Menu

Current movie thread

creekland

:lol: I don't think I've seen the whole movie. But the parts of Grease that I've seen, I don't like. I've also never seen Titanic.  :leaving:  

My 15 yo wants to see Greatest Showman. Just trying to figure a time in around her schedule.

Spoiler alert: the boat sank. 

Oh! I think I'm so funny! 

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Like 10

I loved Paddington 2!

I just saw 12 Strong today (stole a little me-time while my kids were in school). I would have chosen Darkest Hour or Lady Bird if they had been showing at the correct time for my schedule, so it wasn't really my first choice. However, it was gripping and inspiring and included themes about loyalty and what is worth fighting for. If you can handle intense war scenes -- mostly people being shot from a distance -- and a few swear words (not as many as you might think for a movie with such an emotional and raw topic), I recommend it.

I've seen both. Thank you, MoviePass. I liked both but was surprised by one word in Lady Bird that was also in Three Billboards and I, Tonya. I don't always use the cleanest language, but I do NOT say that word. And when did this word get to be so common in movies that *I* see? 

I saw The Greatest Showman before I got my MP. Since getting my MP I've seen:

I, Tonya

The Post

Darkest Hour

Wonder

Proud Mary

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, MO

Phantom Thread

Lady Bird

DH has seen several with me but saw 12 Strong and Den of Thieves w/o me

Yes, I went crazy (and for a while there daily) and saw some films I wouldn't have paid to see. I'm in the free zone now (seen enough movies that the MP has paid for itself) so now I can see TGS again (and sing along. I hear this is a thing?) and be pickier like I was when I paid full price. 

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Like 2

Dipping my toes in here. What a great thread!

I took ds10 to see Jumanji today. It was really funny in parts! Our theater wasn't crowded, but we are all laughing loudly at several scenes. I had to look away two times for a few seconds but ds was fine. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like 6

I loved Paddington 2!

I just saw 12 Strong today (stole a little me-time while my kids were in school). I would have chosen Darkest Hour or Lady Bird if they had been showing at the correct time for my schedule, so it wasn't really my first choice. However, it was gripping and inspiring and included themes about loyalty and what is worth fighting for. If you can handle intense war scenes -- mostly people being shot from a distance -- and a few swear words (not as many as you might think for a movie with such an emotional and raw topic), I recommend it.

DH and I saw The Commuter this weekend. It was too violent for me. I also thought there was a loose end that never got tied up, but I don't want to post any spoilers. 

I saw Paddington 2, having never seen the first one, and loved it! So many familiar faces from favorite British shows and movies. And Hugh Grant's character!  :lol: Because we have Movie Passes, I'll see it again when I "make" DH see it. 

DH and I are enjoying our Movie Passes. This weekend we reserved our tickets while in the parking lot of the theater. When we got inside we realized the theater's power was out. The MP app has an option to change movies (Sold out? Change your mind?) We easily got out of that and went to another theater and saw a movie. Good to know. 

• Like 3

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, MO

I don't typically go to the movies (frankly, I don't normally watch movies); however, I went with my sister and a friend to see the above. 

Did you like it, Angie?  I found the story to be interesting, but there was too much violence for my taste.

Regards,

Kareni

Saw Darkest Hour. Churchill mumbled through the whole thing (which he did in real life), which made it a bit of a pain to watch.

Frankly, I found it somewhat boring. I’m not sure why it is nominated for so many awards. I aaaalmost decided to doze during parts of it, but stayed awake.

If I didn’t find it so boring, it would be fun to watch 3/4 of Darkest Hour, then all of Dunkirk, and then finish the last 1/4 of Darkest Hour. They both tell the same story (about Dunkirk in WWII), one from the side of the soldiers who were there and the other from the side of the government trying to help the soldiers.

• Like 3

Dipping my toes in here. What a great thread!

I took ds10 to see Jumanji today. It was really funny in parts! Our theater wasn't crowded, but we are all laughing loudly at several scenes. I had to look away two times for a few seconds but ds was fine. Lol

I just went to see it yesterday with my aunt.  We both enjoyed it quite a bit.

• Like 1

"The 15:17 to Paris" is showing now in Cali, Colombia.  My wife has a card for that theater chain, so I think we get a discount.  It will be here thru next Wednesday, so I will ask her which day is the least expensive. I think Tuesday or Wednesday.  The Heroes played themselves in the movie.  I don't go to movies very often, but I would like to see this one. It is in U.S. English...   Also waiting for "12 Strong". 

• Like 1

I don't typically go to the movies (frankly, I don't normally watch movies); however, I went with my sister and a friend to see the above. 

