Menu

Help! Need advice on Rod & Staff's new 1st grade phonics?

Nzeph01

Hi,

I'm really debating between Rod & Staff's old (2nd ed) phonics program and their revised (3rd edition). I would use the reading portion as well. I know the old one is supposed to have more sight words but that's not an issue for me b/c my dd7 is already reading but not well. I was gonna buy the new one b/c I always tend to think if they took the time to revise, then it must be better. After looking at the samples, however, idk which one to go with b/c I realized 1) the newer edition has more lessons 2) each phonics lesson has 4 pgs to complete vs the 2 pgs in the old edition.

So, if anyone has used or seen the new edition in person plz let me know: Should I get the old edition or is the new one in fact better? TIA!

Edited by Nzeph01

Hi,

I'm really debating between Rod & Staff's old (2nd ed) phonics program and their revised (3rd edition). I would use the reading portion as well. I know the old one is supposed to have more sight words but that's not an issue for me b/c my dd7 is already reading but not well. I was gonna buy the new one b/c I always tend to think if they took the time to revise, then it must be better. After looking at the samples, however, idk which one to go with b/c I realized 1) the newer edition has more lessons 2) each phonics lesson has 4 pgs to complete vs the 2 pgs in the old edition.

So, if anyone has used or seen the new edition in person plz let me know: Should I get the old edition or is the new one in fact better? TIA!

As much as I love R&S for many things, I cannot recommend the reading. I've only seen the only, not yet the new, so maybe something has changed, but the old one has way too much sight-reading, IMHO. Yes, even though your dc is reading, she does not need sight words. I'd go with something more phonics based, such as Alpha Phonics, or the Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading, or Spalding or one of its offshoots (All About Reading/Spelling, SWR, Logic of English, et al).

I used the old edition this year and I really liked it.  The phonics program is really strong, and I like the Bible stories for reading.  That said, I thought the reading workbooks were a lot of busy work that we didn't need, so we only did the phonics workbook with the readers.  I heard that the new program focuses more on phonics in the stories and less on sight words to get going.  I had talked to someone who beta tested the new program and she loved the changes.  If I were you I would get the new one and just cross of pages if I felt it was too much.  Hope that helps.

I'm stressing just reading this. My youngest is only 3, so won't need the phonics and reading for a couple of more years. I saved my old phonics/reading TM, and just planned on purchasing the workbooks for her when we need them. I loved R&S phonics. I wasn't totally in love with the reading, but I did the 1st grade through with both of mine for the one year only. I too liked that it was Bible reading, and it was easy to do from the same TM. 

I know they have kept the old edition of the 1st grade math around for those of us that have the old TMs. I hope they do the same with the old student phonics workbooks. :) 

And I am no help for the actual question. Just thinking out loud here. 

In reply to 2_girls_mommy:

Rod & Staff is one of those really nice companies to buy from. They usually keep the older versions in stock for a long while. You probably don't have to worry about needing to buy the new version. They understand small private church schools and homeschools can't just up and purchase the newest version for their students whenever new versions come out. Often if you call, they will help you find what you are looking for. Everyone I've talked to there was very polite and helpful.

As for the original question:

I have not seen R&S's new program, but I'm sure they updated it for good reasons. They only update when there is a genuine need. Again if you have questions give the company a call. I'm sure they can help you out.

It is nice to hear the sight words will be reduced though. I've used R&S with my older children up through 4th grade. The Bible stories are nice. My children didn't start them till they were reading, so the sight words never caused a problem. The reading workbooks were a bit much, but the phonics books are very well done. We tried another phonics program this yr. w/ my current 1st grader, but I'm switching back (old version) next yr. for both her (2nd) and her sister (1st).

• Like 1