Menu

What's with the ads?

creekland

Current movie thread

The good bits of the movie, incidentally, were the parts Winston Churchill had already written for them 75 years ago!  I can see where the aristocratic nature could put people off, but his mind and especially his oratory were, to me, exceptional enough and in tune with the times enough that I didn't need to see him doing things Winston Churchill would not have done and did not do in order to be interested in him.

But I could go on about Churchill, and that is another thread.  

I will say that the kids saw the new Jumanji recently and liked it okay; I got the old one for them and they thought it was great.   I don't remember liking it a bunch as a kid - I was easily frightened, I think - but they loved it.

I would like to talk DH into watching Dunkirk but he's uninterested as he says he already knows what happens.

Which I guess is true, but doesn't bother me about movies.

• Like 1

watched Dunkirk (without DH, who refused)

DH was correct.  I think this review sums it up nicely: https://warisboring.com/dunkirk-is-a-booming-bloodless-bore/

how you could take something as exciting and relevant and emotionally stirring as Dunkirk and make a boring movie out of it is beyond my understanding, but Nolan managed it somehow.  Again, the only particularly compelling writing was written by Churchill 75 years ago. 

• Like 2

watched Dunkirk (without DH, who refused)

DH was correct. I think this review sums it up nicely: https://warisboring.com/dunkirk-is-a-booming-bloodless-bore/

how you could take something as exciting and relevant and emotionally stirring as Dunkirk and make a boring movie out of it is beyond my understanding, but Nolan managed it somehow. Again, the only particularly compelling writing was written by Churchill 75 years ago.

Yup. I watched it (with earplugs) and my curiousity about the movie was satisfied, and I enjoyed it when I watched it but when a friend said, “I haven’t seen it yet, would you like to go with me?†it was a resounding no. It was too boring to see twice. Once, sure. Twice, nuh-uh.

Dd and I just watched Dunkirk this afternoon, and loved it, lol.    Loved the score, loved the cinematography, loved the relative lack of dialogue, loved the acting, loved the understated directing, loved the lack of "stars".  Afterwards she was saying she wants to find another movie like it to watch -- visually pleasing, decent score (she's very picky about music in movies), good acting, not slamming her over the head with explication.

"Okay, the reason they were bored with it is because they've been conditioned to be over-stimulated by screenwriting today." -- dd, who just walked by and is now giving a five minute spontaneous speech about how most  people in the original event probably felt both bored and terrified standing on the beach (or riding in a boat), and Nolan managed to engender empathy for those characters, etc., etc. 

Aaaand, there she goes, heading out the door to play rehearsal, still talking about Nolan's process, and the brilliance she saw in it, not even saying goodbye  to me .... Well, okay, then, she has lots of thoughts on the matter!  

As for me, it seemed to push the same buttons that wordless books do, where you connect to a story without using words.  I also like watching well-choreographed dance performances in which I can connect on a level deeper than words, assigning my own meaning to the music and motion.  I wonder if that made a difference in how much I liked this movie.  Hmmm....

• Like 6

Possibly that is part of it; I'm very verbal.  I find wordless books quite irritating and poorly written books even more irritating.

I imagine the soldiers did feel bored and terrified; the movie gave me no sense of terror, though.  I thought it was quite a sanitized version of war - no one you care about dies (in fact you don't care about anyone), little if any blood, etc.  There was very little sense of scale - maybe a tiny bit when Branaugh sees the civilian ships all coming into shore, but mostly completely devoid of the scale of the thing (which is part of what was so impressive about the actual event!).

I don't know what kind of good acting she's talking about, honestly - they were fine, but you couldn't connect with much of anyone and no one went through any serious character change or anything.  

The score was good. 

I saw Black Panther with ds a few nights ago.

It was ok, I liked it better than I usually like Marvel.  I enjoyed the themes around taking responsibility and creating problems.  I thought the acting was also better than in many Marvel movies.  I also felt like it had a bit more direction or arc, as opposed to two hours of the same thing.  The design was lovely.

