Menu

Is everyone who owns a Speed Queen still happy with it?

Vida Winter

I've had mine for 6 years. I love it. Not in the inappropriate way I love my vitamix and my new bed, but in the safe, i-can-take-it-for-granted way and it just always works and my clothes come out clean. To be perfectly honest, it replaced a 17-year-old, $300 Magic Chef toploader that worked just as well. If that thing still existed, I would've bought another one. I have this theory that the water does most of the work anyway.

The three year warranty felt nice and secure.

• Like 5

Following.  We are hoping our 15 year old W/D Kenmore Elite set lasts through next year, when we move.  We aren't lugging them back to CA with us.  

So we will need a new set.  I am probably going to push for a stacked set to save space.  Our house will be much smaller in CA!

• Like 1

Still like mine. It's almost five years old with a family of five. It did need a repair recently- the belt was stretched out and the tub wouldn't spin properly, so he replaced the belt. Also changed out the hoses (they recommend every five years for them). But they seem like normal wear and tear and the cost was minimal- around $100-150.

• Like 1

I used one at a hotel, and I was so disappointed! I've never had a washer in a hotel not even dissolve the powdered soap! In this case, I really hope the water does most of the work, because I think they just sat and then spun out :( And I put half in the dryer (hung the rest). Not even the underwear was dry.

• Like 1

I've only had mine since November but I have no regrets.  I got used to the funky smelling stuff from my front loader but I immediately noticed how much fresher my stuff smelled. There is also fewer grease spots left on clothes (my kids are messy and I seldom pretreat)

• Like 3

I used one at a hotel, and I was so disappointed! I've never had a washer in a hotel not even dissolve the powdered soap! In this case, I really hope the water does most of the work, because I think they just sat and then spun out :( And I put half in the dryer (hung the rest). Not even the underwear was dry.

I wonder if the soap problem was related to the water vs the washer? As to not spinning, it sounds like that washer needed to be repaired. I've often found hotel washers haven't received the best care. :-/

Edited by Cinder
  • Like 2

I wonder if the soap problem was related to the water vs the washer? As to not spinning, it sounds like that washer needed to be repaired. I've often found hotel washers haven't received the best care. :-/

Totally. I was just so surprised after noticing they were SQs. First time seeing/using one (that I'm aware of) and after hearing all about them here, my expectations were so high :)
  • Like 1

No experience with Speed Queen, but my wife bought a Samsung washing machine, during December 2015, and she loves it. It replaced our beloved Whirlpool, which worked extremely hard for 20+ years and is now retired and resting comfortably in our Laundry Room. Whatever you buy, I hope you will be happy with it!

The Proctor-Silex Coffee Maker we have is the best one we have ever had. It said something on the box about being leak proof or spill proof or something and that is true.

I had to reset the water level on mine (was too low) but other than that, I like the washing machine.

I do not like the Speed Queen dryer.  I have had troubles with it from the start and can't seem to get it fixed.

How do you do that?  I do wish the water filled a little fuller on mine sometimes.

I've had mine for about a year and still like it. It runs through the cycles super fast. :). I also have the dryer but am not in love with it - it gets too hot and tends to shrink things. 

It washes fast?  Like how fast?  Faster than a reg. washer?

We got ours February 1.  Like it a lot.  But, when it was delivered, the inner stainless steel basket had rust.  Yes, I'm serious, I know its rare for stainless steel but there it was. The appliance store had to order a new basket and replaced a couple days later. So just check that, idk if they got a bad batch from the basket manufacturer or what. 

Also I'm still getting used to the water turning off once you open the lid.  This irritates me because I can't rinse out the soap cap after putting in the soap. I've adapted by letting the water run a couple minutes, then add the soap, then dip rinse the cap.  But I've forgotten a few times to come back after starting the water and have run an empty washer :\

I think the design change comes end of 2018, thats what the sales guy told us.

• Like 1

Had mine for almost a year and love it. The only thing I hate is that it doesn't fill water if the top is open (so I can start a load, leave the top open, and walk away to let it soak). But I don't think any modern washer do that. I will never go back to a HE washer. 

I'm horrible at keeping track of how much time has passed.  I thought that I only had my SQ for two years.  It's actually been 4!  And as I responded up thread, I still like it.  Why am I coming back to say this?  Because the passage of time seems to cement for me just how good it is since some of the new machines end up being obsolete and breaking down after about 8 years.  I'm hoping that my SQ will last much much longer than that.