Did you like it, Angie?  I found the story to be interesting, but there was too much violence for my taste.

Regards,

Kareni

I liked it better than Phantom Thread and The Commuter! Again, I can't get over hearing a certain curse word in three movies lately! Yikes!

DH and I also found the story interesting, but yes, too violent. We were both grateful that the movie did *not* show what happened to her dd. 

We will probably see The 15:17 to Paris this weekend. We won't be seeing any 50 Shades movies. I "made" Dh see Paddington 2, which means I've seen it twice.  :lol:  I saw some favorite British actors (dd says, "There are 15 working actors in that tiny country, so you see the same actors in everything.") One was on screen for mere seconds, but I have no less love for him and his performance. Lol. 

• Like 1

Saw Darkest Hour. Churchill mumbled through the whole thing (which he did in real life), which made it a bit of a pain to watch.

Frankly, I found it somewhat boring. I’m not sure why it is nominated for so many awards. I aaaalmost decided to doze during parts of it, but stayed awake.

If I didn’t find it so boring, it would be fun to watch 3/4 of Darkest Hour, then all of Dunkirk, and then finish the last 1/4 of Darkest Hour. They both tell the same story (about Dunkirk in WWII), one from the side of the soldiers who were there and the other from the side of the government trying to help the soldiers.

Ditto. I hated thinking it was boring, but because it is such an important story, but, well, yeah. Love that line about negotiating w/ a tiger. The transformation of Gary Oldman was amazing, which usually means Oscar noms.

Great idea to split watching it w/ Dunkirk in the middle. I didn't get to see that. Maybe Redbox has it. 

Edited by Angie in VA

Ditto. I hated thinking it was boring, but it is such an important story, but, well, yeah. Love that line about negotiating w/ a tiger. The transformation of Gary Oldman was amazing, which usually means Oscar noms.

Great idea to split watching it w/ Dunkirk in the middle. I didn't get to see that. Maybe Redbox has it. 

Do either of you happen to listen to the Pop Culture Happy Hour podcast?

They reviewed Darkest Hour on one of this week's shows, and I was reminded of their discussion when I read your comments in this thread.

https://www.npr.org/sections/monkeysee/2018/02/09/583963660/pop-culture-happy-hour-gary-oldman-jowls-it-up-as-winston-churchill 

I am SO GLAD they didn't show what happened to the daughter in Three Billboards.  Still, it was violent, and the language....

Cannot wait to see 15:17 to Paris. Trying to get dh to go this weekend but he doesn't seem interested. Probably a good idea since the theater will be busy- so much snow this week and people are sick of being home. 

• Like 1

I am going to the movies today and can't decide between Three BillBoard Outside Ebbings or The Shape of Water.  Which should I go see?

That is a toss up. Just be warned about violence and language in 3 Billboards. I haven't seen Shape of Water.

I don't do sci fi (I have a theory about people who like science fiction*), but Octavia Spencer does nothing wrong on film. If I do see Shape of Water, it'll be because of Olivia. 

*They're all smart! I'm not that smart! N. B. My theory isn't that all smart people like sci fi, but that all who do like sci fi are smart!

Do either of you happen to listen to the Pop Culture Happy Hour podcast?

They reviewed Darkest Hour on one of this week's shows, and I was reminded of their discussion when I read your comments in this thread.

https://www.npr.org/sections/monkeysee/2018/02/09/583963660/pop-culture-happy-hour-gary-oldman-jowls-it-up-as-winston-churchill 

No, but I will listen to this one. Thanks for the link. 

Just for reference: Gary Oldman was the spitting actor on Friends. 

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Like 1

The theater chain in our area (Cinemark) has their own version of Movie Pass ... we decided to go with it instead. For $9 a month you get one included movie but you can buy all the other tickets (for companions additional for yourself) at the $9 rate... but you can also just pay the difference if you want to upgrade to 3D or Imax or the moving seats) and you get a discount for concessions. And you can do prepurchase / reserve seating without paying the online fees .. and if you don't use your ticket one month you can rollover to the next. This was a better fit for us - we just bought one but it benefits all of us, instead of buying several movie passes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The theater chain in our area (Cinemark) has their own version of Movie Pass ... we decided to go with it instead. For $9 a month you get one included movie but you can buy all the other tickets (for companions additional for yourself) at the $9 rate... but you can also just pay the difference if you want to upgrade to 3D or Imax or the moving seats) and you get a discount for concessions. And you can do prepurchase / reserve seating without paying the online fees .. and if you don't use your ticket one month you can rollover to the next. This was a better fit for us - we just bought one but it benefits all of us, instead of buying several movie passes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Oh, that is a good deal. Glad you got it. 

