Menu

Well Trained Bodies - May 2017

Granny_Weatherwax

Just caught up on the new posts. For the record, I like thumb holes, but ultimately end up pulling my thumbs out as it begins to feel confining!

Yes, there will definitely be setbacks. Sometimes they last ten years for me :laugh:

Changing things up again this week. I took two days off over the weekend, and went back to the calorie counting and intermittent fasting (eating from 10-6) on Monday. It worked so well for me the past two weeks! I'm upping the exercise now though. Continuing the P90X stretch routine, but adding in 1 30 min 21 Day Fix Extreme workout daily. And the dog never ceases needing to be walked, so at least an hour a day out with the Big Guy.

I'm down 20-ish lbs, and would like to get another ten or so off. It's more fun to hike if I am hauling around less weight to start.

• Like 4

Checking in today: I did my week 2 day 2 run/walk for couch 2 5k. The weather here is finally warming up and it's so gorgeous in the mornings - it feels so great to be outside enjoying it! We had a very long and very cold winter, so I am really appreciative of this great weather. I came home and did my strength training so that is good.

Eating wise, I have backed away from the super-restrictive diet, while still trying to be more mindful about what and how much I am eating. It feels more sustainable for me in the long-term. I don't think I could ever be completely no dairy, no grains, etc. But I am recording calories on MyFitnessPal, feel much more cheerful, and am still seeing the scale bumping downward.

• Like 4

I went to my kettlebell interval class. Kettlebell sets are alternated with tabata. I then mowed my half acre lawn. I contemplated skipping my workout today, but remembered that I'm going out to a fancy dinner tonight. I will enjoy my glass of wine and dessert with no guilt!

• Like 2

Yesterday we took a big adventure/walk in the am(2 in a week- I must be feeling better I haven't been up for adventuring in a bit) and I taught the 1st graders in the afternoon. That's all I managed, I was too tired. Anyway, I decided I better do our strength work before my class, so that is done. I'm so close to 10 lbs off from my last thyroid crash.

Congrats Gr8landder on the 20 lb weight loss!

Pink Tuplip I think your eating plan sounds good, good job keeping with the running.

Edited by soror
  • Like 1

I got in some singles and doubles tennis, then a quick bike ride, and walk with a friend today. It was so nice to have good weather. Unfortunately, I didn't have a ton of time to squeeze this all in, so the ride and walk were short and so was the tennis (it was only 1 hour when I would have loved to play for 2+ hours).  :laugh:

Eating is really weird lately, as my stomach fills up fast and then is painful. I need to eat again rather soon, and feel that I need food so fast that I'll grab the first thing at hand (chocolate, wine, chips). I'm not complaining about the chocolate and wine, but the pain isn't all that fun. ;)

• Like 2

I'm sorry about your stomach Wintermom. I hope you can get that figured out.

I did my week 2, day 3 run this morning and it went well, so I'm happy about that. I also did my strength and am seeing progress there so that's exciting.

The weekend seems to be the time when my eating goes off the rails a bit, so today for lunch I made a big batch of healthy stuff I can reheat and grab when I don't feel like cooking. DH & I are going to a friend's house on Saturday night so I know that will not be my healthiest meal of the weekend. I'll try to make up for it by eating really well the rest of the weekend.

• Like 2

Yesterday, I put off strength training until the evening and just when I was about to start, the power went off, so I had to warm up without music. I did core, 1 lower body, 1 upper body set, so though it wasn't a whole workout, it was keeping a foot in the door. 

Today and tomorrow, I have to figure out how to motivate myself to do something aerobic when it is wet and cold out. 

• Like 2

Fri was 1 hr/functional movement/bodyweight stuff. I didn't overheat this time but I also wore shorts :) I'd like to get in a hike or bike ride this weekend, the weather is supposed to be nice. I have a short bodyweight work-out planned for today I hope to knock out early. 

I did crack yesterday and had a candy bar. I didn't plan well enough, I've been busy and not quite eating enough. Well, I went to class at 8:30 and all I'd ate was a Larabar, after some chatting and shopping by 10am I was sooo hungry I grabbed a Snickers (which I never eat), anyway, the rest of the day was good and I stocked up on groceries.