The things I didn't like were ones I typically don't like in Marvel.  It was beautiful in some ways but the CGI was overwhelming, and made some of the landscapes look very fake.  I noticed it especially when they were looking out the window of the lab to the underground land-scape, it looked like a video game or like it was meant to be a model.  

I also don't like the way they edit their fight scenes, it's so choppy I feel like I can't appreciate the choreography and skill.  I have wondered if this is because they need to hide the stunt doubles a lot as actors generally can't do their own stunts at that level.

In terms of plotting, as a few people mentioned it seemed a bit choppy - particularly the change of villain part way through, it seemed like someone they had built up came to nothing after all.  Why was it so hard to catch him before?  Do they really send the king for that kind of thing?  There were a number of plot holes too.

I saw I Can Only Imagine.

I know and like the song and the band MercyMe. I didn't know the background of the song nor how a certain star treated this song and its author. 

Anyone seen A Wrinkle in Time? 

The Guardian had a review about a week ago.  I can't say it made me inclined to go.

I Can Only Imagine

This is a Christian movie, and I went reluctantly with church people expecting it to be over-the-top religious, shallow and preachy. 

It wasn’t, though.  I was surprised at how much I liked it and that it had much more depth than I thought it would. 

The characters were un-self-consciously Christian, so you might see them reading a bible or going to church, but it wasn’t in your face.  They were just being themselves without it being a big deal.

One character starts off not being Christian and does convert to the faith later in the movie, but it’s not like it was some sort of annoying plot point to try to show off “look how great things are when you’re a Christian! Don’t you wish you were, too!† It’s not like the character goes from being a rat to being the next Billy Graham.  The character said they’d (using the "they" pronoun so I don't give away if it was a man or woman) been listening to sermons on the radio and started to believe them. The character tries to read the bible, but mostly doesn’t understand it. It feels very natural and true-to-life.  Anyone embarking on a new religion would be wobbly at first and trying to understand what it all means.

God as a supernatural power causing supernatural things to happen does not happen in this movie except once.  A character had kept journals their whole life, and later they go back and read through them and see a certain phrase they’ve written over and over.  They say, “Ok, God,†implying that maybe God inspired them to write that phrase, and that the phrase is meant for them to take action now.  That was the only “supernatural†happening in the movie that I can think of.

It reminded me to some degree of each of these movies I’ve seen in the past year and a half:

Sully

Collateral Beauty

The Space Between Us

The Glass Castle

Forever My Girl

A mixture of a light romance, a difficult life story, and a feel-good ending.  Some of the above movies were really good and some weren’t.  I’d put I Can Only Imagine right in the middle of those.

Plot:

This is based on a true story, so it’s a biography about a man who wrote the song “I Can Only Imagine.† That song came out in the late 90’s and has been a huge (huge, huge) hit in both the Christian world and in the secular word a bit as well.  People just loooove that song.  

The song writer was born into a home with a very abusive father.  They do not show much of the abuse with the young actor.  There is a bit of a wrestling match between the father and son, and they mention severe beatings, but don’t show them.  I don’t like watching movies where children are getting hit.  It bothered me even in The Greatest Showman where young P.T. Barnum gets slapped as a child, so I’m glad they didn’t show much. When the adult actor takes over, there are times where he is hit by the father.

The son tries to be a big football star like his dad, but in the end turns to singing.  He joins a band as a singer and the movie becomes much like other movies where a band is trying to make it big and find a label.  However, throughout all the band stuff (no drugs or groupies, just playing in different venues and trying to be heard by a label), the main character keeps dealing with the issues from his childhood—the anger and hatred he has toward his dad and how he can’t let people get close to him. 

I won’t give any more away, but it’ll be obvious that eventually he uses all the negativity from his past and pours it into writing the hit song that has been around since the 90s and the movie shows everyone’s reactions as they hear it and it ties up with what becomes of the band after the song is released.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2

I also saw  I Can Only Imagine and enjoyed it.

