Menu

Well Trained Bodies - May 2017

Granny_Weatherwax

I AM LOSING MY MOTIVATION!! I'm still sticking to my plan but it feels like a chore. This is not a tragedy; my weight is in okay range now. I just really had hopes of hauling 10 or 15 lbs less than where I am right now) on my hikes up the mountain this summer. We will see if I can hold on a couple more weeks. I am going out of town (to cheer camp, of all places) with my daughter then, and it could be a nice change of pace.

Anyway, still counting calories, and doing the 21 Day Fix Extreme workouts 5 days a week, plus walking the dog an hour or so a day, plus a bit of yard work.

• Like 3

I AM LOSING MY MOTIVATION!! I'm still sticking to my plan but it feels like a chore. This is not a tragedy; my weight is in okay range now. I just really had hopes of hauling 10 or 15 lbs less than where I am right now) on my hikes up the mountain this summer. We will see if I can hold on a couple more weeks. I am going out of town (to cheer camp, of all places) with my daughter then, and it could be a nice change of pace.

Anyway, still counting calories, and doing the 21 Day Fix Extreme workouts 5 days a week, plus walking the dog an hour or so a day, plus a bit of yard work.

I know where you're coming from.   Have you considered changing up your routine?  Maybe you could try a different type of workout?  Do you have a workout buddy?  

• Like 3

Do you mean having to wear/carry it all the time? I started with a clip-on type and that did drive me crazy. I have a wristband type now, and I completely forget that it's there.

Oh no!!! That's terrible! I'm so sorry, and sure hope that you are recovering well.

My problem is I forget to do them, but if you don't have that problem, I say go for it! It might have the advantage of allowing yo to do more at each set, since you'll have longer rest periods between sets.

Oh, that's interesting! My physical therapist taught me clamshells for treating piriformis syndrome, and they work wonderfully for that. I don't feel them that much in my gluteus, though. Maybe she gave me a very particular version of the exercise? Or maybe I'm doing them wrong! Lol

Do you use bands?  Also, if you squeeze your glutes as you are doing the exercise, particularly at the top, I bet you'll feel it. ;)

• Like 2

My Zumba instructor was out today, so I didn't go. ;( It's not as good a workout if there is a sub (even a really good sub) because if the choreography is all new, since I don't pick up moves super fast, I end up focusing on the getting down the footwork, etc. So that was the bad news. 

The good news is that I still did 60 min of aerobics (walk/jog) and did upper body strength training. 

• Like 2

Some things that help me: 

One thing that helps me is switching up location. I just did part of my strength training routine out on the deck for instance, and it was a really nice change from the living room where I usually do it. 

Sometimes it helps me to focus on how I will feel immediately afterward. Unlike some women, I don't think I will ever really love strength training... well, maybe deadlifts. But I do love how I feel when I am done and I really like how strong I have gotten.

Or give yourself some kind of nonfood reward. I will sometimes go to a consignment store and get some "new" (to me) clothing. 

This will probably sound silly to most people, but I really liked the character Rey in The Force Awakens. And I was really impressed when I found that Daisy Ridley trained for the part so that she did most of the physical stuff herself. There are several videos of short clips of her workouts on youtube and I will watch one if I really need to motivate myself. I also like watching videos of older women who are just rocking it for their age, like Ernestine Shepherd, because I want to be like that when I am their age. 

If my motivation is really bad on a given day, I will do a "keep my toe in the door" workout. That is a really "lite" workout the real purpose of which is to maintain the consistency of the habit. If I can't bring myself to do a  60 min walk/jog, I will do a 20-30 min walk rather than nothing. or with strength training, will do just one set with light weights. It is still *something* and being consistent is actually a really important "something" so I don't actually feel like I've wimped out. 

I also track my workouts and I fill the computer chart in with a color I like when I've finished.  Close to stickers for kids! 

• Like 4

I'm not training for the Olympics, no, but my goal is to accumulate some muscle mass. I am in my 60s and want to make sure I don't lose muscle mass as well as tuck some extra away for a rainy day. :)

If my goal is to build the muscle mass, would your answer be different? 