What have you seen and what will you see next?

We actually haven't used it yet ;) We bought Black Panther tickets with some gift cards we got for Christmas so I'm not sure what else we will use it for this month but there's a lot of stuff we want to see coming up.

There are a lot of movies I don't see in theaters (I am only willing to spend the time and money for big blockerbuster-y action and scifi types of things -- I feel like it needs to be enhanced by the moviegoing experience... otherwise I can wait for Blu Ray/Streaming most of the time.) The last movie I saw in theater was (I think) CoCo in December after seeing Ep VIII.

Regarding Three Billboards ~

DH and I also found the story interesting, but yes, too violent. We were both grateful that the movie did *not* show what happened to her dd.

I was similarly grateful, Angie.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  I hope you enjoy your upcoming movies.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

elfqueen, How much does a regular movie ticket cost in your area? Cinemark advertised the same deal to me, but it wasn't worth it. I think our regular movie ticket price is $8.50, so paying for one free ticket for $9 does not make sense for us. Plus, I usually go to the early showings, which are only $5.

There must be plenty of markets where the ticket prices are higher, for this deal to be worthwhile. I hope it saves you a lot!

UPDATE: I saw Three Billboards.  It was quite a ride.  It was kinda like reading a stylized novella.... the way things unfolded wasn't really probable. But it did tell some truths about people and small town life.  Very good performances and some truly unexpected small moments that I enjoyed.

The violence, including the small glimpses of evidence about her daughter, seemed appropriately sickening.  The movie really isn't about that crime. It's more about  the domino effects of grief in many different ways.

ps the ticket price was $13.50. I love my MoviePass.

• Like 3

Dh and I saw The 15:17 to Paris last night. One theater has $6 tix on Tuesdays, but at this theater our tix were $8.50. We're both now in the free zone wrt MoviePass, so we don't care. Oh, and we were the only ones in the theater. Love going on a week night even if we are both yawning today.

This will sound biting, but I can't help it. It's slow, poorly written, badly acted by the actual heroes who were there - who are not actors - and it didn't get good (for me) until the actual event that took place on the train. Sure, one of the actual 3 (but there were more heroes than those three) is cute, but I can't understand why Clint Eastwood didn't choose actors for these roles? Or a well written script? I was surprised to see two stars who played small roles as mothers.

It's a great true story of heroism, but I think a 60 min doc could do a better job telling it. 

Edited by Angie in VA

I considered going to a movie yesterday, but 15:17 to Paris was the only thing that fit in to my available time slot, so I skipped it, due to the poor reviews. I'm not above going to a mediocre movie, because just being at the movies is a stress release and time of enjoyment for me (and it is one of the few things that I will spend a little money on for myself). But I'm not sorry I didn't go to that one. I respect what those heroes did, but I have heard that they can't act and that the story line is too thin for a feature film

• Like 2

I have no idea when we'll be able to see Black Panther, maybe next weekend. We were planning on this Sunday but ended up with other obligations. If anyone goes this weekend and could give a spoiler-free heads up on the number of post-credit scenes to stick around for, I'd be grateful! I'm going to have to otherwise stay off the internetz to avoid spoilers until I can see it.

I broke my 70-odd week streak of Tightwad Tuesday movie watching this week. The person I usually go with couldn’t make it and I’d seen everything I was interested in.

I avoided the 3 Billboard movie (not up for the drama, violence, language, racism, etc), read that 15:17 was too slow, I’ve always hated every western I’ve seen, so Hostiles was out, and The Post was at the theater farthest from me and I wasn’t up for the drive. Otherwise I’d seen all the other movies (except 50 shades—totally not interested) or they were kid movies. I’m so done with kid movies.

We stayed home and watched Cloverfield. My youngest hadn’t seen it yet and it’s one of my favorite movies so we all had a blast watching it again.

Instead of going out on Tuesday, somehow or other on Thursday night I finally convinced my dh to see The Greatest Showman which was the first time for him and the fourth time for me. It was just as good the 4th time as the 1st. :)

Edited by Garga
  • Like 3

I broke my 70-odd week streak of Tightwad Tuesday movie watching this week. The person I usually go with couldn’t make it and I’d seen everything I was interested in.

I avoided the 3 Billboard movie (not up for the drama, violence, language, racism, etc), read that 15:17 was too slow, I’ve always hated every western I’ve seen, so Hostiles was out, and The Post was at the theater farthest from me and I wasn’t up for the drive. Otherwise I’d seen all the other movies (except 50 shades—totally not interested) or they were kid movies. I’m so done with kid movies.

