Menu

Advanced Biology or A&P Or Chemistry - thoughts and comments needed before planning

Dd15-9th is wrapping a pretty successful year using Miller Levine Biology with lots of supplementary videos and lectures. We did all the chapters with the exception of the final chapters on human body. We left those chapters out primarily because of time. I always thought I could take those chapters and later supplement into .5 credit for A&P. I had planned on Chemistry for this coming school year. Dd is really enjoying the ML book and surprised me this week with the request to finish the book. She has truly had such a light bulb moment with bio this year. So, do I go ahead and supplement/flesh out an A&P course (book/video reqs welcome!) and at the same time do a "health" class (required for college) at another .5 credits? OR take on an "Advanced Biology" Course (not advanced placed) and dive deeper in. (I have a rusty science degree myself. And would love to take some time on microbiology) OR move on with Chemistry, which I think she will love as well.

Any thoughts or comments are welcome. ALL book/video etc reqs are cherished!!!!

Most advanced biology requires chemistry, so I'd do a solid chemistry course prior to any college-level biology program.

That doesn't mean she couldn't take A&P before that, if she desired. I'm looking at Human Physiology by Stuart Fox, with the Physio Ex9 Lab simulations, and probably an anatomy coloring book for my daughter and my younger son (in 3-4 years).

• Like 1

We are doing the last chapters of M-L now, after doing the rest of the book. My student will receive one credit for biology.

We may well do Anatomy and Physiology later, but I will use an anatomy textbook. I do not think these last few chapters are adequate as the spine for an A and P course, YMMV, but I don't think they are nearly detailed enough. I was thinking of A and P as a full year credit, though, not 0.5.

• Like 1

It is hard to discern brief interest from college/career ambition at this age. But I think the answer does depend at least partially on her ambitions. Ironically, the more she aspires to health career, the less important it is to learn human A&P now. It's actually not even a college requirement for medical school (I'm a doctor). You would likely love to satisfy her current joy in learning; I have a DD14 and if she loves something we ride that horse til it dies LOL. But there is such a thing as too much science. You can't go far in biology (human or otherwise) without some chemistry. I would suggest letting her finish the book by "auditing" it this summer (no labs or tests unless she wants, just read it for fun and talk to her about it), then do A-Beka or similar one semester health course, and do chemistry next year. If her biology love persists, 11th or 12 grade is good time for "advanced/human" biology, not AP, especially if she's not a "physics kid". Such a class is really an elective IMO, regarding college prep and admissions, except perhaps for nursing school.

Edited by tj_610
  • Like 1

If he spends this month learning organ systems and doing a little test prep, he could potentially be prepared to take the SAT subject test in biology.  Some colleges (not all...check your schools of interest) require a couple of subject tests.  Or at least they provide some outside validation of what he learned.  

• Like 1

My dd14 is finishing Bio this year.  She wants to be a bio major.  We are doing semester science classes as electives all 4 years.  Last year(2016-2017), she had a semester of entomology.  This year(2017-2018), she is taking herpetology.  I plan to do a botany, an A&P, and possibly a geology semester.

• Like 1

Dd15-9th is wrapping a pretty successful year using Miller Levine Biology with lots of supplementary videos and lectures. We did all the chapters with the exception of the final chapters on human body. We left those chapters out primarily because of time. I always thought I could take those chapters and later supplement into .5 credit for A&P. I had planned on Chemistry for this coming school year. Dd is really enjoying the ML book and surprised me this week with the request to finish the book. She has truly had such a light bulb moment with bio this year. So, do I go ahead and supplement/flesh out an A&P course (book/video reqs welcome!) and at the same time do a "health" class (required for college) at another .5 credits? OR take on an "Advanced Biology" Course (not advanced placed) and dive deeper in. (I have a rusty science degree myself. And would love to take some time on microbiology) OR move on with Chemistry, which I think she will love as well.

Any thoughts or comments are welcome. ALL book/video etc reqs are cherished!!!!

I think your plan sounds great. I would go for it. It is best to ride the interests they have when possible. 

• Like 2

rjand4more, I recommend you and DD thoroughly investigate admissions requirements for a wide range of potential colleges. It would be very unusual to enter as an aspiring biology major without taking a high school chemistry year. Some colleges just specify "3 units science, inc. 1 of bio and 1 of 'physical' science" (which doesn't mandate it be chemistry or physics; geology qualifies). But some do specify a year of chemistry. I'd hate for your DD to find out she needs to cram in chemistry in summer after 11th or in 12th grade. One really cannot go very far in biology if one doesn't grasp chemistry basics. It does help separate "biology is fun" from "I want a career in this" for kids. Don't mean to be judgy; you probably already plan on chemistry in addition to those great electives. Just speaking as a long-ago biology major with a dd14 who thinks she loves biology but chemistry awaits. :-)

Edited by tj_610
  • Like 1

rjand4more, I recommend you and DD thoroughly investigate admissions requirements for a wide range of potential colleges. It would be very unusual to enter as an aspiring biology major without taking a high school chemistry year. Some colleges just specify "3 units science, inc. 1 of bio and 1 of 'physical' science" (which doesn't mandate it be chemistry or physics; geology qualifies). But some do specify a year of chemistry. I'd hate for your DD to find out she needs to cram in chemistry in summer after 11th or in 12th grade. One really cannot go very far in biology if one doesn't grasp chemistry basics. It does help separate "biology is fun" from "I want a career in this" for kids. Don't mean to be judgy; you probably already plan on chemistry in addition to those great electives. Just speaking as a long-ago biology major with a dd14 who thinks she loves biology but chemistry awaits. :-)

She wasn't saying she will not do chemistry, she was just trying to decide what to do next. 

• Like 2

Thank you.  Our plan:

9th Biology(1 year), Entomology(1 semester)

10th physics(1 year), Herpetology(1 semester), Possibly A&P(1 semester)

11th chemistry(1 year), Geology or Botany or both(1 semester each)

12 AP biology(1 year), Geology or Botany if she didn't do them both 11th grade

I did not realize geology is considered a physical science.  That is good to know!  She ultimately wants to work in a Natural History museum so she's testing our potential courses of study.

• Like 3

Thank you. Our plan:

9th Biology(1 year), Entomology(1 semester)

10th physics(1 year), Herpetology(1 semester), Possibly A&P(1 semester)

11th chemistry(1 year), Geology or Botany or both(1 semester each)

12 AP biology(1 year), Geology or Botany if she didn't do them both 11th grade

I did not realize geology is considered a physical science. That is good to know! She ultimately wants to work in a Natural History museum so she's testing our potential courses of study.

How do you plan to award credits (transcript) for this? Love the plan!

How do you plan to award credits (transcript) for this? Love the plan!

I am planning to award general elective credits for these(other than the year long sciences, of course).  My older son is an anthropology major.  He had a ton of history/SS general electives.

• Like 1