Menu

Looking for historical fiction set in Georgia, suitable for an 8th grade girl

ereks mom

Ideally, I would like to find some Georgia historical fiction with a positive message, at about the same reading level as the Dear America series and the Royal Diaries series.

Adult reading level books might be acceptable, as long as they contain a positive message.

I thought of The St. Simons Trilogy by Eugenia Price is meticulously researched, and based on the lives of actual people. But are these books more of the 'romance novel' genre? And are they appropriate for an 8th grader?

And in case anyone mentions it, we will probably watch the film version of Gone with the Wind, rather than reading the book.

Look here

http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/CollectionsA-Z/zlgb_search.html?Welcome

Trembling earth /by Siegelson, Kim L. Description: 152 p. ; 22 cm.

ISBN: 0399240217

Summary: In 1864, two boys, one a slave running toward freedom and one hoping to collect the reward for capturing him, make their way through Georgia's Okefenokee Swamp, relying on knowledge the white boy's father, disabled by the war, had passed on to him in happier times.

Janie's freedom : African Americans in the aftermath of the Civil War / Callie Smith Grant.

Description: 144 p. ; 22 cm.

Summary: Eleven-year-old Janie doesn't know what to do when she is told she is free to leave her Georgia plantation after the Civl War.

Notable Georgia Authors

Turn homeward, Hannalee by Patricia Beatty. Twelve-year-old Hannalee Reed, forced to relocate in Indiana along with other Georgia millworkers during the Civil War, leaves her mother with a promise to return home as soon as the war ends.

Spite fences / Trudy Krisher. Publisher New York : Delacorte Press, c1994. Description 283 p.

1960 / As she struggles with her troubled relationship with her mother during the summer of 1960, a young girl is also drawn into the violence, hatred, and racial tension in her small Georgia town.Books about Georgia Indians (multi-levels)

Maybe not appropriate but

Cold Rock River by J.L. Miles

n 1963 rural Georgia, pregnant 17-year-old Adie Jenkins discovers the diary of pregnant 17-year-old Tempe Jordan, a slave girl, begun as the Civil War was winding down. The depth of the connection between the two women united by place and separated by race--and a century--is revealed.

just a few titles...

An Angry Drum Echoed http://www.kiskalore.com/books.html

Flight From Natchez (Hardcover) by Frank G Slaughter

Jubilee (Paperback) by John Brick

Stories With a Moral: Literature and Society in Nineteenth-Century Georgia by Michael E. Price

Voices from Colonial America: Georgia 1521-1776 (NG Voices from ColonialAmerica) by Robin Doak

Cherokee Nation V. Georgia: Native American Rights (Landmark Supreme Court Cases) by Victoria Sherrow

Singing Violet: The Decade Between Georgia's Gold Rush and the Trail of Tears by A. Fran Booth

Maddie Retta Lauren: Georgia, 1864 (American Diaries) by Kathleen Duey and Lori Earley

The War in Georgia by Jerrie Oughton (1945, outside of your range)

Echoes of Andersonville by Robert Diel Dean

Janie's Freedom: African Americans in the Aftermath of the Civil War (1867) (Sisters in Time #14) by Callie Smith Grant (I think I already mentioned this one)

The Tree That Owns Itself: And Other Adventure Tales from Out of the Past by Loretta C. Hammer (Three centuries of stories)

The Last Silk Dress by Ann Rinaldi (Civil War, 14 year old girl)

I'm sure there is tons more but that's all I can contribute. Good luck! :)

This is a depression-era book, and written for adults, but it's one of my absolute all-time favorites, and I'm pretty sure I'd let an eighth-grader read it:

Run With the Horsemen, by Dr. Ferrol Sams

I thought of Cold Sassy Tree, as well, by Olive Ann Burns, but I'm less sure that it would be appropriate for a young teen. Excellent book set in turn-of-the-century Georgia, however.

Sorry I don't have more YA suggestions. These might not be useful to you at all, but they popped into my head and I figured it couldn't hurt to share. Good luck in your search :)

SBP

Archived