Menu

Current movie thread

creekland

Can we start - and keep up - a current movie list?

Hubby and I just finished watching Going in Style and really liked it.  It wasn't nearly as cute as Central Intelligence or Reds, but we still enjoyed it aside from some unnecessary swear words added in (there were others that seemed ok, but some of them... why???).

It got me thinking about how little I know about current movies.  I hear about one or two and try to catch them, but the majority of them playing I haven't heard much - if anything - about.

So... if you've watched (and liked) a movie at the first run theater, can you add it to this thread along with something brief about what type it is?  Some of us who enjoy our $5 matinees on Tuesdays would love some insight now and then!

-----------------------

Going in Style is a fun comedy about three older friends/gentleman wanting to get what is theirs and deciding to rob a bank.  Emphasis is there on friendship - and society seeing to it that older folks are taken care of - but done in a very comical way.  Our matinee theater today was 90% full (no pairs of empty seats available by showtime, but some singles were) and there was quite a bit of laughter + overheard kudos on the way out.  Naturally, with a daytime mid-week matinee, the audience was middle aged and older.  MY teens would love it too - not so sure other teens will.  There is some non-needed swearing and some that seemed to fit the script.  There are also some bedroom scenes, but with quite a bit left to the imagination rather than video.  It won't fit those wanting perfectly "clean" movies, but for those with leeway, it's fine.

• Like 7

Great idea! I am finally past some projects and have been wanting to go see a movie with real theater popcorn! (And atmosphere.) But I can't see 'em all and want to know where to allocate my nickels.

I am thinking Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - even if the story isn't great, I'm looking forward to seeing Baby Groot and finding out what terrific songs are on the second mix tape! I hope someone will screen it and post a helpful review.

• Like 4

My DH and I saw Gifted this week and enjoyed it. Sweet, if predictable, and satisfying story. The little girl is a cute and loveable actor.

One of the reasons I wanted to see it (besides Chris Evans ;) ) is the young woman who 'plays' Mary's mom (she is only shown in photos) is a friend of ours. I've watched her grow up--very fun to see her face on the big screen.

I'm so very fed up with movies with excessive swearing. Or the trend to more R rated movies. Romantic comedies that aren't funny or sweet. Comedy should not have to be crude, sexual, or potty to be funny. Sigh--I'm old fashioned, I guess.  

• Like 12

I go to $5 Tuesday nights every single Tuesday, so I've seen a lot of the movies that are out now. But it's 11:00 and I need to get to sleep. If I remember, I'll post my thoughts on a bunch of them tomorrow. :). But be aware that everyone likes/dislikes different things, so in a way, my opinion won't mean much. I like to go to Rotten Tomatoes and read the regular people's reviews (not the critics) to get a feel for whether or not I'll like something.

It's a lot like curriculum. Some people love X, others hate X and it all boils down to what works for each family. Same with movies.

• Like 5

My DH and I saw Gifted this week and enjoyed it. Sweet, if predictable, and satisfying story. The little girl is a cute and loveable actor.

One of the reasons I wanted to see it (besides Chris Evans ;) ) is the young woman who 'plays' Mary's mom (she is only shown in photos) is a friend of ours. I've watched her grow up--very fun to see her face on the big screen.

I'm so very fed up with movies with excessive swearing. Or the trend to more R rated movies. Romantic comedies that aren't funny or sweet. Comedy should not have to be crude, sexual, or potty to be funny. Sigh--I'm old fashioned, I guess.  

Gifted was on at the same time Going In Style was and I overheard some ladies talking about it afterward.  They enjoyed it.  It might be our choice for next week if we get to go.

I 100% agree that I don't care for excess swearing, potty humor, or too much in sex scenes.  Those aren't my jollies in screen entertainment, so we try to pick carefully.  We tolerate some and occasionally something even "fits" in the script so seems "right," but many TV shows we've dumped when they decided to turn into a Soap Opera rather than our type of entertainment.  Many movies we have to try to make a judgment call on, so I'd appreciate it if folks add their thoughts after viewing.

I go to $5 Tuesday nights every single Tuesday, so I've seen a lot of the movies that are out now. But it's 11:00 and I need to get to sleep. If I remember, I'll post my thoughts on a bunch of them tomorrow. :). But be aware that everyone likes/dislikes different things, so in a way, my opinion won't mean much. I like to go to Rotten Tomatoes and read the regular people's reviews (not the critics) to get a feel for whether or not I'll like something.

