Menu

people on diet boards

SparklyUnicorn

are insane

"I've been doing everything right for 5 days and I have only lost 5 pounds!  Why isn't this working?!" I wish this were an exaggeration or an unusual thing to say.  And that's not even as dumb as it gets.  I joined (low carb groups) for recipes and that sort of thing, but it's a constant fest of stupid stupid posts that make me very worried about the general level of intelligence in the world.  I think you all just spoil me with your higher than average level of intelligence!

So tell me, these are all low carb boards, are other diet type boards similarly nuts? 

• Like 14

Or really anywhere with the general public. Read the comments on online news articles. It makes me feel so good about where my children are in life. Spell mostly correctly, use capital letters when appropriate and you'll rule the world!

The Hive has spoiled us.

Edited by Moxie
  • Like 16

If there was such a thing, we would all know about it.  Yesterday!

LOL

Hey, it's called the Plexus pink drink.

Supposedly drinking the Pink Drink makes you lose weight, increases brain function, provides unlimited energy, and increases libido. All you do is pour the powder into a shaker cup filled with water, shake, and drink.  No workouts. No restrictive diets.

I swear. I promise. 

Why I know a woman who drank the pink drink and only cheated a little by having 6 beers, half a pizza and 'just a couple' of buffalo wings and, by golly, she lost 8 pounds her first 48 hours.

According to FB, Plexus Pink Drink is changing lives.

:glare:

• Like 6

Supposedly drinking the Pink Drink makes you lose weight, increases brain function, provides unlimited energy, and increases libido. All you do is pour the powder into a shaker cup filled with water, shake, and drink.  No workouts. No restrictive diets.

I swear. I promise. 

Why I know a woman who drank the pink drink and only cheated a little by having 6 beers, half a pizza and 'just a couple' of buffalo wings and, by golly, she lost 8 pounds her first 48 hours.

link?!

:laugh:

• Like 1

Frugality forums: "I need a work-from home, evening job that pays at least $15/hr. I don't have any marketable skills."

Homeschool forums: "I need a cheap to free, self-teaching, completely independent program for my 6yo to do while I'm at work."

Small-space living articles:

"If you don't have enough closets, use a spare room to store clothes."

Cause all of us living in tiny houses with no closets just happen to have entire extra rooms sitting empty.

• Like 16

Frugality forums: "I need a work-from home, evening job that pays at least $15/hr. I don't have any marketable skills."

Homeschool forums: "I need a cheap to free, self-teaching, completely independent program for my 6yo to do while I'm at work."

I see this all the time on FB.... and it still astounds me.  Why in the World do you want to homeschool if you don't really want to homeschool?  As for the WAH job, if there were really such a thing we'd all be doing it.

• Like 2

I see this all the time on FB.... and it still astounds me.  Why in the World do you want to homeschool if you don't really want to homeschool?

Because school might not work for the child and you have no other choice?

There are lots of homeschoolers who didn't originally want to hs, but ended up with no alternative.

• Like 5

I see this all the time on FB.... and it still astounds me.  Why in the World do you want to homeschool if you don't really want to homeschool? 

To be fair, when I hear this, it almost always sounds to me as if they need to pull the child from ps for some reason (whether bullying or stress or danger), but haven't quite figured out the work balance yet. Most people can't just up and quit their job.

They've heard some hs'ers talk about plugging their kids into virtual schools, or "unschooling" (defined as kids teaching themselves with no oversight), so they're trying to get in on that...because they haven't studied teaching or learning, and really don't understand that educating little ones isn't, and shouldn't, be effortless or an afterthought. Hopefully, we'll help them out and explain, pointing to truly useful resources...

it was a comment about something for nothing. There's no free lunch, and no magic button for most of life's challenges.

• Like 1

Supposedly drinking the Pink Drink makes you lose weight, increases brain function, provides unlimited energy, and increases libido. All you do is pour the powder into a shaker cup filled with water, shake, and drink. No workouts. No restrictive diets.

I swear. I promise.

Changing lives and guts and poop. Seriously I've had to unfollow friends who've starting selling this cause they keep posting about their poop. 💩🙈🙈🙈

To be fair, I am so gullible if it comes to joint miracles. I have an autoimmune disease and one of the symptoms is joint pain. I have collagen powder, curcumin, turmeric.. you name it I've probably got it. Cause I want the easy fix darn it!!! 😂

I keep seeing before and after pictures that look exactly the same to me.

The OP says, "It has been 6 months. I can't see any changes!"

Ten 500 people post about how huge the transformation has been.

I think it must be a thing to troll diet boards by taking pictures in different clothes on the same day and start begging for compliments about your weight loss.

Maybe I'm just a Scrooge.

• Like 4

I think it must be a thing to troll diet boards by taking pictures in different clothes on the same day and start begging for compliments about your weight loss.

:lol:

I have a friend IRL who is losing weight. We are trying to motivate each other and encourage each other to keep going after a slip up or whatever. We weigh ourselves every Friday and check in with each other. One week, I felt like I had an awful week but ended up losing half a pound. I was so excited. Her response, "well at least you went down." Then she weighed herself and was 2 pounds down. I responded being very excited for her. Her response, " I tried so hard this week! It's so discouraging when you work so hard and it barely shows."

