxon CDs.

Thank you very much for your help!

Edited by bnwhitaker

We're using a combo of Saxon Teacher cd's WITH the Art Reed dvd's.  You definitely don't need both, but we've found it to be an excellent fit in our situation.  My kids are enjoying using the Saxon Teacher to teach the lessons, as they mirror what's taught in the book, and contain very thorough explanation of each step as they go.  These discs have lesson instruction, and if you need it, they have every single problem in the whole course (test problems, too!) included on the cd's completely worked out.  So if there's a problem and they just aren't getting it, we can plug in the disc and they can see it worked out on the screen.  These cd's have a digital whiteboard you see on the screen, and you hear the teacher's voice as they solve the problems on the board.  My kids really do best with an audio/visual way to learn the lesson itself each day, so this has been a winner.  It also helps them to be able to be fairly independent in their math lesson times, which is really helpful with five kids to teach.  Of course I'm available for help, answering questions as they come up, and checking work.  I also do the investigations with them too, as they prefer that. :)

We are also using the Art Reed dvd's, watching the very short video each day after the Saxon Teacher lesson.  In these dvd's, you see Mr. Reed standing in a classroom before a whiteboard, and he teaches the concepts presented in the lesson.  It's very much like sitting in a real math class.  Mr. Reed's teaching is very clear, and he often presents tips and explanations in the lessons in such a way that really helps them to remember it well. My kids are really loving these! ;)  I know it may seem like overkill to do both, but for our family it's been a winning combo.  This is a bit more expensive, but worth every penny in our book.  If I *had* to choose one resource, it would be the Art Reed dvd's. :D   

Edited by momtofive
  • Like 5

Thank You momtofive.  This is what I ended up buying today!

We're using a combo of Saxon Teacher cd's WITH the Art Reed dvd's.  You definitely don't need both, but we've found it to be an excellent fit in our situation.  My kids are enjoying using the Saxon Teacher to teach the lessons, as they mirror what's taught in the book, and contain very thorough explanation of each step as they go.  These discs have lesson instruction, and if you need it, they have every single problem in the whole course (test problems, too!) included on the cd's completely worked out.  So if there's a problem and they just aren't getting it, we can plug in the disc and they can see it worked out on the screen.  These cd's have a digital whiteboard you see on the screen, and you hear the teacher's voice as they solve the problems on the board.  My kids really do best with an audio/visual way to learn the lesson itself each day, so this has been a winner.  It also helps them to be able to be fairly independent in their math lesson times, which is really helpful with five kids to teach.  Of course I'm available for help, answering questions as they come up, and checking work.  I also do the investigations with them too, as they prefer that. :)

We are also using the Art Reed dvd's, watching the very short video each day after the Saxon Teacher lesson.  In these dvd's, you see Mr. Reed standing in a classroom before a whiteboard, and he teaches the concepts presented in the lesson.  It's very much like sitting in a real math class.  Mr. Reed's teaching is very clear, and he often presents tips and explanations in the lessons in such a way that really helps them to remember it well. My kids are really loving these! ;)  I know it may seem like overkill to do both, but for our family it's been a winning combo.  This is a bit more expensive, but worth every penny in our book.  If I *had* to choose one resource, it would be the Art Reed dvd's. :D   

• Like 1

Do the Saxon Teacher dvds give better explanations than the book? I'm so frustrated with the textbook lately. My son is doing 8/7 and on lesson 70 something, just starting to get into the prealgebra stuff. The Art Reed dvds don't even cover the same topics as the lessons sometimes. Super confusing. 

Do the Saxon Teacher dvds give better explanations than the book? I'm so frustrated with the textbook lately. My son is doing 8/7 and on lesson 70 something, just starting to get into the prealgebra stuff. The Art Reed dvds don't even cover the same topics as the lessons sometimes. Super confusing.

Hmm....not sure. We will be doing 8/7 next year. I've not watched the 8/7 videos yet, but the ones for Alg 1, 7/6, & 6/5 have all had clear teaching, with helpful explanations as they walk you through the problems. I'm sorry I'm not more help. 😕

Editing to add: You know, I was just remembering that Art Reed welcomes questions, and is very good about emailing or calling you to help with any math problems. I've spoken with him, and he's super nice and very helpful. You are also getting into the more meatier part of the lessons, so possibly slowing down a bit might help, too. I hope it works out, and wish you the best. :)

Edited by momtofive