Menu

Best Art History Great Courses?

DD has been studying Art History with a teacher through Landry and then Excelsior for maybe a year and a half now but she wants to do more for summer and falll and thought a Great Courses course or two would work well.  She loves art and Art History.  I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a really well done one?

I've also heard great things about How to Look at & Understand Great Art.  I'm hoping to use it within the next couple of years.  I would use it next fall, but we will be doing Ancient History and want to use 30 Masterpieces of the Ancient World instead, which will tie in beautifully with our history studies.

Other titles available on GCP which may interest your DD are:

You can view the lecture titles of the individual courses by accessing the links I've included to give you an idea of what each course covers.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses.   :thumbup1:

Trying to decide where to put our focus.  Is there a way to tell if any are on the streaming version of GC?  I'm debating whether to buy a couple outright on DVD or try out the monthly subscription and stream them.  

All of the courses I mentioned are available on Great Courses Plus. I purchased a subscription last May and it's the best thing I've ever bought for our homeschool.  I just got my renewal notice and, thankfully, the yearly subscription price of $180 is still the same.  I consider that a bargain when I look at the price of purchasing the DVDs of just one regular course, considering we've used about 5 this year alone and will probably be using much more next year.  This is the only subscription I have.

• Like 1

All of the courses I mentioned are available on Great Courses Plus. I purchased a subscription last May and it's the best thing I've ever bought for our homeschool. I just got my renewal notice and, thankfully, the yearly subscription price of $180 is still the same. I consider that a bargain when I look at the price of purchasing the DVDs of just one regular course, considering we've used about 5 this year alone and will probably be using much more next year. This is the only subscription I have.

It's unlimited, yes?

OP, we are pairing art history with a civilization course with some travels. So I suspects we will watch select lectures from multiple courses vs finishing one. So this subscription sounds really good.

• Like 1

All of the courses I mentioned are available on Great Courses Plus. I purchased a subscription last May and it's the best thing I've ever bought for our homeschool.  I just got my renewal notice and, thankfully, the yearly subscription price of $180 is still the same.  I consider that a bargain when I look at the price of purchasing the DVDs of just one regular course, considering we've used about 5 this year alone and will probably be using much more next year.  This is the only subscription I have.

This is totally off-topic, but I think you've mentioned before that you used Joy of Science with great success for your 8th grade daughter (unless I'm thinking of someone else...). Can you give me a little more info about how you did that? I can see that being a great fit for my DD as an 8th grader. TIA

• Like 1

It's unlimited, yes?

Yes, it's unlimited.  Since it is new, not all of the courses are available yet. It's a work in progress. Unfortunately, Vandiver's courses aren't available, however, they are constantly updating and adding courses all the time.  In fact, under their Plans page, below the chart, they state that new courses are added every month. Their newest courses are available for the most part.

• Like 1

Yes, it's unlimited. Since it is new, not all of the courses are available yet. It's a work in progress. Unfortunately, Vandiver's courses aren't available, however, they are constantly updating and adding courses all the time. In fact, under their Plans page, below the chart, they state that new courses are added every month. Their newest courses are available for the most part.

Thank you! I have most her stuff on audio anyway â¤ï¸
  • Like 1

This is totally off-topic, but I think you've mentioned before that you used Joy of Science with great success for your 8th grade daughter (unless I'm thinking of someone else...). Can you give me a little more info about how you did that? I can see that being a great fit for my DD as an 8th grader. TIA

Look for the PM I just sent you.  :)