I can tell I've lost a bit of weight, I put on a sweater last night that was tight a few weeks ago and it was comfortable. I'm still not where I'd like to be but hoping that I'm back on the way down after my last med change. Energy is better if not perfect. Sleep was spot on but Fri I woke at 3:30, I made it to 4:30 today, not sure why, I like waking early but I don't want to be up before 5!

I realized yesterday that as of mid June, I've been going to the stupid gym regularly for one year.  Amazing to me.  LOL

Congrats, almost there.

Yesterday I did an insanity and kettle bell.

Woot!

Yesterday, I put off strength training until the evening and just when I was about to start, the power went off, so I had to warm up without music. I did core, 1 lower body, 1 upper body set, so though it wasn't a whole workout, it was keeping a foot in the door. 

Today and tomorrow, I have to figure out how to motivate myself to do something aerobic when it is wet and cold out. 

At least you are keeping your foot in the door. I've BTDT w/ thyroid stuff, sometimes it is just harder than others, but everything you do is helping to maintain, 1 day at a time.

I got in some singles and doubles tennis, then a quick bike ride, and walk with a friend today. It was so nice to have good weather. Unfortunately, I didn't have a ton of time to squeeze this all in, so the ride and walk were short and so was the tennis (it was only 1 hour when I would have loved to play for 2+ hours).  :laugh:

Eating is really weird lately, as my stomach fills up fast and then is painful. I need to eat again rather soon, and feel that I need food so fast that I'll grab the first thing at hand (chocolate, wine, chips). I'm not complaining about the chocolate and wine, but the pain isn't all that fun. ;)

Ya for tennis, boo for tummy pain :(

I'm sorry about your stomach Wintermom. I hope you can get that figured out.

I did my week 2, day 3 run this morning and it went well, so I'm happy about that. I also did my strength and am seeing progress there so that's exciting.

The weekend seems to be the time when my eating goes off the rails a bit, so today for lunch I made a big batch of healthy stuff I can reheat and grab when I don't feel like cooking. DH & I are going to a friend's house on Saturday night so I know that will not be my healthiest meal of the weekend. I'll try to make up for it by eating really well the rest of the weekend.

Kudos on the run and good job pre-planning.

Edited by soror
  • Like 3

Dh and I played some really fun doubles tennis for 3 hours last night. I had some sudden toe/foot/calf cramps in hour 2.5 when I was serving. I need to remember to have food and salt in my tennis bag. Also allergy pills as the pineapple juice someone found in the club house (which had the salt I needed), I reacted to. I'm going to have to equip my tennis bag as a mini-medical bag just for me!  :laugh:

• Like 3

So, I am:

--Pushing step counts up wearing a fitbit all the time

--Using the fitbit scale to track my (losing!) weight

--Trying to be more active during the day in general, so for instance, getting up and pacing during phone calls

--Starting the day with just coffee and water, and delaying starting to actually eat as long as possible, then eating veggies with cold water first.  This has made it a lot easier to eat less without being ravenously hungry.  For some reason, once I start eating for the day, I'm hungry for the rest of it.

--Intermittently tracking food with myfitnesspal

--Exposing my skin to the sun (but not burning) to try to naturally build up vitamin D

--Eating a higher proportion of protein than before to support my liver (I have mild NASH and need to be careful).  Also doing a little judicious supplementing to assist with this as well.

--Hiking a bit--I've done 3 4 mile hikes in the last month.  That's a good amount for me.

Results:

--I'm down 17 lbs from my peak weight toward the end of last year.  This feels sustainable, and I love how my forgiving clothes are less tight and I'm back in smaller jeans than my fattest ones.  

--This puts me riiiight at the bottom of class 2 obesity.  Another few pounds and I will just be class 1, which is considered low risk.

--I feel good!

--I'm starting to do some bodywork.  I went to a myofacial release therapist Thursday, and we got to talking, and the work went on for an hour and a half--twice as long as planned.  I'm achy but more limber now.  I'm planning to see a DNF chiropractor within the next two weeks to try to reduce the stiffness in my hips.  I've always had trouble justifying these kinds of expenditures before, but they are really helpful.

--I've been doing conscious relaxing of clenched muscles since taking an Alexander technique restorative dance class, and that has really helped with stiffness, posture, and recovery also.

--Average steps are up about 1500-2000/day since starting this.