We stayed home and watched Cloverfield. My youngest hadn’t seen it yet and it’s one of my favorite movies so we all had a blast watching it again.

Instead of going out on Tuesday, somehow or other on Thursday night I finally convinced my dh to see The Greatest Showman which was the first time for him and the fourth time for me. It was just as good the 4th time as the 1st. :)

Have you seen Cloverfield Paradox?

Have you seen Cloverfield Paradox?

Yes, but it was only so-so. I read that it was originally just an ordinary “something goes wrong on a space station†movie and somebody or other decided to turn it into a “Cloverfield†movie by adding a bit to the ending. It absolutely felt that way—like a regular not-in-theaters movie that someone tacked a Cloverfield reference to, but it wasn’t the intention to begin with.

It was an ok movie, but not nearly of the same caliber of the first two Cloverfields. My son enjoyed it a lot, but even he knew it wasn’t quite the same. It felt very “made for DVD†to me.

DS is going to have a Cloverfield Day with his friends and they’re going to watch all three back to back.

• Like 1

We saw Black Panther Friday night! We all loved it! (Big marvel movie fans here- parents and two teen boys). Loved the scenery, the characters, the actors, the costumes., and the story. I plan to use my MoviePass to see it a few more times :)

Jodie

Edited to add that there are two post credit scenes :)

Edited by antsam
  • Like 2

We saw Black Panther Friday night! We all loved it! (Big marvel movie fans here- parents and two teen boys). Loved the scenery, the characters, the actors, the costumes., and the story. I plan to use my MoviePass to see it a few more times :)

Jodie

Edited to add that there are two post credit scenes :)

We always stay to the end of the credits, no matter the movie.  I can't pull myself out of the movie too fast and like the time to decompress by watching the words scroll up the screen.  I'm not ready to talk to my movie-partner about the movie until I've had those couple of minutes of credit time.

I love it when there are scenes at the end of the credits. :)

I finally went to see The Greatest Showman last week with dd.  We went in the middle of Thursday afternoon so we were the only ones in the theater.  It was amazing!  I definitely could watch it again. I did get a bunch of songs from the soundtrack for my ipod.  

Dd is a dancer but a lot of her friends are theater "kids" and she's always loved musicals.  I do too.

I'll see Black Panther because I love Marvel movies (just me, no one else in my family is a big fan but dh will watch with me) eventually but I don't see many movies in theaters.  My "girls night" buddy and I are supposed to go out soon so maybe we'll go see that.

I still have to see Spiderman: Homecoming but I did see Thor:Ragnarok and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 in theaters.  I want to do a marathon and watch ALL the Marvel movies before seeing Infinity Wars.  Not sure it's possible in the hours I have available or if I can watch them all without spending $$$$.

I still have to see Spiderman: Homecoming but I did see Thor:Ragnarok and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 in theaters.  I want to do a marathon and watch ALL the Marvel movies before seeing Infinity Wars.  Not sure it's possible in the hours I have available or if I can watch them all without spending $$$$.

This is what you need!! The entire cinematic Marvel universe in chronological order:

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/feature/a825774/marvel-cinematic-universe-in-chronological-order/

This is SO on my bucket list!

I'm very excited to see Black Panther.  I love Thor and Guardians and am ready for another.  They are also filming large portions of these here in Atlanta, with lots of local people involved, so that makes it more exciting to me.  I saw Stan Lee at DragonCon and he talked about filming some cameos while he was here.  But we rarely go opening weekend, it's just too crazy.  Maybe I can get my guys to go Saturday.

• Like 2

This is what you need!! The entire cinematic Marvel universe in chronological order:

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/feature/a825774/marvel-cinematic-universe-in-chronological-order/

This is SO on my bucket list!

One thing that's not totally accurate on that list... And maybe a slight timing spoiler for Black Panther (which we managed to see last night!)...

Black Panther takes place about a week after Captain America: Civil War, but probably BEFORE Spider Man: Homecoming. Generally the movies are separate enough it doesn't matter, except for one specific plot point from Spider Man that I didn't think about until after we got home from the movie last night and saw a couple YouTube breakdown/review videos.

I'm also looking forward to Black Panther! Trying to figure out when to go. I don't like crowds so might pass on this weekend.

Did you hear? Two theaters were bought out for showings of Black Panther in Mississippi. Octavia Spencer bought out a screening (including a small drink and popcorn) at one theater and director Tate Taylor purchased tickets for another screening at another theater here. Her intention was to help people of color get to see a super hero of color in underserved communities. She did something similar in LA before buying out screenings in low-income areas.