I agree with you, Garga!

I'm a Christian, but I often feel skeptical about religious films, because a preachy message can overtake the general quality of the film. I mentioned to DH that I was not certain that I would love the movie, but I was going anyway.

And then when it was over, I texted to him, "You should see this movie!"

There are references to God and belief and the Christian music scene, but much of the character's trials as a musician would be relateable to anyone who is trying to make a living as a musician or artist or just a young person struggling on any career path. As well as anyone who has had trials (who hasn't?) that have caused hurt and bitterness. And anyone who has struggled with relationships within family and with friends. It seemed more of a background character study to me than an overtly Christian movie. I'm not sure they actually mention the name of Jesus? But religion is definitely an underlying thread throughout.

I think it could appeal to anyone, not just a Christian audience. And it is fine for anyone 12 and up. I only say 12, because there are references to abuse, and the family dynamics are complex.

• Like 2

Anyone seen A Wrinkle in Time? 

My dd and I saw A Wrinkle in Time. Neither of us liked it. It felt like a new age space movie. It's been a long time since I've read the book, but the movie missed a lot of the details that made the book special.

The theater had maybe 20 people in it and the woman behind us carried on a phone conversation through most of the second half of the movie. Her conversation was less interesting than the movie. :/

I saw Unsane last week.

For whatever reason, it was filmed entirely on an iphone.  I get super creeped out by movies about people going through mental illness where they start hallucinating horrible things.  Like, Black Swan freaked me out.  How she’d see herself peeling off her skin...but then it wasn’t real?  Her skin was fine?  

I wasn’t sure if this movie would be like that and I was prepared to walk out if it scared me too much, but it wasn’t like that. It was more like a movie about a creepy stalker that won’t leave you alone and no one will believe you about the stalker.  

It wasn’t super suspenseful to me.  It’s rated R for language and some violence.  Not Tarentino violence, but it’s there.  I would say that if you’re like me and like going to the movies a lot and have movie pass, then see it in the theater.  But if you save movie going for special movies or they cost you a lot of money, then wait for it to come out on video.

Tonight I’m going to see The Greatest Showman for the 5th time, because it’s a sing-a-long!  :). It sounds like so much fun to be in a theater with a bunch of people belting out, warbling, squeaking, and angelically singing along to the songs.  I’ll be in the warbling/squeaking  category.  Most of the songs hit notes waaay too high for me, but I’ll give it my best shot.  

• Like 2

We went and saw Peter Rabbit last week during the WTMBlackout.

Such a sweet movie.  Really.  It was genuinely funny and I couldn't decide who I was really rooting for the whole time.  We all enjoyed it.  Domhnall Gleason was a perfect McGregor with his over-the-top melodrama.     I definitely think this is one that all ages can appreciate. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Angie in VA said:

I've seen The Apostle Paul, God's Not Dead 3A Wrinkle in Time and something else I can't recall. 

What did you think of The Apostle Paul?

10 hours ago, Garga said:

What did you think of The Apostle Paul?

I thought, "I have no idea what faith is!" 

I liked it and really liked the actor who portrayed Paul. Also Jim Caviezel does little wrong for me. ;) 

I’m late but watched Call me by Your Name in a long flight and I loved it like I don’t remember loving any movies in recent past. I think i’ll watch it on the trip home too ?

i dropped DS off at a mall here in Indonesia to watch Ready Player One and so far all I heard is that it deviates a lot from the book and has multiple references to his favorite videogames. 