I will turn 60 in December, and it will be interesting to see how far I will get by then.  It's not a race, though; rather, it's a lifestyle change and a turn toward being well, not just not sick.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 6

I haven't been able to break my slump yet.  I'm still exercising a little every day, just not as much as I was.  My husband has been sick and not working out, and I'm still getting a migraine almost every day around 3am, so I tell myself I'll go in the afternoon when I'll feel better, and when my daughter likes to workout.  But daughter only likes to workout for 20 minutes, so I haven't been accomplishing that much.  Sometimes she prefers to skip the gym entirely and just go for a walk.  So I haven't been a complete couch potato, but I'm still afraid that I'm losing ground since I haven't been working out as intensely.  I'm hoping to turn that around this weekend.  Yesterday I had a glorious migraine-free day so I was optimistically planning to work out two full hours today.  Today is not migraine-free, so that prospect is not as appealing!

I realized yesterday that as of mid June, I've been going to the stupid gym regularly for one year.  Amazing to me.  LOL

June will be my one year anniversary of weight-lifting, too!  I started cardio earlier (Dec 2015), but added weights in June.  

So, I am:

--Trying to be more active during the day in general, so for instance, getting up and pacing during phone calls

--Starting the day with just coffee and water, and delaying starting to actually eat as long as possible, then eating veggies with cold water first.  This has made it a lot easier to eat less without being ravenously hungry.  For some reason, once I start eating for the day, I'm hungry for the rest of it.

--Exposing my skin to the sun (but not burning) to try to naturally build up vitamin D

--Eating a higher proportion of protein than before to support my liver (I have mild NASH and need to be careful).  Also doing a little judicious supplementing to assist with this as well.

--Hiking a bit--I've done 3 4 mile hikes in the last month.  That's a good amount for me.

Results:

--I'm down 17 lbs from my peak weight toward the end of last year.  This feels sustainable, and I love how my forgiving clothes are less tight and I'm back in smaller jeans than my fattest ones.  

--This puts me riiiight at the bottom of class 2 obesity.  Another few pounds and I will just be class 1, which is considered low risk.

--I feel good!

--I'm starting to do some bodywork.  I went to a myofacial release therapist Thursday, and we got to talking, and the work went on for an hour and a half--twice as long as planned.  I'm achy but more limber now.  I'm planning to see a DNF chiropractor within the next two weeks to try to reduce the stiffness in my hips.  I've always had trouble justifying these kinds of expenditures before, but they are really helpful.

--I've been doing conscious relaxing of clenched muscles since taking an Alexander technique restorative dance class, and that has really helped with stiffness, posture, and recovery also.

I will turn 60 in December, and it will be interesting to see how far I will get by then.  It's not a race, though; rather, it's a lifestyle change and a turn toward being well, not just not sick.

:hurray:

• Like 2

So, I am:

Results:

--I feel good!

Sounds like a good plan and well done on the progress! 

About the NASH: I had it about 5 years ago. Once I had fixed up my eating habits (rare for me to eat sugary stuff now) , increased my exercise, and lost into the normal range (from obese) , none showed up in the MRI I had a couple years ago (not to check for NASH, but the liver was in view and they write down whatever they see---that's how I found out about it the first time.)  So be encouraged. That belly fat, including in the liver, is kept off by exercise  the STRRIDE study done some years ago)  and gotten off through both diet and exercise from what I have read.  The STRRIDE study also showed how easy it was to put it back on once a person became inactive. 

• Like 1

Last night, I did get in my 45 minutes, doing Zumba to Youtube videos.  Yea! That earned me 160 min of aerobic exercise including at least 60 min of vigorous exercise for the week. (3 sessions)  I want to do one more session this afternoon (weather is supposed to clear up) because my goal is actually 5 days per week, not just the minutes and the recent study about exercise and cognition that just came out said the more days per week the better at 45-60 min per session. I also have 2 strength training sessions in this week and need to do one more today. (I tend to put that off but have given myself till 3:00 as a deadline.) 

My eating has been fine but I need to get dinner ready earlier. I do try to observe a 13 hour fast between dinner and breakfast, so eating a late dinner means I can't eat till later in the morning. I think I do better with losing weight when dinner is earlier. 

• Like 3

I bought new tennis shoes today! The actual for-playing-tennis shoes, rather than what you Americans call tennis shoes or sneakers (what we call runners in Canada). They were on super-sale, so I was really pleased to get a good deal. They are also ultra-bright orange, so my feet will be a target on the court.  :laugh:   It's been raining off and on all day, so no long walks, bike rides or tennis. I've also been driving the dc around to various music, theatre and science fair activities. 