I've got a lot of ADHD tendencies so flitting between one task and the next actually works well for me: work in the kitchen for 15 min, do some strength training, work on the computer, strength training, etc. So it works quite well for me. I just didn't know if there were any downsides. 

I don't see any apparent downsides to fitting exercise at different times into your regular day. I do this all the time in the spring/summer/fall with walking or biking to the store during the day, then I may play tennis or garden in the evening. 

For a person your age, you probably want to include lots of body-weight baring activities, like walking or even a little running if you enjoy that, to keep your bones strong. You can't have strong muscles without bones being there to support the muscles. Push-ups or planks are great for keeping the arms strong, as well as the core. 

Falls in elderly people is a huge problem, as is osteoporosis. I'm not saying that you are elderly now, but think about some things you can do to keep the bone density you have, while also maintaining muscle mass.

• Like 3

I walked to a bunch of different stores and appointments today, carried my dd's trumpet home for her from band practice (so she could ride her bike), and biked to the grocery store. No tennis just yet because it was too hot and I didn't want to overdo things. Hopefully I can get out for a little tomorrow.

I was eating a little more normally today. I'm a less scared about everything I eat, and whether another allergic reaction will happen. 

• Like 3

No strength training again. I didn't have it in me, not along w/ teaching too and my period. I took a nap instead, finally got done teaching at 5:30 then it was time to cook and I chilled. Today is a new day, feeling better, positive thoughts. 

Weight down another pound. 

Instead of looking at it as losing motivation how about looking at it as taking a break. Maintain for awhile and then see how you feel. Do you want to stay at that weight or go lower. Losing weight can be tiring and I think it can actually be good to practice maintaining as often that is the hardest part.

• Like 3

I don't see any apparent downsides to fitting exercise at different times into your regular day. I do this all the time in the spring/summer/fall with walking or biking to the store during the day, then I may play tennis or garden in the evening. 

For a person your age, you probably want to include lots of body-weight baring activities, like walking or even a little running if you enjoy that, to keep your bones strong. You can't have strong muscles without bones being there to support the muscles. Push-ups or planks are great for keeping the arms strong, as well as the core. 

Falls in elderly people is a huge problem, as is osteoporosis. I'm not saying that you are elderly now, but think about some things you can do to keep the bone density you have, while also maintaining muscle mass.

Yep. I do 45-60 min of intervals of walking/jogging or do Zumba probably an average of 4 times a week. I am aiming to increase that to an average of 5 times per week. And though I don't think I am elderly yet either ;) I certainly have my eye on preparing for aging so that I have the best chance of an active functional life, both physically and mentally. Aging well is a huge motivator for me. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 2

strength training done

jump rope intervals instead of running intervals today, it's been awhile, kicked my butt!

loaded up the bikes and did a short ride

Feeling much better today than the last 2, thankfully my periods are pretty short and the worst is over. Hoping to do some strength training before I leave tomorrow(have to be out of here by 9:30) as I won't have time to do it later if I don't. BUT it is dh's b-day and he will be off so we'll see. 

• Like 2

I know where you're coming from.   Have you considered changing up your routine?  Maybe you could try a different type of workout?  Do you have a workout buddy?  

Changing up the routine has kept me going since January. It really is psychologically necessary for me! But there are certain aspects that really have to happen for me to lose the fat, mostly that calories have to be down below a certain range. The trick is figuring out the best ways to keep me from noticing that so much, lol!

I've done some 21 Day Fix rounds, an Ultimate Rest round, and have been doing calorie counting with the Fitness Pal app for the last few weeks. I've stuck cheat days (really weekends) in there, and that break does help. I think it revs up the metabolism too.

I'm still hanging in there today. The scale was down a pound, so that got me going again. :-)

Edited by Gr8lander
  • Like 3

Pilates yesterday. My diastasis is getting better! My Pilates workouts are getting harder. My left hip is way less strong than the right. Anyone else have alignment issues? Also I have been waking up with plantar fasciitis (foot) pain in the mornings. But I don't worry about it too much. I cleaned my house today for exercise. This next week hoping to: do Pilates pushups (set of 10), calf stretches, back extensor exercise and Pilates imprints for 3 days of the week, and get moving outdoors more.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Mostly arms today. I need to find some good "leg day" stuff. My lower body is in need of some attention. 