I saw Ready Player One last night and was ultimately disappointed. I knew they changed the movie away from the book, but I hoped the changes weren't that crazy since the book author was a co-writer of the movie script. I felt that the changes they made really took away from the good parts of the story. The puzzle nature was a big part of the book and such a small (easily missed) part of the movie. The changes in what different characters did rubbed me the wrong way. Obviously, they geared it toward "more action" and less cerebral work, but they took away some of the key action parts and character development. Just . . . disappointed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RootAnn said:

I saw Ready Player One last night and was ultimately disappointed. I knew they changed the movie away from the book, but I hoped the changes weren't that crazy since the book author was a co-writer of the movie script. I felt that the changes they made really took away from the good parts of the story. The puzzle nature was a big part of the book and such a small (easily missed) part of the movie. The changes in what different characters did rubbed me the wrong way. Obviously, they geared it toward "more action" and less cerebral work, but they took away some of the key action parts and character development. Just . . . disappointed.

I totally agree. We just got home from the theater and I came to see if anyone had posted about it. 

It probably didn’t help that I just finished the book two days ago, but golly, if the characters didn’t have the same names it would be hard to tell that it was based on the book. 

• Like 2

Gonna chime in about A Wrinkle In Time.

My kids begged to see it against my better judgment.  I expected it to be terrible, based on everything I had heard.  It turned out to be not so bad ... no worse than most kid movies.  (I'm not a kid movie fan.)  My kids generally liked it, though they didn't like some aspects that were too different from the book.  My adult friend liked it.

So if you love movies and go to them a lot, Wrinkle might not be an absolute "no."

Also recently saw Black Panther and Peter Rabbit.  Both were fun.  I didn't think Black Panther was as good as they hyped it up to be, but it was better than many along the superhero lines.  Peter Rabbit was funny and about as enjoyable as any kid movie.  :P

10 hours ago, RootAnn said:

DS15 is super bummed to hear this. He was so looking forward to it, and someone in one of his classes told him it was really great. But when I told him they downplayed the puzzles, he was bummed. He said it was the best part of the book.

We saw Chappaquiddick last night. I have a fear of bridges, so I'm not sure why I chose it. Interesting to see Ed Helms in a dramatic role. He was good in it. 

Tonight we saw A Quiet Place. I'm not big on that genre, but it was good. Odd and some things didn't make sense, but John Krasinski does no wrong for me. Ever. And I loved the boy in it who was the main character's friend in Wonder. The girl was good too. I say we saw it tonight, but really it was late afternoon. I can't see something that will scare me late at night and certainly not on the big screen at night. 

If we see another movie this weekend (we're in the free zone w/ our Movie Passes) it will probably be The Miracle Season.

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Like 1

My son saw A Quiet Place and gave it 5 stars--he never does that!!

He said it was the most suspenseful movie he's ever seen, and that is a sure bet for an Oscar win for sound. (Ironically--lol)

Makes me want to see it. 

• Like 2

I took the 15 yo to see Tomb Raider. It was a good action movie. The characters did some pretty stupid things but it was a movie.

DH & I saw A Quiet Place. I was thrilled to have a not rated R scary movie. Within the first 5 minutes my DH turned to me & said that our family would have died right away because our kids are so loud. LOL!

I got together with a couple of friends and rented The Book of Henry. It was good but the trailer is deceiving.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Last night, we rented I Kill Giants for family movie night. I definitely wouldn't recommend it for younger children, but I absolutely loved it for my family. For reference, my kids are 15, 13, and almost 12. It's...I can't describe it. It's the first time in a long time I've not figured out the ending, mostly because we went into it on the knowledge that it was produced by the same folks who did Harry Potter. LOL For maximum enjoyment, I'd avoid spoilers, personally.

Ooooh, the NYTimes has a great review that doesn't give away too much. 

Also, I put it here in the "current" thread because apparently it's in theaters and available for rent simultaneously.

My friend who goes with me to the movies every Tuesday night didn't want to see A Quiet Place, so I went with my ds15 today.  (My friend has small children and can't stand watching movies where small children are in any kind of danger. I was that way, too, when my kids were still small.)

It was a lot of fun.  My son said it reminded him of Cloverfield--the same level of suspense and "horror".  So, if you liked Cloverfield and didn't find it too scary, then you'll like A Quiet Place and not find it too scary.  It's listed as horror because it's a suspenseful monster movie, but not slasher-horror or super creepy spirit/demon possession.  Monster movies are ok for me.