It's a lot like curriculum. Some people love X, others hate X and it all boils down to what works for each family. Same with movies.

But... if we create and keep up a thread, we ought to also get a feel for who likes similar movies (and who doesn't).  That can be the beauty of the Hive over places like Rotten Tomatoes.  I look at Rotten Tomatoes sometimes, but it's not super helpful for what we (personally) will like.  It is more like curriculum, so I think would work better when we "know" who the reviewer is.

DS and I saw Frantz recently,'it was ok.

What's it about?  I've never heard of it.

• Like 1

Gifted was on at the same time Going In Style was and I overheard some ladies talking about it afterward. They enjoyed it. It might be our choice for next week if we get to go.

I 100% agree that I don't care for excess swearing, potty humor, or too much in sex scenes. Those aren't my jollies in screen entertainment, so we try to pick carefully. We tolerate some and occasionally something even "fits" in the script so seems "right," but many TV shows we've dumped when they decided to turn into a Soap Opera rather than our type of entertainment. Many movies we have to try to make a judgment call on, so I'd appreciate it if folks add their thoughts after viewing.

But... if we create and keep up a thread, we ought to also get a feel for who likes similar movies (and who doesn't). That can be the beauty of the Hive over places like Rotten Tomatoes. I look at Rotten Tomatoes sometimes, but it's not super helpful for what we (personally) will like. It is more like curriculum, so I think would work better when we "know" who the reviewer is.

What's it about? I've never heard of it.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/francois-ozons-frantz-venice-review-923904

I go to the movies every single Tuesday night.  I'm not overly picky about what I see.  

I went to Fandango to see what's at my local theaters so I'll only talk about what's currently out and not all the movies I've seen in the past few months.

Out of what's out there, these are the movies I will not see:

Fate of the Furious

Smurfs

Boss Baby

Power Rangers

Not into the Furious movies and I am SICK TO DEATH of kid movies.

Out of what's out there, these are the movies I haven't had a chance to see, but may see in the next few weeks:

Phoenix

The Promise

Unforgettable

Going in Style

Gifted

The Zookeeper's Wife

All of those just came out in the past week or two and I haven't had a chance to get to them yet.

These are the movies that are currently out that I've seen:

Beauty and the Beast:

It was good.  It followed the cartoon very well. I loved the cartoon when it came out and I was about 18 years old.  HOWEVER.  Since having kids, I can barely stand to watch animated movies anymore, so the shine has rubbed off on the story of Beauty and the Beast for me.  Couple that with the fact that I greatly disliked how Disney made the Beast to act so mean when in all the book versions he's actually unfailingly polite.  The point of B&B isn't that the Beast learns to be kind but rather that Beauty learns to look past appearances.  Hate how Disney flip-flopped that lesson.

I was entertained which is all I expect from a movie and it was well done and I'm glad I went, but I left entirely unaffected and slightly bored.  I always get bored at the scene where the villagers attack in the cartoon and it was the same in the movie.

Logan:

I did NOT see the ending coming and I won't give it away. 

This movie had some plot flaws (like a bunch of young mutants are being chased and instead of using their mutant powers, they all act helpless and make Logan do all the work.)  

It was rated R and had a boatload more violence in it than other Xmen movies and lots of language.  

But the story!  Ah. I loved the story.  I loved this movie.  Yes, there were plot flaws, but I felt like we finally got to see the real Logan in all his angsty self in a way that was real.  Not glossed over for the PG13 rating.  It felt real in a way that Xmen movies never quite felt real and I loved it. But I love a good character-driven movie and this was absolutely a character-driven movie.  

I thought about this movie for a few weeks after seeing it.  It just stuck with me for some reason.

Kong:

This movie has been out of most of the theaters but one around me has had it hanging on for a few extra weeks and I finally bothered to watch it last night.

Five years ago, I loved action movies, but currently, as said above, I love character-driven movies.  Five years ago, I'd have raved about how awesome this movie is.  But now that I've changed, I didn't like it as much as my younger self would have.  Not character driven.  It was all action.

However, I did find the end to be deeply satisfying.  I had wanted what happened to happen.  I was glad it did.   :)

Also, there was a final scene after the credits that paves the way for sequels and I liked the idea that they'll have sequels. Even though I don't like action as much as I used to, I can still appreciate the fact of a good action film, and I think the sequels might be pretty cool.

Forgettable movie if you're tired of action movies.  You'll love it if you love action movies.

