Menu

Current movie thread

creekland

We went and saw the opening night viewing of Captain Marvel last night.

As Marvel fans, it did not disappoint. We got a lot of the backstory to Nick Fury, and I really enjoyed that aspect of it!   It was nicely paced, a little bit lighter in tone than say, Black Panther, but not quite as light as Ant-Man.   It was also family friendly for the most part- I didn't feel like the more intense scenes were super intense.  Maybe part of that is the time period this was set in? We know which characters are coming through the 80's with (most) of their limbs and digits intact.  There's the usual level of MCU violence- so lots of it but nothing that stands out to me as especially disturbing.  If you have kids who have seen and been fine with other Marvel movies, this one is right in line with them. 

Super sweet tribute to Stan Lee before the movie even begins.  Make sure you're in your seat by the end of the previews so you don't miss it. 

Two end credit scenes, of course you'll want to stay to the very end of the credit scroll.

I will say, that while the movie sort of did a good job explaining where this super powered character has been during the whole Avenger bru-ha-ha with Thanos, I kind of left the movie shaking my head wondering why the heck Fury didn't send her signal waaaaay sooner.   

• Like 3

This is not quite current movie thread but kinda related and I didn’t feel like giving it its whole own thread.  We were looking for a movie for the weekend and I remembered we haven’t done incredibles yet (either 1 or 2).  I was going to get 2 and then the kids wanted to watch 1 first (fair enough).  Anyway the villain Syndrome really bothered me.  He’s a nerdy kid that’s obsessed with super heroes - gets rejected and then goes away and uses his intelligence and nerdiness to try to take down the real superheroes (who have incredible physical prowess in various ways) using technology.  Then he even has the name syndrome.  Feels like a bit of a stereotype of kids with ASD (particularly given that I’m guessing Asperger’s syndrome was probably still a diagnosis when the movie came out?)

anyway maybe I’m reading too much into it.  There’s obviously a tonne of other stereotypes in the movie (boys superpower is being fast - the girls is making herself invisible - really!) but this was really bugging me.  So is this a thing or my imagination.  And is incredibles 2 better as far as the stereotypes go?

On 3/8/2019 at 10:45 AM, Lady Marmalade said:

I will say, that while the movie sort of did a good job explaining where this super powered character has been during the whole Avenger bru-ha-ha with Thanos, I kind of left the movie shaking my head wondering why the heck Fury didn't send her signal waaaaay sooner.   

I know the "official line" given in interviews so far is, "How do we know that wasn't the first time Fury sent a message?", but I think there's a larger theme of invincibility.  Fury's biggest flaw is that he always feels like he has another hero, another trick, another expensive piece of technology, to outwit and outplay anything the universe throws at him (and when your first exposure to alien invasion is this, the rest must seem like smaller potatoes).  He never plays his whole hand, and you never know how deep his resources go, even when he's in hiding and faking death.  It's a large part of the story line in the second and third seasons of Agents of SHIELD, how his "black box" of secrets nearly tore apart what was left of SHIELD after Hydra.  And the end credits scene of Thor: Ragnarok played into that as well.  Right before Thanos shows up, Thor's standing there basically bragging about how everything always works out.  But, it doesn't.  I don't think Fury realized that the Avengers weren't going to handle the situation like they always did until that final message went out.  And unlike the Chitauri invasion or Hydra or Ultron, no one on their side had a good read on the Thanos situation until it was too late.

The way Fury ended up losing his eye was some clever foreshadowing at how the people and institutions he trusted and believed in eventually let him down (except Phil Coulson).<-- ETA:  Also, I'm proud to say that this was the first completely correct guess I've made about anything happening in a Marvel movie.  I knew it from the first trailer!

I loved the movie.  I think I was looking forward to this one more than Endgame, and it definitely met my expectations.  But someone must have started cutting onions in the theater during the Stan Lee tribute because my eyes were watering (I teared up during his cameo in Into the Spider Verse, too).

Edited by BarbecueMom

1 hour ago, BarbecueMom said:

I know the "official line" given in interviews so far is, "How do we know that wasn't the first time Fury sent a message?", but I think there's a larger theme of invincibility.  Fury's biggest flaw is that he always feels like he has another hero, another trick, another expensive piece of technology, to outwit and outplay anything the universe throws at him (and when your first exposure to alien invasion is this, the rest must seem like smaller potatoes).  He never plays his whole hand, and you never know how deep his resources go, even when he's in hiding and faking death.  It's a large part of the story line in the second and third seasons of Agents of SHIELD, how his "black box" of secrets nearly tore apart what was left of SHIELD after Hydra.  And the end credits scene of Thor: Ragnarok played into that as well.  Right before Thanos shows up, Thor's standing there basically bragging about how everything always works out.  But, it doesn't.  I don't think Fury realized that the Avengers weren't going to handle the situation like they always did until that final message went out.  And unlike the Chitauri invasion or Hydra or Ultron, no one on their side had a good read on the Thanos situation until it was too late.