I vote squats, there are a million varieties. I'm working on shrimp squats now.

Pilates yesterday. My diastasis is getting better! My Pilates workouts are getting harder. My left hip is way less strong than the right. Anyone else have alignment issues? Also I have been waking up with plantar fasciitis (foot) pain in the mornings. But I don't worry about it too much. I cleaned my house today for exercise. This next week hoping to: do Pilates pushups (set of 10), calf stretches, back extensor exercise and Pilates imprints for 3 days of the week, and get moving outdoors more.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I have imbalance in my upperbody, gives me terrible fits with upper body work, I have to be careful not to push or the right side overcompensates.

• Like 1

Mostly arms today. I need to find some good "leg day" stuff. My lower body is in need of some attention. 

Are you doing these at home or at the gym? With or without weights?

One important consideration is that women tend to be quad dominant in general. That can lead to problems with the knee because the quads pulling on the knee are not counterbalanced by other muscles. that are also supposed to be pullling on the knee. So make sure that your exercise is balanced with an exercise for the posterior chain as well as quad exercises. 

For beginning, I would suggest bodyweight versions of these exercises. You can keep them all as you improve by adding weights or resistance bands. I also transitioned to deadlifts in place of hamstring curl, but you need barbells or heavy dumbbells for those, 

Bodyweight squats to start, then start holding weights and doing them after you are sure your form is perfect.  Quads tend to dominate on squats. This exercise is number one because it is so functional. 

Hamstring curl . You can do these on a Swiss ball (one of the big exercise balls which you can get at Walmart for about  $10. ) You can also use a chair to prop your feet.  This particularly targets the hamstrings up the back of your thighs. 

Bridge (make sure you squeeze glutes at the top)

Clamshells (work the glutes and outer thighs---again balances the forces on the knee. Start with bodyweight and add a resistance band. Squeeze your glutes as soon as you start the upward movement. 

Lunges are another great exercise. 

There are a lot of good videos on Youtube. Girls Gone Strong has very good videos of many exercises. Watch a few until you think you have the key points. Then have someone videotape you. If you're like me, you'll be surprised at some things you see in the video!

Or: invest in a couple sessions with a trainer just until you get the form down. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 3

My experiment of splitting my strength training up into upper and lower body days so that I do it 6 days a week has been working well so far. I incorporate it into my cardio and shoot for about an hour. 

Yesterday, I did clamshells with bands while I was also in the sun for Vit. D.Later in the day, I switched up my walk/jog intervals for walking up and down a steep hill in the neighborhood for 1/2 hour. I was planning on deadlifts, so I thought the hamstring work in the uphills would be a good warm up for that. I did 4 sets of 10 deadlifts. This worked well as I had to also take some stuff out of the oven for dinner. Overall, it was 45 min. I would have done it a little differently except that ds and his fiance were coming for dinner and the garden had some things that needed doing and exercise had to take into account both. 

Today is upper body and I am going to try to increase my sets of push-ups by dispersing them through the day as long as I have the time to warm up first. I am not planning to increase my sets of rows though. If I can snag a ds to hike with me, I may do that instead of the walk/jog intervals. 

• Like 1

Are you doing these at home or at the gym? With or without weights?

One important consideration is that women tend to be quad dominant in general. That can lead to problems with the knee because the quads pulling on the knee are not counterbalanced by other muscles. that are also supposed to be pullling on the knee. So make sure that your exercise is balanced with an exercise for the posterior chain as well as quad exercises.

For beginning, I would suggest bodyweight versions of these exercises. You can keep them all as you improve by adding weights or resistance bands. I also transitioned to deadlifts in place of hamstring curl, but you need barbells or heavy dumbbells for those,

Bodyweight squats to start, then start holding weights and doing them after you are sure your form is perfect. Quads tend to dominate on squats. This exercise is number one because it is so functional.