After that week I stopped trying to encourage her. If you can't celebrate a 2 pound loss then I can't help you or maybe I just don't want to anymore

• Like 6

I often think the same thing.  The ones with really drastic (and super fast!) changes, I'm usually thinking photoshop.

I know I could take a before picture about a week before my period, then take an after picture a week after my period and look much skinnier even if I gained 10 pounds.   :glare:

• Like 3

Yep. And quite honestly, while it's true that everyone wants the magic fix, I *also* blame the "lose 20 lbs in 5 weeks" magazine covers you see all over the checkout convincing people that's reasonable results. 

I was just talking to a friend last week who needed to lose weight for health reasons. She said "well, I portion controlled for a month and I only lost 6 pounds so I quit since I wasn't getting anywhere". Um you were making good progress! You just can't diet for a month, lose 50 lbs, then go back to the way you were eating before and keep it off. It just doesn't work that way!

I think that's one big reason for yo-yo dieting as well. sigh

• Like 6

Or the people who are selling those diet shakes/patches/whatever who take a picture of their butt, then take another one with beauty mode on and try to pass it off as weight loss. :lol:  Sorry, that's the same butt. Just... blurrier.

• Like 1

I just read one today. A lady lost 9 lbs in two weeks (great job, I thought). Week three, she lost nothing. The poor lady was in despair. Why isn't this diet working??? She did everything right!!!

Oh my...

I see this all the time and it makes me crazy!

Also, I was doing a lot of DietBets, and so many people will lose the 6-8 pound goal whithin the first two weeks then "quit trying" (their words) and wonder why they gain it all back in the second two weeks.

It really does make me worry for the reasoning ability of society as a whole.

• Like 1

Or really anywhere with the general public. Read the comments on online news articles. It makes me feel so good about where my children are in life. Spell mostly correctly, use capital letters when appropriate and you'll rule the world!

The Hive has spoiled us.

So true. I have noticed this a lot of other places on the web. Sheer idiocy. People with no ability to reason through an argument. Spellings like this: "ant" for "aunt", "clasped" for "collapsed", "hart" for "heart". Good Lord. It makes me double down on teaching DS homophones.

Eta:typo, lol.

Edited by Quill
  • Like 3

I've been working on some fitness and nutrition certifications for the past 2 years or so. There has certainly been some good information and serious learning here and there, but the overwhelming bulk has been easy, basic stuff that I already knew from existing in the world.  It drove me crazy for a little while, considering I was paying for this stuff and my goal was to exercise my brain. I felt like I was getting scammed, and that the whole industry was a scam.

After reading boards and article comments (and FB!), I have a little less animosity and more respect for the program designers who begin with things like "less soda, more water."

• Like 3

"I know I'm supposed to eat whole-grain breads without a lot of sugar and not refined flour.  But the labels are so confusing!  How do I choose a good bread?"

"Don't worry about reading labels!  Just buy bread that is brown and looks like it has nuts and seeds and stuff in it."

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

are insane

"I've been doing everything right for 5 days and I have only lost 5 pounds!  Why isn't this working?!" I wish this were an exaggeration or an unusual thing to say.  And that's not even as dumb as it gets.  I joined (low carb groups) for recipes and that sort of thing, but it's a constant fest of stupid stupid posts that make me very worried about the general level of intelligence in the world.  I think you all just spoil me with your higher than average level of intelligence!

So tell me, these are all low carb boards, are other diet type boards similarly nuts? 

Wow, and I've been so proud of myself for losing 1 pound a week for the last few months. A miracle diet would be wonderful, but I want to lose weight with better habits rather than a "diet" and keep it off.

• Like 3

YES!  LOL.  I've been hanging out on the reddit ____ forum for a bit and it's truly shocking in terms of the difference between WTM forum and that one.  

Things that I take for granted here - very, very basic biology, math (esp understanding how milligrams and grams and kilograms are all related to each other), reasonable expectations, basic statistics related to averages, trends, etc (yes, losing 4lbs one week and 0 the next is not a fail, it's an average of 2lbs a week, which is wonderful!)... and on and on and on!  

We shouldn't be too baggy, but WTM forum is definitely a cut above average!

• Like 2

On the environmental ones, it's "How can I [buy/do inherently wasteful and unnecessary thing] without producing any waste?" No, there's nobody selling Doritos in returnable bags, dear. And asking what if the person were to buy/do that less is not a welcome reply.

• Like 2

Or the people who are selling those diet shakes/patches/whatever who take a picture of their butt, then take another one with beauty mode on and try to pass it off as weight loss. :lol: Sorry, that's the same butt. Just... blurrier.

I love the ones where the 'before' is a side view of a woman just standing normally and the 'after' is the booty pop shot with her back arched, tush sticking out, hand on hip, etc. Booty gains!!

I love the ones where the 'before' is a side view of a woman just standing normally and the 'after' is the booty pop shot with her back arched, tush sticking out, hand on hip, etc. Booty gains!!

My favorites were the ones Jay Leno would display on his "Headlines" segment. The before/after photos in the ads were of different people. Well, yeah, that transformation was really something.

Edited by Reluctant Homeschooler