• Like 4

Got in my aerobics for a total of 75 vigorous minutes and 205 total minutes for the week. 

Now to motivate myself to get in my 3rd strength training of the week. (I missed my 3:00 pm deadline.) 

Yea! Strength training done. First time since getting back on the wagon that I did deadlifts. I lifted 15 lbs less than I had been, but... I am doing them again!  Did more push-ups than 2 days ago. Feel great now that it's done. I really wished I liked it more so I didn't put it off! (or that I had more ability to make myself do something I don't love a bit earlier in the day!) 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 3

Went for a long walk/hike with dd and the dog. It's still too wet and rainy for biking and tennis. We managed to squeeze in the rain between showers. Because the dog likes to pull, there is both upper and lower body work being done on my part.  :laugh:

• Like 3

Decided to forgo strength stuff yesterday. I really just want 2 days off so I have a chance to get "unsore". Today we went and did some adventuring/hiking at a local place we haven't hit before and another we haven't visited in ages, it was really lovely. Tomorrow I'll start back w/ strength stuff.

Went for a long walk/hike with dd and the dog. It's still too wet and rainy for biking and tennis. We managed to squeeze in the rain between showers. Because the dog likes to pull, there is both upper and lower body work being done on my part.  :laugh:

Sounds fun!

Got in my aerobics for a total of 75 vigorous minutes and 205 total minutes for the week. 

Now to motivate myself to get in my 3rd strength training of the week. (I missed my 3:00 pm deadline.) 

Yea! Strength training done. First time since getting back on the wagon that I did deadlifts. I lifted 15 lbs less than I had been, but... I am doing them again!  Did more push-ups than 2 days ago. Feel great now that it's done. I really wished I liked it more so I didn't put it off! (or that I had more ability to make myself do something I don't love a bit earlier in the day!) 

Woot, getting back to it! I think the ups and downs are normal, sometimes you just have to hang on. 

I didn't get a workout in today, but my kids did. I was cheering all four of them on in a triathalon for the elementary kids in our school district! So proud of them!

That is so neat, congrats to them!

• Like 3

Tomorrow I start my 12 week plan. The workouts don't seem terrible. It's mostly weight lifting stuff, which isn't my favorite, but doesn't seem overly difficult and shouldn't take long. I think maybe I just prefer DVDs because there's something to follow. There's an instructor to listen to and other people to watch, music in the background, I can just follow along so I know what to do and when and the pacing...there's just less to think about and it's more interesting. Working out by myself in the basement will take some getting used to.

The diet will be hard. The food itself doesn't look too hard (except much less fat than I usually eat), but eating six times a day sounds time consuming- especially when I have days when I only eat once or twice because I'm too busy to eat more often.

The biggest thing I'm worried about is that it'll all take so much time that I'll fall behind on everything else - or further behind since I already feel like I'm scrambling to keep up with everything.

• Like 4

I'm amazed at how many people are at the gym during the day. I did some of the weight machines for the first time.  I started out slowly.  I need to come up with some sort of plan.  Anyone have any suggestions for that?  I think where I go you can get a little help with that, but it's a very low frills gym in general. 

• Like 4

My exercise this weekend was setting up, working, and tearing down the booth at a Bluegrass Festival in Calico, CA.

Today my exercise will be unloading leftover inventory when I take it back to the boss. Then I'm RESTING.

Edited by scrapbookbuzz
  • Like 6

Last week: 362 active minutes; 4 HIIT classes; 2 Pilates classes; one 4 mile walk; one 35 min bike session; lots of digging the new bed. Plus beer for Mother's Day :D

This week's plans: 3 HIIT classes; 2 Pilates classes; hopefully finish digging the entire bed (kidney shaped w 82' circumference). I have jury duty Thursday so that might affect my plans.

This is week 3 of the May challenge at the gym :)

Graduation party is schedule for May 29. The bed needs to be dug, the new shrubs planted, edging in, and mulched by then. Yep.

• Like 4

Decided to forgo strength stuff yesterday. I really just want 2 days off so I have a chance to get "unsore". Today we went and did some adventuring/hiking at a local place we haven't hit before and another we haven't visited in ages, it was really lovely. Tomorrow I'll start back w/ strength stuff.

