Menu

Let's talk FUD

bibiche

Red River Gorge in KY. I don't know where we are climbing yet. Need to find areas that have 5.7 - 5.9 for the adults and 5.12s and up for the kids.

There will be plenty of trees, but not much privacy. Have a slice of pizza at Miguel's and wash it down with an Ale 8.

That's the plan. Dd has been here several times, but this is the first time for me. (We nearly have a case of Ale 8 empty bottles here.)

I'm not a climber but I hike in that area regularly. I hope you enjoy the trip, it's gorgeous!
  • Like 1

Back in the day...FUD was a sales tactic--"Use FUD."

Fear, uncertainty and doubt.

So I finally looked up the meaning in this thread and maybe it is still not inappropriate.

Haha

I'm glad you found one, OP. I have the Go Girl. It has a learning curve (all FUDs do, really). I suggest you practice in the shower a couple of times then graduate to the toilet before trying it outside. The trick is to not wait until you have an overfull bladder. Frequent urination helps eliminate back splash which is the cause of wet undies and/or pants. It will take a couple of tries before you'll be able to find the most comfortable position. 

I keep a pea bag attached to the outside of my backpack. It's a bright orange rubber wide mesh bag with a clip on it. I keep the Go Girl, a mini pack of wipes,a mini  hand sanitizer, and a pea rag (a brightly colored handkerchief) inside. The mesh allows the Go Girl to air out between uses and decreases the urine smell.. It also helps the pea rag dry if I have used it. It's a cinch to wash it with hot soapy water when I get back home.

I've never seen a snake while peeing but I have been surprised a couple of times by roaming dogs. It's one of the reasons I am an advocate of leash laws on the trail. There's nothing worse than trying to potty and having someone's dog run up to you sniffing the ground. Well, I guess having the owner right behind the dog would be worse...

For #2, I've winter camped in the Boundary Waters and became quite proficient at going in a grocery bag. I had a nice little collection at the end of the trip. Thank goodness it was winter (-10-20 degrees) and the contents froze immediately.

If you haven't looked up the Leave No Trace guidelines for 'going' outdoors, here are some of the basics;

1- never pee on trees or near water sources. Try to pee on rocks or dead vegetation.

2- Do not bury toilet paper. It always makes it way back to the top.

3- Dig a cathole about 6 inches deep and 3 inches wide for your poop. If you miss the hole just push it in with a twig. Use the twig to mush it around; it helps with decomposition. Push the dirt back in the hole and cover the area with leaves and such. 

https://lnt.org/blog/critical-issues-how-poop-woods

• Like 2

Oh yeah, for the disposal of toilet paper, wipes, panty liners, pads, etc I use a good quality freezer bag wrapped in a pretty patterned duct tape. I have quart sizes for short trips and gallon sizes for longer trips. The key is to use a good, thick zipper style bag. The duct tape keeps the outside pretty, provides a bit more support, and it keeps the ick out-of-sight.  At the end of the trip, I just toss it into a trash can and all is well with the world.

http://www.backpacker.com/skills/4-ways-to-make-packing-out-tp-less-gross

Edited by Scoutermom
  • Like 1

Oh yeah, for the disposal of toilet paper, wipes, panty liners, pades, etc I use a good quality freezer bag wrapped in a pretty patterned duct tape. I have quart sizes for short trips and gallon sizes for longer trips. The key is to use a good, thick zipper style bag. The duct tape keeps the outside pretty, provides a bit more support, and it keeps the ick out-of-sight.  At the end of the trip, I just toss it into a trash can and all is well with the world.

http://www.backpacker.com/skills/4-ways-to-make-packing-out-tp-less-gross

That's a good article and I appreciate the point made by the doctor--eating well and drinking enough will make stool less, well, messy.