The Shack

This is a tricky one.  It's a fantasy story, basically; a Christian fantasy story.  I found it to leave me feeling empty.  A man has questions about very bad things that happen to him. He gets a mysterious letter in the mail telling him to go somewhere.  When he goes there, he's in another world.  In a bright, flowery, perfect world where God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit are three people who talk to him about the bad things that happened.  

I left feeling empty because the storyline plays on people's deepest desires when they're searching for God:  God, why don't you just show up and TALK to me??  In this book/movie, God does, in a real, tangible, physical way.  But it's not like that in real life.  So, even though I have gone through my search IRL to find God (and I asked Him to answer my questions, and He did in a very clear way), it's just not the same as looking God in the eye in physical form.  So, the movie plays on something most of us long for...but it will never happen IRL. Ever.

Another part of the movie involves the man seeing people who have died.  But again, that never, ever, ever happens.  We never see them again.  So, again, I left the theater with a sense of longing and emptiness that won't get fulfilled in the way this movie portrayed that things get fulfilled.  I just wished even more that I could see loved ones, one more time.  But I won't until I'm gone.  It was deflating.

Lots of people loved the movie, though.  But it was a fantasy story and I mean that in the literal sense, the way that Lord of the Rings is fantasy.  There were other worlds and the main character met people like Wisdom and saw into the Afterlife.  A fantasy.

If I'd have been younger, or maybe when I'm older, I'd have liked it more.  But for where I am now, it didn't add anything to my (strong) Christian faith and left me feeling like it raised more questions than it answered.  To someone who thinks God is out to get us or punish us, this movie would be good, because it portrays the love God has for us.  But I already knew He loves us.   :)

Get Out

This is R and labeled as horror.  I don't go see slasher-killer horror.  This wasn't like that.  This was suspense, psychological horror.  The black man visits his white girlfriend's family and throughout the course of the visit, he starts to feel he's in danger.  You never know for sure who is good or bad in the movie until the ending. 

I think there was some language.  There were no sex scenes.  I'm not remembering exactly, but there was a friend who was there for comic relief and may have made crude comments.  

There was violence at the end when there was a fight scene.  It was a little more graphic than it needed to be. Like, if someone gets stabbed, instead of showing them stabbed with some blood, there was a lot more blood than there needed to be and it dragged out a touch longer than it needed to.

The story was a lot of fun.  It was fun to try to sort out what was going on and if the person was in danger or not and if so, who was in on it.  I never felt scared in the movie even once, though it's listed as horror.  I enjoyed it and had fun talking with my movie buddy about it when it was done.  (I go with a friend every Tuesday.)

That's it to bring everything up to speed!  There are 15 movies out around here.  Four are kid movies (or a Fast and Furious movie) that I won't see, six are movies I haven't had a chance to see yet, and five are movies I've seen.

This is the order I'd see the five that just came out in (unless something new comes out that changes my list) :

1.  Going in Style

2.  Gifted

3.  The Zookeeper's Wife

4.  The Promise

5.  Unforgettable

6.  Phoenix

Huh.  I just remembered that saw Ghost in the Shell last week and I think it was out for only 2 weeks.  Must have been a box office dud to be out of theaters so fast around here.  It was so-so.  Another action movie.  Somewhat predictable.  I started getting sleepy near the end which means I'm not interested in the story enough.  (I sleep through kid movies when I have to go.)

Edited by Garga
  • Like 7

We recently saw Boss Baby. Dh and I did not find it all that entertaining. The opening was kind of cute, but ultimately we were not impressed. Maybe that is just us though. I find I am disappointed in most animated films these days.

Hoping tonight to rent La La Land on Amazon because I have been wanting to watch it for a long time.

I go to the movies every single Tuesday night.  I'm not overly picky about what I see.  

Garga you absolutely must contribute to this thread (even if we might like different movies).  I LOVE your reviews.  They're exactly what I'm looking for to better discern if I want to see them or not.

I doubt we'll get to movies every Tuesday, but I am hoping to go more often when we're home and want to choose carefully to try not to waste money or time since there are oodles of options.

• Like 7

Saw Split last weekend and really liked it.3 girls are kidnapped by a man with dissociative identity disorder. Betty Buckley plays his treating psychiatrist. Very tense, interesting, and definitely by M. Night Shamalan. I am going to let my daughter see it. There is a cool twist at the end...watch past the credits.