It was suspenseful throughout and was just fun to watch.  This is the sort of movie that I would say it's worth seeing in the theater and not waiting for it to come out on video.  I think it needs to be seen on a big screen in a quiet theater full of people.  My son was literally on the edge of his seat for parts of the movie.  He claims it's because his back was getting sweaty and I was like, "Mmhm. Yeah, right."  I think it was a little mixture of both for him: sweaty back, suspenseful movie.

The movie is very quiet with very little spoken dialog.  Most of the time, the characters sign to each other with subtitles.  So, don't bring crunchy snacks and open the packaging on your candy before the movies starts, or everyone will hear all your rustling and chomping.

• Like 3

I have to say that I clapped eyes on a single poster for A Wrinkle in Time and could sense that I wouldn't like the movie.  The costumes were too showy and not at all how I pictured the characters dressing.  From what everyone's said, I think it's probably a good kid movie--key word being "kid".  I think a lot of adults thought it would be a kid/adult movie...but it's just for kids.  And so the adults, not being the targeted audience, just aren't enjoying it.  Which is a big shame.  And it confirms my first impression of it from seeing that first poster--it's a kid movie.  I'm bored with kid movies now that I've had kids of my own and had to sit through so many of them.

And I'm suspicious of Ready Player One.  When my friends giddily told me, "It has all sorts of references to games from the 80s and stuff!" then I felt it would probably be cheesy and rely on sentiment rather than good storytelling.  I'm sort of getting that sense from the reviews--the book was good, but the movie isn't relying on good storytelling.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Garga said:

My friend who goes with me to the movies every Tuesday night didn't want to see A Quiet Place, so I went with my ds15 today.  (My friend has small children and can't stand watching movies where small children are in any kind of danger. I was that way, too, when my kids were still small.)

It was a lot of fun.  My son said it reminded him of Cloverfield--the same level of suspense and "horror".  So, if you liked Cloverfield and didn't find it too scary, then you'll like A Quiet Place and not find it too scary.  It's listed as horror because it's a suspenseful monster movie, but not slasher-horror or super creepy spirit/demon possession.  Monster movies are ok for me.

It was suspenseful throughout and was just fun to watch.  This is the sort of movie that I would say it's worth seeing in the theater and not waiting for it to come out on video.  I think it needs to be seen on a big screen in a quiet theater full of people.  My son was literally on the edge of his seat for parts of the movie.  He claims it's because his back was getting sweaty and I was like, "Mmhm. Yeah, right."  I think it was a little mixture of both for him: sweaty back, suspenseful movie.

The movie is very quiet with very little spoken dialog.  Most of the time, the characters sign to each other with subtitles.  So, don't bring crunchy snacks and open the packaging on your candy before the movies starts, or everyone will hear all your rustling and chomping.

I saw  A Quiet Place today and someone brought a newborn baby!! Who in the  world bring a baby to a movie, much less a movie that is about being quiet!  Silly. But the baby wasn't too disruptive and anyway... ahhh  can't say more  without spoilers.    But -- my theater was sold out, and the showing before me sold out too, so I think a lot of people will see it.

It's funny you mentioned Cloverfield, because this movie was almost a Cloverfield movie.  It could have been, but the Cloverfield chose to do that John Goodman one instead (which is, IMO, an even better movie - but this one was fun too). 

Saw Ready Player One last Tuesday.  I didn't say anything when it was done, and the person I go to the movies with said, "That was a cute movie.  I liked seeing all those references to the 80s and stuff."

But I personally didn't like it.  I thought all the references to the 80s were just goofy.  I don't know why everyone in the year 2045 would have any interest in the 1980s.  The characters were about 16 years old, and the 1980s would have been 55-65 years in their past.  When I was 16 years old, 55-65 years in my past was 1924-1934 .  I can't imagine my friends and I in 1989 learning all sorts of stuff about the twenties/thirties and thinking it was cool.  So, the movie was just a total goof-fest for me.

