Menu

Perspective: the highly accomplished student rejections

8filltheheart

I'm sorry medical school applications didn't work out for your son this year.  Our daughter had the advantage that  I am a physician and her brother is currently a surgery resident. (His experiences regarding school fit and applications were much more relevant than mine.) Because of this I'm really not sure how good her pre-med advising was or was not.

Just updating here too... off waitlist!   :party: He's officially going to be part of the incoming class at U of R's Med School this fall.  I suspect (but don't know) that some of his doctor acquaintances (from shadowing) might have had some input considering they took him under their wing for reapplying this coming year had it been needed.  If so, we're eternally grateful.

• Like 31

Just updating here too... off waitlist!   :party: He's officially going to be part of the incoming class at U of R's Med School this fall.  I suspect (but don't know) that some of his doctor acquaintances (from shadowing) might have had some input considering they took him under their wing for reapplying this coming year had it been needed.  If so, we're eternally grateful.

This is awesome news!  So happy for your son!

• Like 1

Just updating here too... off waitlist! :party: He's officially going to be part of the incoming class at U of R's Med School this fall. I suspect (but don't know) that some of his doctor acquaintances (from shadowing) might have had some input considering they took him under their wing for reapplying this coming year had it been needed. If so, we're eternally grateful.

Great news!!!!! Congratulations!

• Like 1

Just updating here too... off waitlist! :party: He's officially going to be part of the incoming class at U of R's Med School this fall. I suspect (but don't know) that some of his doctor acquaintances (from shadowing) might have had some input considering they took him under their wing for reapplying this coming year had it been needed. If so, we're eternally grateful.

Awesome news! So happy for him and your family :)
  • Like 2

A friend of mine talked about that. She said that when you're young, you don't know too many people who've had bad things happen to them. But the time you're 40, you know someone whose died in a motorcycle accident, you know someone whose spouse died young, you know someone who *fill in the blank.*

And once you start knowing people who've had bad things happen to them, you get more cautious and start to wonder if you'll be next. When you're young you think, "Oh, I don't know anyone whose actually had that happen!" So it's not as real that bad things can happen when you're young.

True in some ways for me. I am much more anxious about risks my children undertake and more aware of how dumb people are. I am convinced that if I water ski on a nice weekend, some drunk idiot will plow into me in a boat. I am more careful driving, more afraid of drunk drivers, and more alert to personal safety in public.

But I also find myself more free to take risks for myself if It's something I really want to do. I am more willing to hike in tricky places, swim across a current, etc. I would love to try caving. I did read descent, and would still try it.

My youngest are 19. I have fulfilled my biological function, and it is very freeing.

• Like 6