• Like 4

I just saw "The Lost City of Z," and enjoyed it very much, although it was more intense and suspenseful than I expected. It is rated PG-13. I like movies based on true stories, although I don't like it when they alter things too much. Not surprisingly, the main character's views on indigenous peoples were apparently made more PC for the movie. Still, I would recommend it. They did a good job of showing how he went back and forth between two worlds (Edwardian England and deep jungle). Beautiful cinematography. I definitely want to read the book now.

I am going to see "The Case for Christ" tomorrow. My husband saw it last week and enjoyed it very much.

I plan to see "The Promise." We have many Armenian friends, and in fact my brother lives in Little Armenia.

Great thread!!!

• Like 1

How scary is it?

The commercials for it scared me/gave me the creeps.

I like scary stuff but I hate it, too.

To me, the commercials were the scariest bits. I mean, the entire idea is scary--that someone would kidnap you.

But the commercial parts were the scariest. So, if you can handle the idea of being kidnapped by someone completely crazy with mutliple personalities, then it's ok. The guy is a nut and one of the girls is trying to talk to him in a way that his craziness might respond to, trying to get one of the personalities to let them go.

I've always found mutliple personality stories to be Very Creepy. If you're ok with multiple personality stories, then you're probably ok with this one.

If you found other movies by this director to be scary, then you'll find this one scary, too. But if the others didn't scare you too much, this one won't either. The critics are saying that this one is like his other good ones (I can't spell his name...he's the guy who did the "I see dead people" movie--can't remember the name of that one either!)

It wasn't scarier than the dead people movie.

Well we don't watch movies in the theater except once every year or two, max, but two thumbs way up for the new Mystery Science Theater 3000 on Netflix.

My boys watched this at an outdoor movie night on a projector on the side of friend's house last week.  They loved it.

Thanks, Garga! That helps a bunch.

I did find his other movies scary...but I really get into movies. I don't know how else to explain it. I like to immerse myself and just lose myself in them.

Sometimes I'm able to hold back, and watch more dispassionately, then I don't get as scared.

Did you see 10 Cloverfield Lane? The previews to Split remind me of that.

I see it is not rated R.  I like psychological thrillers....this description adds the word horror.  I definitely don't like horror.  So now I am torn.

Thanks, Garga! That helps a bunch.

I did find his other movies scary...but I really get into movies. I don't know how else to explain it. I like to immerse myself and just lose myself in them.

Sometimes I'm able to hold back, and watch more dispassionately, then I don't get as scared.

Did you see 10 Cloverfield Lane? The previews to Split remind me of that.

I did see 10 Cloverfield Lane. Yes, it's a lot like that--same sort of idea. Someone gets kidnapped and is trying to talk their way into being released, but the person they're talking to is crazy. One wrong word and they will snap.

It's hard for me to judge how scary something is. I used to be terrified of psychological horror/suspense. The Sixth Sense scared me for years and years. I'd expect to see dead people all over my house and it was a bad feeling. It was every night. I used to be very scared to turn off lights in my house and walk a short distance, like across the room to my bed. I hated feeling that way.

And then one day, it just stopped. And now suddenly stuff like that doesn't scare me at all. I don't know why.

So, I can't tell you if it's scary or not. I don't know if it would have scared me a few years ago or not. For some reason, all the fear just went away. I have no idea why. I'm glad, but don't know why.

I wish I could tell you if 10 Cloverfield or Split are too scary or not. I remember watching a movie years ago with Edward Norton in it where he plays a character with a split personality and it gave me the heebie geebies for months and months afterwards. But then I watched Split and I wasn't scared. It was fascinating, but not scary.

And I get deep into movies when I watch them. That's why I go to the theater--because I get really upset at interruptions from my family while I'm watching. When I watch, I'm in the movie and it's all real and the world is gone. Completely in the zone. I love that feeling. So, it's not that I'm suddenly not in the movies anymore.

I want to be careful with reviews and not let people think things aren't scary that might be scary. I was told that The Sixth Sense wasn't scary so I saw it and struggled with major fear every night for years from it. :(. I don't want to do that to someone else.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

I see it is not rated R. I like psychological thrillers....this description adds the word horror. I definitely don't like horror. So now I am torn.

I can't figure out what horror is. I know I don't like movies like those Saw movies. I don't like anything to do with torture.

My mother asked me about Split if there is any torture and there isn't. Not even psychological torture. The girls are captured, the man does intend them harm eventually, but that's due to one of his split personalities being crazy. Not all of the personalities want to harm them. One girl tries to talk to the personalities that might be willing to help them escape. There is a fight scene at the end. There is reference to humans evolving super strength and a character does display super strength. But I didn't see anything horrifying in that, so I don't know why it's horror.