I mean, yes, I get it that the creator of the game was a man who loved the 1980s, and the movie was all about figuring out this man's thoughts to solve the little riddle that he'd created.  So people had to learn about the pop culture of the 80s to solve the game maker's riddles, but...I wasn't convinced.  I couldn't get past the feeling that the movie was made just so that we would sit in our chairs, see a Lost In Space robot toy and go, "Oooo! A Lost in Space robot toy!"  (Which wasn't even 80s, I know.)

Basically, at the end my eyes were hurting a little bit from rolling them so much through the movie every time the characters did things like argue over the name of the high school in Ferris Bueller's Day Off. 

The plot was so-so.  A cheesy plot about a bunch of teenagers trying to solve a riddle before a rich CEO, with all the resources of his entire company, solves it.  And the CEO didn't even get all the 80s references!  Gasp!  Which was how we knew just how bad he was.  The characters started off as avatars in the game and were worried that if they met in real life they'd all think each other was ugly or something.  But of course, they were all perfectly good looking people in real life, so there were no nasty surprises.  Instead of one of the avatars being some 40 year old man in his basement, they were all nice looking teenagers.  

Some people compare this movie to something like Goonies.  Just be aware that I hated Goonies.  Watched it when it came out and I was a kid and hated it.  Tried watching it again in my 30s to see why everyone else loves it...and I still hated it.  So, if you love Goonies, you might just love this movie too.  Dunno.

• Like 1

I unexpectedly went to see Wrinkle in Time on Friday.  All the bad reviews were right.

As many people noted, all the interesting ideas were ripped out and replaced with Oprah/Paltrow type new age cliches.  And the CGI was really over the top.  The Oprah character in particular, who was often a different size, wasn't well integrated and seemed clearly to be acting in a studio alone.

Some comment has been made about the multi-cultural element and time and place changes, essentially making a white rural New England family into a modern, ethnically mixed, urban family.  I think making it modern makes sense, and similarly I think the urbanization might appeal to more kids.  I don't think changing the ethnic make-up of the family is a problem.  I do wonder about two things - I'm not sure if it's so important to make the family so much like most kids so that they can "identify".  I think readers made a connection with the Murray family even if most weren't from big rural families with scientist parents.  In fact, in some ways the family being a little different, in a very warm way, was part of the appeal.  I didn't get that same warm feeling from this family - whether the setting was part of that I don't know.

Along those lines, I didn't really like the change to make Charles Wallace adopted - it seemed only so the family could be even more ethnically mixed.  There was something about that which seemed a bit - I don't know, like it misses the point?

Anyway, the other thing that struck we was how bad a lot of the dialogue was, and some of the show too seemed very off - I had vertigo a few times which hasn't really happened in 3-D movies to me in the past, and there were close-ups which seemed very odd, like they were too long.  Over-all, something just seemed off if the way it was put together.

I saw it with my mom, sister, and kids.  All the kids liked it.  Dd13 has read the book.  Dd10 and ds8 have not, but don't really have a high bar.  My mom and sister both disliked it, but also, neither had read it and they found it hard to follow, the plot didn't make much sense.

Saw A Quiet Place. Oh my goodness. A.MAY.ZING.

Excellent filmmaking. Look at the framing! The lines! Ah it is beautiful.The silence is like a character.

It is well acted and so good!

• Like 3

I saw A Quiet Place and loved it. Great movie and I agree with Garga - go see it while it is in the theaters - the silence in the movie will be more meaningful. 

Also saw Ready Player One and it was ok. I had listened to the audiobook and loved it. Will Wheaton narrates and does such a fantastic job and made it super enjoyable. The movie changed a lot of things and it just felt flat and uninteresting. 

• Like 2

Any MoviePass users having trouble? Last weekend we updated the app b/c they now require a photo of your ticket stub. Well, after updating the app, they no longer recognize our accounts. That was last Saturday. 