The way Fury ended up losing his eye was some clever foreshadowing at how the people and institutions he trusted and believed in eventually let him down (except Phil Coulson).<-- ETA:  Also, I'm proud to say that this was the first completely correct guess I've made about anything happening in a Marvel movie.  I knew it from the first trailer!

I loved the movie.  I think I was looking forward to this one more than Endgame, and it definitely met my expectations.  But someone must have started cutting onions in the theater during the Stan Lee tribute because my eyes were watering (I teared up during his cameo in Into the Spider Verse, too).

Yes to everything you said, but I'm impressed if you guessed about the eye! 

I totally forgot they were going to do something for Stan, so the moment caught me off guard and I was unexpectedly choked up.  It really was perfect.  Our theater burst into applause. 

• 2 months later...

Anyone seeing any good movies right now?

We saw, and loved Avengers:Endgame when it came out.  We've been wanting to go again, but I think we're probably not going to get to it, as there are a bunch of other movies we'd like to see.

Today the kids talked me into Detective Pikachu.  It was a cute movie.  I think it was very family friendly, I don't remember any language, definitely no TeA, and the violence was cartoon-ish for the most part.  There are some instances of peril, but nothing that I think would terrify a sensitive child.  If they are familiar with Pokemon at all, I think they'll be completely fine with the movie.

It was sweet at times, and there were quite a few laugh out loud moments.  Our theater was quite full with a huge assortment of people.  Some families with younger children, a few older people sans children, groups of teenagers, etc.   I was pleased that for the most part, even I knew all the names of the Pokemon featured in the movie. 😄 

Aladdin is a contender for our next movie, unless Dark Phoenix is out when we go, then that one will be our top choice. 

13 hours ago, Lady Marmalade said:

Anyone seeing any good movies right now?

We saw, and loved Avengers:Endgame when it came out.  We've been wanting to go again, but I think we're probably not going to get to it, as there are a bunch of other movies we'd like to see.

Today the kids talked me into Detective Pikachu.  It was a cute movie.  I think it was very family friendly, I don't remember any language, definitely no TeA, and the violence was cartoon-ish for the most part.  There are some instances of peril, but nothing that I think would terrify a sensitive child.  If they are familiar with Pokemon at all, I think they'll be completely fine with the movie.

It was sweet at times, and there were quite a few laugh out loud moments.  Our theater was quite full with a huge assortment of people.  Some families with younger children, a few older people sans children, groups of teenagers, etc.   I was pleased that for the most part, even I knew all the names of the Pokemon featured in the movie. 😄 

Aladdin is a contender for our next movie, unless Dark Phoenix is out when we go, then that one will be our top choice. 

We saw Endgame, and would like to see it again. 

We saw Detective PIkachu, and DH & I were pleasantly surprised; it was nowhere near as lame, boring, cheesy, etc. as we feared it might be, LOL! There were 2 instances of cuss words, though I only caught one (my kids caught both). Minor, though. It was cute; we all enjoyed it. 

We saw Aladdin; very pleasantly surprised with Will Smith's version of Genie.  We mostly liked the movie, although we sat front row, which was hilariously awful. Our theater has those big reclining seats, so "front row" is literally so close that the faces were distorted, the perspective was all off, the feet seemed enormous at times.....oh my word. We laughed a lot through the movie b/c of that, and we'd all like to see it again where we can pay attention to the movie, not the distraction of being too close. Although it was hilarious and a memory we'll laugh over for a long, long time.  

They do add a bit to Jasmine's story, taking it a teensy bit into the "girl power" mode (more than it was before); DH thought it was overkill, but I actually liked it mostly. There were all these little girls on the front row with us, and during Jasmine's new songs they were just dancing, singing, really immersed in it and it reminded me why movies like this need strong girls/women like that. It was really pretty cool.  We liked it better than the live action Beauty & the Beast, though friends who saw both felt the opposite. 

DH and I saw Pet Sematary; that was a "save for Redbox" movie, we thought. 

We're all looking forward to Spider Man: Far from Home, and I want to see Dark Phoenix, but DH is making noise like maybe not. I also get to pick one movie all my choice for DH & I to go see; trying to decide between some various previews we've seen. I never get to choose, so I don't want to waste it, LOL!

We saw Endgame, and I think it was a disappointment because of all the hype.  My kids were glad they saw it though.

A very nice movie, especially if you are in the adoption community, is Breakthrough.  I saw that for Mother's Day.

We also saw Poms, which was pretty funny and a tiny bit serious.  Even my 12yos found it hilarious (though there were a couple non-family-friendly references ... why can't they have a movie without sex in it ... even with characters too old to even remember what sex was?)