It was suspensful and psychological, but I don't know why it would be called horror. I can't figure out what horror means. I thought it meant torture and serial killers being gleeful in hurting people and witches and spirits doing creepy things, like making blood drip from walls or something. To me, horror is all around torture and demonic things happening.

Here's wikipedia's definition:

Horror films often deal with viewers' nightmares, fears, revulsions and terror of the unknown. Plots within the horror genre often involve the intrusion of an evil force, event, or personage into the everyday world.

I did see 10 Cloverfield Lane. Yes, it's a lot like that--same sort of idea. Someone gets kidnapped and is trying to talk their way into being released, but the person they're talking to is crazy. One wrong word and they will snap.

It's hard for me to judge how scary something is. I used to be terrified of psychological horror/suspense. The Sixth Sense scared me for years and years. I'd expect to see dead people all over my house and it was a bad feeling. It was every night. I used to be very scared to turn off lights in my house and walk a short distance, like across the room to my bed. I hated feeling that way.

And then one day, it just stopped. And now suddenly stuff like that doesn't scare me at all. I don't know why.

So, I can't tell you if it's scary or not. I don't know if it would have scared me a few years ago or not. For some reason, all the fear just went away. I have no idea why. I'm glad, but don't know why.

I wish I could tell you if 10 Cloverfield or Split are too scary or not. I remember watching a movie years ago with Edward Norton in it where he plays a character with a split personality and it gave me the heebie geebies for months and months afterwards. But then I watched Split and I wasn't scared. It was fascinating, but not scary.

And I get deep into movies when I watch them. That's why I go to the theater--because I get really upset at interruptions from my family while I'm watching. When I watch, I'm in the movie and it's all real and the world is gone. Completely in the zone. I love that feeling. So, it's not that I'm suddenly not in the movies anymore.

I want to be careful with reviews and not let people think things aren't scary that might be scary. I was told that The Sixth Sense wasn't scary so I saw it and struggled with major fear every night for years from it. :(. I don't want to do that to someone else.

I like the scary suspense stuff but not the supernatural (I would never watch 6th Sense) or horror.  

I can't figure out what horror is. I know I don't like movies like those Saw movies. I don't like anything to do with torture.

My mother asked me about Split if there is any torture and there isn't. Not even psychological torture. The girls are captured, the man does intend them harm eventually, but that's due to one of his split personalities being crazy. Not all of the personalities want to harm them. One girl tries to talk to the personalities that might be willing to help them escape. There is a fight scene at the end. There is reference to humans evolving super strength and a character does display super strength. But I didn't see anything horrifying in that, so I don't know why it's horror.

It was suspensful and psychological, but I don't know why it would be called horror. I can't figure out what horror means. I thought it meant torture and serial killers being gleeful in hurting people and witches and spirits doing creepy things, like making blood drip from walls or something. To me, horror is all around torture and demonic things happening.

Here's wikipedia's definition:

Horror films often deal with viewers' nightmares, fears, revulsions and terror of the unknown. Plots within the horror genre often involve the intrusion of an evil force, event, or personage into the everyday world.

Right.....maybe someone just put the wrong label on it...Horror to me would be like the SAW movies, or chainsaw massacre or those Freddie Kruger movies....none of which I have ever seen or ever will.  The movie clips and references years later give me chills.

P.S. I really liked Split and 10 Cloverfield Lane. I was hesitant to see them because stuff like that used to scare me, but now that it doesn't I loved them both. I thought they were loads of fun and enjoyed trying to figure out exactly what was going on. There's a bit of mystery in each of them as to what's happening. What's real and what's only in the person's mind?

• Like 1

I like the scary suspense stuff but not the supernatural (I would never watch 6th Sense) or horror.

Yes! That's how I've always been. Supernatural stuff was/is always a no for me. Though I'm not as scared as I used to be, I'd never watch one of those movies about haunted houses or possessed people. Never.

And I was leery about Split, because, as you can clearly see from the previews, one of the personalities is out to harm the girls. So...does that fall into the serial killer type of horror? I don't know. It didn't feel that way to me.

Right.....maybe someone just put the wrong label on it...Horror to me would be like the SAW movies, or chainsaw massacre or those Freddie Kruger movies....none of which I have ever seen or ever will. The movie clips and references years later give me chills.