I saw another update on their app this morning, and updated. Still not recognized. 

Anyone else having issues? There is at least one movie I'd like to see this weekend. 

Dh and I just saw "A Quiet Place" and wow!  It was really good!!   Very suspenseful.   It was the first movie we've seen at the theater in forever.  I'd rather watch movies at home but it was a really good one to see there.  

• Like 2

On 4/20/2018 at 12:39 PM, Angie in VA said:

Any MoviePass users having trouble? Last weekend we updated the app b/c they now require a photo of your ticket stub. Well, after updating the app, they no longer recognize our accounts. That was last Saturday. 

I saw another update on their app this morning, and updated. Still not recognized. 

Anyone else having issues? There is at least one movie I'd like to see this weekend. 

I can't get Fandango to work either.  I'm trying to buy Infinity War tickets for Friday morning and it's giving me an error message every time.  For any movie, not just Avengers.   Not a good week to get movie tickets, I guess.

Saw Tomb Raider last week.  It was like every other action movie you’ve ever seen.  Mediocre.  

Saw Rampage last week.  It was just like Tomb Raider.  Which means it was like every other action movie out there.  :). 

Well, it wasn’t like T2, because that’s one of the Best Action Movies ever.  It was like a regular ol’ action movie.  Dime a dozen.  Fun while you’re watching and the popcorn is always good.

• Like 1

We saw SOLO last night.

?

It was very fun and very well done.  I loved how they pulled tiny tidbits and foreshadowing in for future events that we already know about. 

I had managed to avoid any spoilers and was treated to a few unexpected surprises that totally made me excited in a fangirl way.   It definitely ended in a way that proposed a spin off sequel/series of sorts.  And not the original Star Wars trilogy- you'll see what I mean when you see it.  ?

Action packed and LOTS of motion sequences.  We sat in the very front row because by the time we got to buying tickets, the only ones left where we had 7 seats in a row were in the front.  We usually don't sit so close, but this was really the only time we could all go together, we thought we'd give it a shot.  My DS and I had some motion sickness trouble with the movie because there was a lot of flying/chase action going on.  

The cast was great.  Wow, I thought Donald Glover's Lando was spot on!  I thought he was the best in the cast.  Honestly, I'm still not totally sold on Alden Ehrenreich as Han Solo.  But, I have to confess that I kept thinking about OLD Han Solo and I feel like maybe if I go back and watch the original Star Wars with a young Han Solo, I'll feel better about how this young guy did playing him- I just thought he was missing some of those tiny nuances or gestures that are part of who Han Solo is.   Woody Harrelson was a fantastic addition to the Galaxy Far Far Away.

I'm going to see it again Monday morning, and I expect I'll see it again within the next week or so with DH and the kids.  DS will want a second viewing that is not so close to the screen, and DH didn't go with us, so we'll need to take him. 

Family friendly at the Star Wars level for sure.  Lighthearted fun.  It takes some jabs at more serious subjects, but in a fun or funny way.  Quite a few laughs for the whole family- we took my 8 year old nephew and he absolutely loved it.  I think there were two instances of very mild swearing, and then the usual Star Wars violence/beloved characters in peril. 

• Like 3

I can't wait to see Solo!! Yet I have to wait, because we are busy running from one thing to the next. I'm hoping we can see it at some point over the weekend. I'm glad you thought it was good -- now I want to see it even more!!

I thought Solo was even better the second time.   ?  It really is a fantastically fun movie with the feel of the classic Star Wars movies.

Now that I've seen it again, I'm realizing that there are quite a few tie-ins to the animated series The Clone Wars and Rebels.  I think while we're waiting a whole year for the next SW movie to come out, we'll make our way through those and be caught up on our Star Wars lore.

• Like 1

We saw Solo yesterday too.  It was pretty good as sci fi movies go.  ?  I thought there was too much sucking face and the story line was confusing at times, but like I said, pretty good.  (I'm picky though.)

