Menu

Help me pick 5th grade writing?

MommaOfalotta

I'm torn between IEW Ancients and CAP W&R (Narrative 1 and 2).

Notes: I have never used anything from IEW or W&R (and we would be skipping fables after looking through the samples)

DD will be studying ancients this year with SOTW1. I'll be simplifying it for younger brother and beefing up for dd.

I've looked through samples and IEW looks great and challenging. W&R looks fun, less complicated, and I notice both Narrative books still have stories to tie in with Ancients theme.

Ideally I would love to do the first narrative AND IEW but I notice the latter is a full years writing curriculum not a semesters.

I'm thinking we will use Hake for grammar if that makes a difference.

I'm doing Narrative 1& 2 with my upcoming 5th grader, she did Treasured Conversations this year and ideally should be writing reports and such but she could still use more support. I might have her do some reports in between weeks of Narrative or after she finishes, we'll see how it goes. Or she might do some of Wordsmith Apprentice for fun. N1&2 only have 22 lessons total(or around that) so we will be doing something else as well and I'm not really a fan of WR's 4th book.

• Like 1

I'm doing Narrative 1& 2 with my upcoming 5th grader, she did Treasured Conversations this year and ideally should be writing reports and such but she could still use more support. I might have her do some reports in between weeks of Narrative or after she finishes, we'll see how it goes. Or she might do some of Wordsmith Apprentice for fun. N1&2 only have 22 lessons total(or around that) so we will be doing something else as well and I'm not really a fan of WR's 4th book.

We used CAP as well.

But I want to know your thoughts on book 4. We just finished that and I've been debating about book 5.

So can I slightly derail this thread and ask for your thoughts on that?

• Like 1

We used CAP as well.

But I want to know your thoughts on book 4. We just finished that and I've been debating about book 5.

So can I slightly derail this thread and ask for your thoughts on that?

I don't have an expert opinion from what I've seen of the samples it looks too repetitive to me and I'm not sold on the usefulness of it for us, ymmv.

I don't have an expert opinion from what I've seen of the samples it looks too repetitive to me and I'm not sold on the usefulness of it for us, ymmv.

Yes. I could see that. I need to look through samples of Book 5. Edited by lexi