Hamstring curl . You can do these on a Swiss ball (one of the big exercise balls which you can get at Walmart for about $10. ) You can also use a chair to prop your feet. This particularly targets the hamstrings up the back of your thighs.

Bridge (make sure you squeeze glutes at the top)

Clamshells (work the glutes and outer thighs---again balances the forces on the knee. Start with bodyweight and add a resistance band. Squeeze your glutes as soon as you start the upward movement.

Lunges are another great exercise.

There are a lot of good videos on Youtube. Girls Gone Strong has very good videos of many exercises. Watch a few until you think you have the key points. Then have someone videotape you. If you're like me, you'll be surprised at some things you see in the video!

Or: invest in a couple sessions with a trainer just until you get the form down.

I go to they gym. Thanks for the video. Recommendation. I've been watching a lot but haven't come across those yet.

I had a couple of sessions with a teainer. She had me doing squats with a barbell but I feel intimidated doing those with others around, lol. So I've been doing goblets.

I'll try out some of these others! Thanks.

• Like 2

I'll look those up. I've been doing goblet squats. Today I'm trying cossack squats.

Shrimp squats are 1 legged squats, goal is to hold one leg behind you, squat down and touch the other knee to the ground and back up. It's hard!

• Like 2

Quads tend to dominate on squats. 

Yes, and I also wanted to mention that from what I've read, you can influence this (at least somewhat) with your form and technique.  When you do squats with your legs in a narrow stance and toes straight ahead, your quads dominate.  But when you use a wider stance with toes pointed slightly outward, your glutes and hamstrings help out more.  Also, with half squats, the quads do most of the work, but with full deep squats, the glutes and hamstrings get "recruited" more.  

At least that's what I've read, and it "feels" true to me when I try it different ways.

I can't do back squats anymore, and I really miss them.  That is such a good exercise!  I've been doing goblet squats, leg press, and deadlifts as my primary leg exercises, but I need to look up some more squat variations.  I've never heard of shrimp squats before!

• Like 2

I go to they gym. Thanks for the video. Recommendation. I've been watching a lot but haven't come across those yet.

I had a couple of sessions with a teainer. She had me doing squats with a barbell but I feel intimidated doing those with others around, lol. So I've been doing goblets.

I'll try out some of these others! Thanks.

Oh sorry! I thought you were looking at beginning! Sounds like you're well on your way. 

If you're at the gym anyway, I would do squats, deadlifts, and clamshells. The program I use alternates the days that squats are done vs. deadlifts as the main lower body lift. They add in one more like lunges. I switched it to clamshells to take care of my hips and knees. 

• Like 1

Oh sorry! I thought you were looking at beginning! Sounds like you're well on your way. 

If you're at the gym anyway, I would do squats, deadlifts, and clamshells. The program I use alternates the days that squats are done vs. deadlifts as the main lower body lift. They add in one more like lunges. I switched it to clamshells to take care of my hips and knees. 

I can't believe how many typos I had in my post! Oh, well. lol

I appreciate all your leg ideas. I haven't done clamshells or deadlifts yet. That barbell sure does scare me for some reason. So does the swiss ball. I am still pretty new to lifting. :lol:

I do standing reverse lunges holding dumbbells. I hate bridges but I know they are good.

The cossack squats felt really good. I did a couple of sets today just focusing on form to try them out.  I like them and will definitely add them to my routine.

Edited by Miss Peregrine
  • Like 2

I went for a run with a homeschool running group this morning. Dd and ds 13 came along, and during the run dd discovered an injured baby squirrel. She packed it up and we took it out to the wildlife sanctuary she volunteers at. The critter is doing much better now. It would have got mauled by dogs where she rescued it. She's excited for release time, as she'll get to release "Boulder" the squirrel as well as some of his new squirrel friends when he's all good to go back home. It was dd's first wild animal rescue, and she's so happy. Needless to say, for some people, nature and critters come way before fitness!  :laugh: 

Dh and I are playing doubles tennis with friends tonight. It should be fun!