I woke up this morning and was trying to remember who was still a "good guy" at the end, and I was not 100% sure ....

I would add that although it is rated PG-13, my 11yos saw it and I didn't think there was anything age-inappropriate for them.

• Like 1

I saw Solo and enjoyed it.   It  feels more like a heist-style movie than a Star Wars movie to me at times.  My favorites were Woody Harrelson and Donald Glover. And the droid whose name I forget, but, you know who I mean.  I somehow didn't recognize Emilia Clark, even though her voice is so distinctive... she was just fine too.  No bad performances really. 

Word is that the box office for it is well below expectations.  I get that there have been so  many Star Wars movies that it doesn't feel special anymore, but,  I thought it was more flat-out fun than Rogue One or episodes 6 & 7.  So I hope it has some legs.

I went with some girl friends to see Book Club last week and laughed all through the movie (along with everyone else in the theater). There were only two men there and we joked that they were probably dragged along. I loved that the four leads were all women over fifty. Older men in Hollywood become the elder statesmen of the acting profession. Women OTOH, see roles for them dry up or they only get offered supporting roles. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, poppy said:

I saw Solo and enjoyed it.   It  feels more like a heist-style movie than a Star Wars movie to me at times.  My favorites were Woody Harrelson and Donald Glover. And the droid whose name I forget, but, you know who I mean.  I somehow didn't recognize Emilia Clark, even though her voice is so distinctive... she was just fine too.  No bad performances really. 

Word is that the box office for it is well below expectations.  I get that there have been so  many Star Wars movies that it doesn't feel special anymore, but,  I thought it was more flat-out fun than Rogue One or episodes 6 & 7.  So I hope it has some legs.

There's an entire legion of Star Wars fans who have decided they dislike the direction Disney has headed and so have decided to... Not be fans, I guess? I don't get it, but there's a big push to boycott, which is silly imho.   Their loss, because it IS a fun movie.

I think it also doesn't help that in the last several weeks Infinity War and Deadpool 2 have both come out, combined with the holiday weekend... I just think the timing was a poor move on Disney's part. Hopefully it will pick up traction as we head into summer and people start increasing their movie viewing.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lady Marmalade said:

I think it also doesn't help that in the last several weeks Infinity War and Deadpool 2 have both come out, combined with the holiday weekend... I just think the timing was a poor move on Disney's part. Hopefully it will pick up traction as we head into summer and people start increasing their movie viewing.  

I've seen speculation that it's a combination of Star Wars burnout with the movies coming out too close together, and some of these other movies also premiering around the same time. 

35 minutes ago, Lady Marmalade said:

There's an entire legion of Star Wars fans who have decided they dislike the direction Disney has headed and so have decided to... Not be fans, I guess? I don't get it, but there's a big push to boycott, which is silly imho.   Their loss, because it IS a fun movie.

I think the people who thought the Last Jedi was lame will be back for Episode 9. (I'm one of them... though not as angry as some!)

It was released late because they switched directors and had to reshoot a lot, which, whatever. I don't care about behind the scenes stuff,  But yeah, the timing was not great. Also it has a distinct lack of Harrison Ford.  The young actor who replaced him is fine, the whole movie is fine, but it doesn't have that whatever that makes some movies very special.  This isn't a very special movie. It's just a well made, fun movie.

1 hour ago, Lady Florida. said:

I went with some girl friends to see Book Club last week and laughed all through the movie (along with everyone else in the theater). There were only two men there and we joked that they were probably dragged along. I loved that the four leads were all women over fifty. Older men in Hollywood become the elder statesmen of the acting profession. Women OTOH, see roles for them dry up or they only get offered supporting roles. 

I saw it last week and thought it was fantastic!   I laughed harder than I have in a long time.  There were only 2 men there when I saw it too.  I love the main four actresses and have for a long time, all of their performances in Bookclub were outstanding. 

• Like 2