Sounds fun!

Everything I've ever read says that is a good plan. My understanding is that your muscle is actually building up on your resting days (when the repair is done from what you've stressed during your lifting days.) And I think if you're still quite sore that you obviously need some more repair before tearing it up again. :) 

• Like 2

Week is off to a good start! (I really like it when I get my Monday workout in. I don't start in the hole!) 

Dug in the garden for a while, then did a combination of walking uphills (downhill recovery), then jogging on a flat stretch in 1 min intervals with 30 sec of walking recovery. 

This week, I'm going to try splitting my strength training into upper body and lower body workouts just to see how that works out. I've never tried that before. So tonight, I did my upper body workout. Push-ups are continuing to improve a bit as I work my way back to where I was before I got sick. 

• Like 2

I'm amazed at how many people are at the gym during the day. I did some of the weight machines for the first time.  I started out slowly.  I need to come up with some sort of plan.  Anyone have any suggestions for that?  I think where I go you can get a little help with that, but it's a very low frills gym in general. 

I look up exercises on bodybuilding.com when I need more inspiration. Does your gym have cable machines? Sometimes I just google "cable machine oblique" or whatever I want to work on. I had a trainer show me a few things, too and she helped a lot.

Also, if you look at who the machines are made by you can look up exercises for xyz machines.

Edited by Miss Peregrine
  • Like 3

My weekend was not the best, eating wise, so that's a little frustrating, but today is a new day and I'm back on track.

I went walking with my sister for an hour this morning - basically straight up the mountain for 30 minutes and then back down. It was perfect weather and so fun to be with my sister who is usually super busy.

Tomorrow my plan is to do my couch to 5k and my strength workout. I usually do those MWF, but will do Tues, Thurs, Sat this week instead. It's supposed to snow here Wednesday (!) so I think it will work out for the best to not seriously think I will actually go running in the snow. I'm just not that hard-core about all of this yet!

• Like 4

I look up exercises on bodybuilding.com when I need more inspiration. Does your gym have cable machines? Sometimes I just google "cable machine oblique" or whatever I want to work on. I had a trainer show me a few things, too and she helped a lot.

Also, if you look at who the machines are made by you can look up exercises for xyz machines.

I'm not sure what a cable machine is.  Only thing I need help with is figuring out how to adjust the machines to fit my body.  It's been awhile so with some I felt kinda awkward trying to figure that out.

I do have an appointment Friday.

Yesterday I only managed 2 rounds of strength work b/c I ran out of time before I had to leave and I've decided not to do my work-outs late as they mess with my sleep. Today I'll do the other 2 rounds at least. I taught 2 classes to k'ers, one 30 min- one 45 min. Took a walk with the girls, not too fast or far but it was nice to get out anyway ( a little bit of sprinting in there too to keep up with the youngest on her bike).

So today--

walk

strength training

This week's plan- strength work- M/T/W/R/F; teaching classes M- 2 classes; W-3 classes; F/S/Sun- All day yoga training

Walks and adventures when I can.

I'm going to be actually teaching an extra class this week(5 instead of 4) but it is sure nice to have them in fewer days. I'm glad to have a couple of days off this week especially as I have training this weekend and will be going out of town. It is my last in person training, at least for a bit anyway, I started last Sep and this is weekend 11! I'll be sooo happy to mark that off my list. I'm then hoping to get my 30 hrs of teaching between May 22nd to July 30 so I can register.

• Like 4

I think I may have finally broken through  my "slump" -- had a good workout yesterday.  Went (alone) to the gym for an hour of cardio first thing in the morning.  Returned there in the afternoon with my daughter and did an upper body weight workout.  We also went for a walk around sunset.  So it was a good day.

Let's hope I can keep up the momentum and make it a good week.

• Like 4

I have two days in on the new plan and so far, so good. I'm sore from working out, it feels like I eat all day (and I'm still hungry!), and I'm tired from getting up early and having my days so busy.

Yesterday was chest and shoulders and today was back and abs. I'm also supposed to do a 15 minute HIIT workout. That part didn't happen today. I went to karate class though and that's 1.5 hours and I walked with friends tonight. I think that's good enough for today.

• Like 2

I did my week 3 day 1 run/walk for Couch to 5k. It went well overall, but it's embarrassing how out of shape I am. At least I'm trying to do something, so that's a consolation.