My tummy is doing a little better, and the allergies seem under control.  :hurray: 

• Like 4

I'm so impressed with all the knowledge here on the board re: weightlifting! I don't comment, because I don't have anything to add, but I enjoy reading the posts.

Aw, Wintermom, sounds like a sweet ending to the run. Glad the squirrel is being cared for.

My motivation returned with another half pound drop on the scale this morning (though still not sure if I will continue hard core with the eating plan this weekend.) Did a 30 min upper body workout, added some abs, and the P90X stretch workout (which is an hour as-is, but I can shave off 20 minutes by plowing ahead through Tony H's chatter, lol)

About to head out with the Dane. He's been staying home this week due to a growth on his foot, and is more than ready to hit the trail with me. We saw a bear on our last hike together earlier this week, and I was so pleased that he played it cool and kept quiet.

• Like 3

I did walking/jogging intervals for about 35 minutes. That was actually a victory. It was too hot to do anything late afternoon and I had a social commitment during my normal workout time, so I started about 1/2 hour before sunset. The victory was that after a party, I wasn't feeling like doing exercise, but I made myself. There had been a thunderstorm earlier, and it had cooled everything down and it was just lovely. I ditched the upper body workout, so tomorrow will need to do both upper and lower body.  ETA: Oh, and I lengthened my jogging interval to 1 1/2 min from 1 min and kept the 30 sec walking. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 4

I can't believe how many typos I had in my post! Oh, well. lol

I appreciate all your leg ideas. I haven't done clamshells or deadlifts yet. That barbell sure does scare me for some reason. So does the swiss ball. I am still pretty new to lifting. :lol:

I do standing reverse lunges holding dumbbells. I hate bridges but I know they are good.

The cossack squats felt really good. I did a couple of sets today just focusing on form to try them out.  I like them and will definitely add them to my routine.

If you are on Facebook, you might want to consider joining the Girls Gone Strong group. There is a wide range of women in the group, from beginners to experts, and the sense of being intimidated in the gym comes up fairly often. It might be a good source of support for you as some will say, "I'm right there with you!" and others will tell you how they came out on the other end of it. 

• Like 2

Tennis was exhausting last night, and frustrating. My mind wanted my body to play so much better, but my body just wasn't responding.  :laugh:   I think I tried to do too much too soon after my freaky "Epi-pens Monday."  

It's nice and sunny outside today, but I just want to sleep or hide myself. My emotions are a little wild, too  :leaving:

• Like 1

If you are on Facebook, you might want to consider joining the Girls Gone Strong group. There is a wide range of women in the group, from beginners to experts, and the sense of being intimidated in the gym comes up fairly often. It might be a good source of support for you as some will say, "I'm right there with you!" and others will tell you how they came out on the other end of it.

I will. Is it a private group or the main page? There are a few of them.

Today, I did a 10 min Zumba warm up and then upper body strength training. Later in the day, I did a total of 45 min of walking, jogging, and 4 sets of 10 weighted squats. Still later in the day, I finished up core and lower body. Woot! 

Total this week for cardio (incl strength training that got the heart rate up) : 305 min

Total "vigorous" 75%+ of max hr 107 min

I know I won't keep up with this every week, but it feels great to have had a great week!

I have really liked splitting upper and lower body and combining the lower body with cardio time. It feels like less of a mountain to climb than doing a whole strength-training workout 3 days per week. 

• Like 1

Today is a rest day, but I am planning for the week ahead. 

Question: How important is not doing the same exercise every day to avoiding injury? I really like intervals of walking/jogging and it is convenient since I can do it right in my neighborhood. I like Zumba, too, but that is only once a week. I don't walk/jog on my Zumba day. 

I am really glad to have climbed back on the strength-training wagon. Now I need to add in what I only did sporadically anyway, which is some stretching. It's funny how that is my least favorite type of exercise. I wish I could just do it here and there but since the muscles are supposed to be warmed up first, that doesn't work as well. Anyway, I need to find a way to make it more pleasant. I generally like doing things outside, so could do as many as possible on the deck. Also, maybe some nice soothing music would be nice. 