Taraji P. Henson (and possibly others from the cast? Of course, Octavia was in that too) did the same for Hidden Figures. 

• Like 1

Loved Black Panther! We were going to avoid seeing it over the weekend, because our local theaters were selling out. But then we decided to go to the first showing on Monday morning, since the kids were out of school. I especially loved Letitia Wright as T'Challa's sister, Shuri.

Tonight I went to see Game Night. It was a really fun, plot-twisty story. Although there were a few bullet wounds and fight scenes, the comic tone makes the violence seem not so serious. I think the R rating was more for the language. There are a couple of sexual references, but no nudity or sex scenes. I didn't love the swearing, but I expected it, due to the rating. If you removed the language, I don't think it would require a ton of editing to get it to a PG-13. I wouldn't let my kids watch it as is, but I wish I could, because they would like it. There were a lot of guffaws in the the theater.

Dh and I saw Samson the other day. While I've seen too much violence in movies, you can't watch anything about Samson fighting Philistines and not expect violence. It was OK.

I was happily surprised to see Linsday Wagner play his mother and she appears to have let herself age naturally. She looks great. Hollywood, take note!

Loved Black Panther! We were going to avoid seeing it over the weekend, because our local theaters were selling out. But then we decided to go to the first showing on Monday morning, since the kids were out of school. I especially loved Letitia Wright as T'Challa's sister, Shuri.

Tonight I went to see Game Night. It was a really fun, plot-twisty story. Although there were a few bullet wounds and fight scenes, the comic tone makes the violence seem not so serious. I think the R rating was more for the language. There are a couple of sexual references, but no nudity or sex scenes. I didn't love the swearing, but I expected it, due to the rating. If you removed the language, I don't think it would require a ton of editing to get it to a PG-13. I wouldn't let my kids watch it as is, but I wish I could, because they would like it. There were a lot of guffaws in the the theater.

Thank you for the review on Game Night!  Every time the previews are on we're all commenting about how we're wondering what the rating is for.  

• Like 1

Black Panther!

It was SO good!  Breathtaking scenery in this one- I came away genuinely disappointed that Wakanda isn't a real place we can go and visit.  Great origin story and the cast was just stellar.  I cannot wait to see this one over and over!   I think quite a bit of it was predictable, and I definitely saw the end credit scenes coming.  But it was still very fun and wowza on the girl power.  Makes me want to learn how to wield a spear! 

We all agreed that if someone wasn't really interested in the whole Marvel Universe, they could still enjoy Black Panther completely. 

Four moments of language, usual Marvel level violence, no nakedness/skin/sexual situations at all.  It's got some depth to the story that makes me think that PG-13 is the perfect rating for this one.  I probably wouldn't take the under ten crowd to it. 

• Like 2

Saw Game Night on Friday. I totally agree with your review. I was kind of worried it would be really vulgar based on some online reviews, but it wasn't.

• Like 1

I just saw Game Night and thought it was pretty funny.  Maybe a little heavy on the language but not too crude (unlike some of the previews for other movies -- some were just yuck), and it balanced comedy and action pretty well.  I laughed at several scenes, and so did several other moviegoers.

Thank you for the review on Game Night!  Every time the previews are on we're all commenting about how we're wondering what the rating is for.

I just saw Game Night and thought it was pretty funny.  Maybe a little heavy on the language but not too crude (unlike some of the previews for other movies -- some were just yuck), and it balanced comedy and action pretty well.  I laughed at several scenes, and so did several other moviegoers.

Happy, I just saw Game Night the other day, too! (We saw it together. :) )

We were watching the previews before the movie and one of them in particular was for a seriously raunchy movie. Just yuck. I said to Happypamama, “I hope this preview isn’t an indication of the movie we’re here to watch...†It wasn’t!

I usually avoid R rated comedies because they tend to be all raunch, but this one wasn’t. There was one story told that I didn’t really like (about bungee cords) that was a little too much for my tastes, but from what I remember, most of the other jokes were ok. There was language. And there was gun violence that might have been a smidge above PG13.

I’ve been to the movies for over 70 weeks in a row now and I can’t remember the last time I laughed out loud during a movie. I don’t know if it’s because I was with two friends and we were feeling extra happy, but I laughed a lot during Game Night. In so many comedies the jokes are forced and you might give a little blat of a laugh, but the humor in this one was just funny and natural and we acutally laughted and didn’t just blat. My dh doesn’t like going to movies, but I think he’d actually like this one. Very fast paced, light-hearted with lots of twists and turns in the plot to keep you on your toes.

It was one of my favorite movies of the past 70-something weeks.

• Like 4