Here's more of the wiki article on it. I'd say that these movies are not the traditional horror, but might fall into one of the subhorror genres, which includes psychological horror. I'd love to start searching for definitions of psych-horror, but I need to make dinner now. :). The traditional definition is what I always think of when I see horror, but I see it's much more complicated than that.

From wiki:

Horror films often deal with viewers' nightmares, fears, revulsions and terror of the unknown. Plots within the horror genre often involve the intrusion of an evil force, event, or personage into the everyday world. Prevalent elements include ghosts, extraterrestrials, vampires, werewolves, demons, satanism, gore, torture, vicious animals, evil witches, monsters, zombies, cannibals, psychopaths, natural or man-made disasters, and serial killers.[1]

Some subgenres of horror include action horror, comedy horror, body horror, disaster horror, holiday horror, horror drama, psychological horror, science fiction horror, slasher horror, supernatural horror, gothic horror, natural horror, zombie horror, first-person horror and teen horror.

• Like 1

Should we start a new thread each week with the movies we've watched?  Maybe we should start a Movie Goers group to post in.  

I went to see The Zookeeper's Wife this past week.  I think it was exactly as you'd suspect it would be.

Since it's based on a true story and since they took the time to make the movie, I went in supposing that it probably turned out mostly ok in the end.  It didn't seem likely they'd make a movie where everything turned out horribly wrong in the end.  Some movies are like that, but from the previews, this didn't seem to be one of those kind of downer movies.

I don't want to give anything away, but it didn't deviate from when I was expecting when I went in.  I suspected there would be very sad scenes (it is Poland during WWII when the Jews were being exterminated, after all), and there were heartwarming scenes, and there was danger, and there was an ending that I suspected would end as it did.  

I enjoyed the movie, but if you don't want to see the sad scenes, then don't go.  They run a zoo and it's a war and things die during war.  That's all I say so I don't give it away, but I think you can figure out what might happen to animals in a zoo in a warzone.  Not to mention to people.

Professional critics at rottentomatoes.com gave it a 60% positive review, regular viewers like me gave it 81%.  That sounds about right.  Now that I see movies every week, I can see the flaws in them the way critics do, but I still can get a kick out of them the way most of us do, who aren't letting ourselves be distracted by the flaws.  The critics usually like movies less than regular people do.  

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_zookeepers_wife_2017

NOTE:  As my dh likes to remind me, "The animals are all stunt animals and were paid good money for their acting in the movie and bought mansions in the south of France with their earnings.  They didn't really die.  Stunt animals."

Edited by Garga
  • Like 5

Should we start a new thread each week with the movies we've watched? 

I think keeping this thread going will assist more folks who are interested.  I know when my guys were young, we didn't watch many movies first string, we waited until they got to the cheap theater a few weeks later.

We didn't get to watch one this past Tuesday - I was working during the cheap matinees.  We'd have watched Gifted if we'd gone.  The rest of May and part of June don't look promising either since I'll mostly be at mom's and unless things improve soon with my own health, I'm going to have to see someone about that too - not really sure when.  Mid June was what I had thought could work.  Going off today (and the past few)... that seems to be a long time off.  :glare:

Nonetheless, I like reading the reviews others post to get ideas - for the theater, or perhaps Netflix later.  And actually, if someone posts a review about anything adult and positive - comedy is good, but must be mostly clean, I might convince mom to go watch it.  I don't want anything sad or dealing with death though.  We took her to watch Hidden Figures back when it was out and she really enjoyed it.

• Like 2

Saw Going in Style this past Tuesday.

It's about 3 older men whose pension checks are stopped so they decide to rob a bank. The movie was lighthearted and fun. There were a couple of times that I chucked, but there weren't any over-the-top laughter scenes. So, it was mildly funny. There were a couple of inexplicable f-bombs that didn't seem to fit into the tone of the movie.

All in all, it was the sort of movie you see on $5 Tuesday but I wouldn't have wanted to pay full price for it. It was the sort of movie to see before or after dinner with friends if you don't feel like having deep conversations about the movie. No one leaves depressed from the theater so you can head out to dinner feeling lighthearted after the movie is done. A feel-good movie.

ETA: Rotten Tomatoes professional critics give it a 46%. Regular moviegoers give it a 63%. Pretty accurate I'd say. The movie was completely predictable and safe. But it was fun to see the actors interact. They did a great job of playing off each other (but these are great actors all around so it'd be hard for them to go wrong.). Fluff movie that doesn't expect a lot from the audience, but lightly entertains for a couple of hours.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

Scarlett: I was skittish about watching Sixth Sense, but it was a movie that had a good message in the end. At the end, you see the reason for everything. It was a little creepy.