Speaking of music, I think I need some that is portable. Assume that you are talking to a tech dummy and please tell me what you use and why you like it.  I would appreciate it. And if there has been something you tried that didn't work well, I'd like to hear that too. 

• Like 1

Question: How important is not doing the same exercise every day to avoiding injury? I really like intervals of walking/jogging and it is convenient since I can do it right in my neighborhood. I like Zumba, too, but that is only once a week. I don't walk/jog on my Zumba day.

I am really glad to have climbed back on the strength-training wagon. Now I need to add in what I only did sporadically anyway, which is some stretching. It's funny how that is my least favorite type of exercise. I wish I could just do it here and there but since the muscles are supposed to be warmed up first, that doesn't work as well. Anyway, I need to find a way to make it more pleasant. I generally like doing things outside, so could do as many as possible on the deck. Also, maybe some nice soothing music would be nice.

Speaking of music, I think I need some that is portable. Assume that you are talking to a tech dummy and please tell me what you use and why you like it. I would appreciate it. And if there has been something you tried that didn't work well, I'd like to hear that too.

Ipod shuffle for the music. It's small and clips on to your clothes. I used it when running and it was great. I haven't used it at the gym yet. Not sure if I will.

As for the same exercise every day, it seems like walking /jogging would be okay? I'm no expert, though. I don't do the same lifting exercise every day but I sometimes do the same muscle group.

Edited by Miss Peregrine
  • Like 2

After two days of marathon driving to pick up my DS from college, I am hankering for some exercise. I'll try to hit some tennis balls today. I leave for CO and the USTA tournament tomorrow. I'm giving myself a couple of days of acclimation; since it's been a while since I've played at altitude. I'll have to pick up high altitude balls when I get there.

• Like 3

After two days of marathon driving to pick up my DS from college, I am hankering for some exercise. I'll try to hit some tennis balls today. I leave for CO and the USTA tournament tomorrow. I'm giving myself a couple of days of acclimation; since it's been a while since I've played at altitude. I'll have to pick up high altitude balls when I get there.

All the best at your tennis tournament!!! Have a fantastic time and enjoy the play!

What are high altitude tennis ball, and how do they differ from regular ones. Are they higher pressure?  

• Like 3

Speaking of music, I think I need some that is portable. Assume that you are talking to a tech dummy and please tell me what you use and why you like it. I would appreciate it. And if there has been something you tried that didn't work well, I'd like to hear that too.

Unless you have an injury that makes it problematic, I don't see why you couldn't walk/run every day. It's the way the human body was designed to move, right? (Oh, that reminds me, if you haven't already seen Christopher McDougall's TED Talk called Born to Run, you might enjoy it!). I have an ankle that gives me trouble. I sprained it years ago, and it's touchy and sensitive to this day. It's frustrating because running is so rewarding. It gives me a burst of those happy endorphins like no other form of exercise. I'm trying to get back into it, but I'm taking it really slow.

I'm not big on stretching, personally, because my muscles ached all the time when I was stretching a lot. I only stretch now when something feels tight or uncomfortable. I realize I'm in a very small minority on this one, though. Obviously most people feel that it's beneficial. I just wanted to throw out the possibility that it isn't necessary if you don't enjoy it.

I have an iPod Nano. I think it's pretty user-friendly, but then again I'm used to it so maybe not the best judge. The Nano will only play music that you've purchased, it doesn't work with Apple's music subscription service, so that kind of stinks. I have an Audible membership, and I can load audiobooks onto the Nano as well. I really like that a lot, because boring cardio on a machine at the gym is a lot more fun when you're getting swept away by a good romance. ;)

• Like 2

Just listen to your own body. I can't run everyday, but I can play tennis, cross-country ski, walk or bike almost everyday. I don't run on the days I'm playing tennis. 

I think that running can be particularly hard on the joints. It's that constant pounding that can be pretty hard on the body. When I trained for my marathons I only ever ran 3 - 4 times a week, varying distances (1 short distance, 1 medium and one increasingly longer up to the race day). I know some people who can handle running 5 - 6 times a week, though. It really depends on what you're actually doing and how your body handles it.