I came home and did my strength training, and my food has been on track today.

• Like 2

My workout today was pathetic. Everything felt too heavy. I was distracted because I had to bring my son and he was just sitting in the lobby. I need to figure out food.I am a new vegetarian and in an overall "hating food" phase. Nothing sounds good at all and I need to eat more or I binge on junk. :/

• Like 2

I don't have time to catch up on the whole thread this morning.

This past week has been awful for exercising and watching food intake. We've had family visiting from out-of-town for DD's college graduation. Between celebrations and meeting everyone's needs and desires, and stress eating (because - let's admit it - hosting family is stressful), I haven't done well. There was little time to exercise. :(  I've only played tennis once since the 10th. 

Everyone leaves today but then I'm off to pick up DS from college over the weekend so it will be another long weekend with little to no exercise.

Once I get back from picking up DS, DH and I leave for a vacation. Those plans have changed multiple times due to flooding. At present, I am supposed to go play in a USTA tournament in CO. However, my racquet was restrung earlier this week and it's chipped in multiple places; huge chips are missing. I'm trying to find time to get to the racquet club to find out what happened. The chips are spaced evenly apart and I'm wondering if the stringing machine wasn't tightened too much. Ugh, it's frustrating.

• Like 2

My workout today was pathetic. Everything felt too heavy. I was distracted because I had to bring my son and he was just sitting in the lobby. I need to figure out food.I am a new vegetarian and in an overall "hating food" phase. Nothing sounds good at all and I need to eat more or I binge on junk. :/

I have found that some days are just like that with no explanation. Just press on. (pun intended!) 

• Like 2

The experiment in breaking up workouts into upper and lower body is going well so far (2 days. haha!) 

Today, I need to get in an upper body workout before Zumba (or maybe after!) Zumba will take care of the cardio. 

Yesterday, I tried to incorporate some of the lower body into the cardio part of my workout, so I did digging in the garden as a kind of warm up :) , then walked up and down a steep hill quickly as the real warm up, did 4 sets of dumbbell squats, then finished up the hour with walking/jogging. I did the banded clamshells later as they don't affect my heartrate much. The dumbbell squats get me way up to the "max" range. 

I liked that I cut down my total workout time and kept the cardio going. 

I wonder how much it matters that I did the clamshells much later. Anyone know? I've always wondered about whether there were really significantly more benefits to doing several exercises together or whether dispersing them throughout the day is okay. (Tucking in a set of push-ups here and there into the day would definitely be more palatable than a whole string of sets alternated with rows.) 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 1

I'm sorry about your frustrations, Miss Peregrine and Scoutermom, and I hope that things turn around soon.

I just did half an hour of cardio yesterday, and it was raining so we didn't do our usual evening walk.  So it wasn't quite as productive as Monday, but that's okay.

I wonder how much it matters that I did the clamshells much later. Anyone know? I've always wondered about whether there were really significantly more benefits to doing several exercises together or whether dispersing them throughout the day is okay. (Tucking in a set of push-ups here and there into the day would definitely be more palatable than a whole string of sets alternated with rows.) 

I'd like to hear what others think, but from what I've read I would guess that it depends on your goal.  Stringing the exercises together can help with endurance, but spreading them out can help build strength.  Getting them done, whether all together or separately, is of course the most important part!  The rest is just detail, I think.  And I wouldn't think it would matter too much with an exercise like clamshells anyway, since that's not working a large/major muscle.

• Like 1

Monday started out great exercise-wise. I walked, biked and played tennis. Then I had a bad allergic reaction, had to use my epi-pen on myself (as well as my friend's epi), and took an ambulance to the ER. Tuesday I rested all day. Adrenaline and allergic reaction has a strong effect on the body, to say the least.  :o   I'm also afraid to eat anything...

I'm hoping to play some tennis today as the weather is gorgeous. 

• Like 2

Monday started out great exercise-wise. I walked, biked and played tennis. Then I had a bad allergic reaction, had to use my epi-pen on myself (as well as my friend's epi), and took an ambulance to the ER. Tuesday I rested all day. Adrenaline and allergic reaction has a strong effect on the body, to say the least.  :o   I'm also afraid to eat anything...

Oh man...that's scary.  Glad you are getting better.