I just watched the trailer for Split and that looks like one I can do without in my life. Mr. Tumnus, how could you? But he seemed kind of creepy in Narnia anyway.

I don't like feeling afraid and being all tensed up during movies EXCEPT movies like SIGNS with Mel Gibson. One of my favorites for some reason. 

We went and saw Guardians 2 today.  I think if you enjoyed the first one, you'll love this second installment.  They gave all those characters some real depth this time around and there were so many unexpected things.  The kids and I went to a matinee, and plan to go again soon to take DH.   Kurt Russell was fabulous, and the story took a big turn I did not see coming.

There were precise discussions of male anatomy and procreation, a glimpse of a brothel, and some language for those who like to know those things.  There were some death scenes that (to me) were a little more disturbing than the usual Marvel offing of bad guys.   The usual super-hero movie violence abounds in spades.  

The soundtrack was great.  It gave me some ideas of places to look for DS's duet next year.  :) 

I think there were 5 end-credit scenes?  One pretty much right after the movie, and then the other 4 scattered throughout.

• Like 1

I really want to see G of G 2 as soon as possible. Silly me wants to know about baby groot more than anything! LOL

Baby Groot is Awesome!!!

We enjoyed the movie so much!  I'm following this thread for other fun summer movies.

• Like 2

Baby Groot is Awesome!!!

We enjoyed the movie so much!  I'm following this thread for other fun summer movies.

Pirates is the next one on our list as a must see, followed by Spiderman: Homecoming.   I'm really hoping for another summer of movies.  We went almost every Tuesday last year and had so much fun.

DD and I kind of wanted to see the newest King Arthur until I read some of the parent review sites.  We have a high tolerance for movie content, but it lost it's appeal after I read a few of those.

Wonder Woman, Cars 3, Despicable Me 3 and The Nut Job are also in my mind as things we'll probably see.  Then we'll fill in with some unexpected choices along the way. 

• Like 1

I went to see King Arthur: Legend of the Sword for my Tuesday night movie. 

I wasn't sure what to expect.  Currently, the critics at rotten tomatoes give it at 27% rating, while regular moviegoers give it a 79%.  That's a big difference.  I feared it would be like John Wick 2.  I went to see John Wick 2 without knowing anything about it and it was an hour and a half of a guy shooting everyone with ZERO plot.  It was sooooo boring I could hardly stand it.  It was such a lame movie, but got high reviews.  I guess it got high reviews from people who like movies with zero plot

I wondered if this would be 2 hours of a guy stabbing everyone with swords with zero plot.  

Anyway...so I watched it and I enjoyed it.  The scenes jump all over the place.  Current, past, time passing...scenes were all over the place, but I liked it. I liked the way the story wove in and out around itself.  I think the critics felt that it was too cutesy to be jumping around like that or something.  They probably felt it was overdone.  But as an audience member, I felt it was just fun, playful.  A playful way to tell the story.

I was completely engaged with the movie for the first 3/4 of it.  But then, they had to end on a long action/fight sequence.  Well, I expected that.  I felt the same way about Inception.  The movie was fun with a plot and things were keeping me on my toes and then there was that impossibly long action sequence that Just Never Ended.  King Arthur was like that.  Great movie with an overly-long action scene at the end.

But, I suspect that certain movie goers will love the long action sequence.  As the person I am now, I no longer enjoy action sequences the way I used to.  In the past, I wouldn't have minded.  And since I knew I was seeing an action movie, I knew there would be fight scenes, but I personally wished the fight scene was a little shorter.  

And there was a big snake.  I think the big snake wasn't supposed to make me snort, but it did.  Oh well.  If there hadn't been such a big snake, it would have been better.  But it was just one goofy thing in a movie that I overall enjoyed.  Much more plot and little twists and turns than I expected.  

Overall, it's a movie that's what you expect:  action/fantasy/magic/sword fighting.  There was one clear F bomb in it.  I toss that out there because I know some WTMers like to know what to expect in that regard.  A brothel plays an important role in the movie, but there aren't any sex scenes.  It's simply that part of the movie involves characters who live in the brothel.  

Edited by Garga
  • Like 4

Garga you absolutely must contribute to this thread (even if we might like different movies).  I LOVE your reviews.  They're exactly what I'm looking for to better discern if I want to see them or not.

I doubt we'll get to movies every Tuesday, but I am hoping to go more often when we're home and want to choose carefully to try not to waste money or time since there are oodles of options.