• Like 2

I didn't get to hit balls yesterday due to rain and high winds. The town owned indoor facility is closed on Sundays and I don't have the money to drive to the cities to play. I should have gone to the Y for a workout but didn't.

DH and I leave today for the tournament. Play begins Thursday evening. I'm hoping to make it in time for an acclimation day but we've never towed the pop-up that far and I am a bit anxious as to how it will do.

I'm not sure how I feel about playing. The last time I played it was in 1999. I've waited 18 years to find the time and money to go play. I'm happy I took the steps to play at new clubs this year and hit against new players; that has helped with mental preparation of playing against unknown opponents. My racquet was restrung 10 days ago and I've only been able to play with it a couple of times and I don't like the new tension. It is what it is as I don't have the time or money to get it restrung. I wish I would have been able to afford a new racquet at the beginning of the year.

I have my favorite tennis clothes packed. Lots of socks. Deodorant. Nalgene. Head band. Sun screen. Tennis towel. 

@wintermom - high altitude balls have different pressure than regular balls. They are made for play above 3500 feet. Some people would like to see them discontinued as they can make play difficult.

• Like 4

I didn't get to hit balls yesterday due to rain and high winds. The town owned indoor facility is closed on Sundays and I don't have the money to drive to the cities to play. I should have gone to the Y for a workout but didn't.

DH and I leave today for the tournament. Play begins Thursday evening. I'm hoping to make it in time for an acclimation day but we've never towed the pop-up that far and I am a bit anxious as to how it will do.

I'm not sure how I feel about playing. The last time I played it was in 1999. I've waited 18 years to find the time and money to go play. I'm happy I took the steps to play at new clubs this year and hit against new players; that has helped with mental preparation of playing against unknown opponents. My racquet was restrung 10 days ago and I've only been able to play with it a couple of times and I don't like the new tension. It is what it is as I don't have the time or money to get it restrung. I wish I would have been able to afford a new racquet at the beginning of the year.

I have my favorite tennis clothes packed. Lots of socks. Deodorant. Nalgene. Head band. Sun screen. Tennis towel. 

@wintermom - high altitude balls have different pressure than regular balls. They are made for play above 3500 feet. Some people would like to see them discontinued as they can make play difficult.

Good for you for getting out of your comfort zone! Doing that makes it a win no matter the results! Best of luck!

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 1

Does anyone have any suggestions for exercises to relax the lower back? 

I rode several hours in a truck in which the seat was concave, not convex, and my lower back tightened up. That was a couple weeks ago. It's mostly okay, but now it will "go there" really easily, like this morning, after I had been sitting on a hard chair for about 1/2 hour. 

I don't think there is any injury, just very easily triggered into "protective tightened" mode.  When I do push-ups , planks, or squats, it can kind of kick up then. 

I've done the camel/cat stretches and that definitely helps. I wonder if there are more I could add to it. 

For pain in the sacrum area, I've gotten relief by just lying on my back, gently pulling my knees toward my chest, and sort of slowly rocking around. (Does that make sense?) But if your pain is more in the lumbar area then I'm not sure that would work.

• Like 1

I rode several hours in a truck in which the seat was concave, not convex, and my lower back tightened up. That was a couple weeks ago. It's mostly okay, but now it will "go there" really easily, like this morning, after I had been sitting on a hard chair for about 1/2 hour.

I don't think there is any injury, just very easily triggered into "protective tightened" mode. When I do push-ups , planks, or squats, it can kind of kick up then.

I've done the camel/cat stretches and that definitely helps. I wonder if there are more I could add to it.

This one is my go to video for lower back pain:

https://m.youtube.com/?gl=GB#/watch?v=06WYKCfdAn4

• Like 1

For pain in the sacrum area, I've gotten relief by just lying on my back, gently pulling my knees toward my chest, and sort of slowly rocking around. (Does that make sense?) But if your pain is more in the lumbar area then I'm not sure that would work.

It's not so much pain as just tightness and it is more lumbar but pulling the knees up would probably help. 

• Like 1