• Like 2

I'd like to hear what others think, but from what I've read I would guess that it depends on your goal.  Stringing the exercises together can help with endurance, but spreading them out can help build strength.  Getting them done, whether all together or separately, is of course the most important part!  The rest is just detail, I think.  And I wouldn't think it would matter too much with an exercise like clamshells anyway, since that's not working a large/major muscle.

Yes, just tuck in the exercises when and where you can throughout the day.  You're not training for the Olympics, I'm assuming, so the overall training program doesn't really need to be controlled down to the very last detail. The nice thing about spreading the exercise out during the day is that you have plenty of built-in rest and recovery time in a nice environment, and you don't have to stay cooped up in a smelly gym as long.  :laugh:

The difficulty would be remember to do the exercises, I would think. There are so many distractions at home. ;)

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

Yesterday my period came- BLAH---We did a walk with a few bursts of running and I wanted a break and then the period started and I wasn't feeling well- nauseous and tired(thank you hormones). So far today we've had a walk but I told ds we've got to do some strength training although I know it isn't going to be that great with how I'm feeling. I'm just hoping I'm perky enough for my classes this afternoon, K'ers require a certain amount of spunk! Anyway, the plan is to do some strength work, eat lunch and then take a nap before I have to leave.

(wintermom) You don't know what caused the reaction? How scary!

Scoutermom- congrats and hugs, sometimes life is crazy, it will be ok, it is the getting back with it that matters.

re: exercises together or apart- there is the principal of greasing the groove that many find helpful, which is doing little bits all through the day and never going to fatigue, you can't do that with many things at once but I think it can be good with 1 or 2 things at a time. I just aim to get stuff done, preferably at one time so I don't miss it but whatever, I'm not that picky.

Edited by soror
  • Like 2

I'm sorry about your frustrations, Miss Peregrine and Scoutermom, and I hope that things turn around soon.

I just did half an hour of cardio yesterday, and it was raining so we didn't do our usual evening walk.  So it wasn't quite as productive as Monday, but that's okay.

That was what I was thinking: just get them done. It works better for me to space them out usually. 

Actually, clamshells hit my glutes pretty hard. I do them with a resistance band. Much more likely to get DOMS from them then squats or deadlifts!  And the outer thigh muscle exercise is also very key for me to avoid hip/knee issues. However, they don't hit me cardio-wise, just kick me in the literal butt. 

• Like 1

Yes, just tuck in the exercises when and where you can throughout the day.  You're not training for the Olympics, I'm assuming, so the overall training program doesn't really need to be controlled down to the very last detail. The nice thing about spreading the exercise out during the day is that you have plenty of built-in rest and recovery time in a nice environment, and you don't have to stay cooped up in a smelly gym as long.  :laugh:

The difficulty would be remember to do the exercises, I would think. There are so many distractions at home. ;)

I'm not training for the Olympics, no, but my goal is to accumulate some muscle mass. I am in my 60s and want to make sure I don't lose muscle mass as well as tuck some extra away for a rainy day. :) 

If my goal is to build the muscle mass, would your answer be different? 

I've got a lot of ADHD tendencies so flitting between one task and the next actually works well for me: work in the kitchen for 15 min, do some strength training, work on the computer, strength training, etc. So it works quite well for me. I just didn't know if there were any downsides. 

• Like 1

I toyed with the idea of getting one of those step trackers, but I'm afraid that would drive me crazy.

Do you mean having to wear/carry it all the time? I started with a clip-on type and that did drive me crazy. I have a wristband type now, and I completely forget that it's there.

Oh no!!! That's terrible! I'm so sorry, and sure hope that you are recovering well.

That was what I was thinking: just get them done. It works better for me to space them out usually. 

My problem is I forget to do them, but if you don't have that problem, I say go for it! It might have the advantage of allowing yo to do more at each set, since you'll have longer rest periods between sets.

Actually, clamshells hit my glutes pretty hard. I do them with a resistance band. Much more likely to get DOMS from them then squats or deadlifts!  And the outer thigh muscle exercise is also very key for me to avoid hip/knee issues. However, they don't hit me cardio-wise, just kick me in the literal butt.

Oh, that's interesting! My physical therapist taught me clamshells for treating piriformis syndrome, and they work wonderfully for that. I don't feel them that much in my gluteus, though. Maybe she gave me a very particular version of the exercise? Or maybe I'm doing them wrong! Lol