Yes, please!

• Like 3

We saw Guardians of the Galaxy 2 last weekend.  I enjoyed it very much.  Everyone else was somewhere between "meh" and "ugh".   I love Kurt Russell but I thought his part in this movie was terrible.  The writing for him was awful.  I kept thinking he was trying very hard not to laugh  at his lines.

Other than that, I enjoyed it.

I have no desire to see the new King Arthur movie.   I'm a big KA fan and the last few have been so disappointing.  I'm not doing that again, especially with all the bad reviews.   Once again,  If they're going to change stuff around, please call it something else too. 

We saw Guardians of the Galaxy 2 last weekend.  I enjoyed it very much.  Everyone else was somewhere between "meh" and "ugh".   I love Kurt Russell but I thought his part in this movie was terrible.  The writing for him was awful.  I kept thinking he was trying very hard not to laugh  at his lines.

Other than that, I enjoyed it.

I have no desire to see the new King Arthur movie.   I'm a big KA fan and the last few have been so disappointing.  I'm not doing that again, especially with all the bad reviews.   Once again,  If they're going to change stuff around, please call it something else too. 

Yeah, it doesn't follow the King Arthur story at all.  It just has the same character names and there's a sword in a stone that only the heir of Uther Pendragon can pull out.  Otherwise, it's not a King Arthur story.

But I still liked the movie.  :)  And I'm a big traditional King Arthur fan.  But I could see this particular movie as separate from traditional King Arthur stories. 

In the past, when I went to movies rarely, I wanted to make sure I had a great experience, since it was such a rare thing and not to be squandered.  But now that I go all the time, as long as I'm marginally entertained and have a bag of popcorn (the popcorn is important), I'm happy.  

If you want to go see a sword/magic movie, this was fine.  If you are a stickler for King Arthur, you won't be happy.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2

I saw Alien Covenant today with my son and daughter. I spoiled the movie by whispering to my daughter something I was noticing during the movie, and it turned out to be correct, and she felt disappointed that I hadn't let her discover it for herself. (It's a "mile away" kind of thing if you are used to looking closely at movies.)

Anyway, it was slowwww in the beginning but picked up. They could've made the characters much deeper. Some of them were pure throw-aways. 

You HAVE to know about Prometheus to get this one. 

I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars.  :thumbup1:

• Like 2

I saw Colossal today, on my son's recommendation. I enjoyed it very much. 

I can't say a whole lot about the plot without potentially spoiling things, but I found it appealingly twisty. On Rotten Tomatoes, critics like it better than audiences (79% vs. 65%), and the audience reviews are pretty sharply divided between half stars from folks who found the movie slow/confusing/worst movie ever and four-five stars from people who appreciated the quirky originality and use of metaphor.

I'm distinctly in the second group. 

• Like 1

Cross-posted from the Book A Week thread...

I read a version of King Arthur last year for the bingo. I didn't like it. I found it a slog.

But, if you like action movies &, specifically, movies made by Guy Ritchie, you will probably enjoy his version of King Arthur. I haven't kept up with movies at all lately (that shows how crazy my life has been because I love to go see movies in the theater). Dd decided last minute she wanted to go see King Arthur. I hadn't even seen any trailers for it & the only thing I knew about it was that Jude Law was in it playing the bad guy (Vortigern). Can't go wrong with Jude Law, imo.

Turns out there's Eric Bana (can't go wrong there either). And plenty of other good actors, some really cool CGI effects (specifically a cape of flames that is really one of the coolest effects ever) & a great soundtrack for the action. The style of movie-making was very much Guy Ritchie, especially similar to effects/style he used in Sherlock Holmes 2 (imo). Personally, I like his movie-making style so it was a good fit for me. Apparently the movie hasn't made a lot of money & has been panned somewhat, but dd & I both enjoyed it quite a bit. However, users on imdb have given it a 7.3, so that's pretty good. Some reviews have panned "The Mage", but I personally liked her very deadpan, monotone style of speaking as I felt it fit her; she is only ever referred to as The Mage, but to me she's Merlin. (Dd & I discussed this angle on the way home.) I even endured multiple scenes with snakes! (I hate snakes! Just like Indiana Jones hates snakes.) Anyway, interesting new take on the King Arthur story that's way better than the original stories (imo) -- though Arthur purists may argue me on that one. To that I say: :001_tt2: . If you're not an Arthur purist & you do like Guy Ritchie movies, go enjoy!

• Like 1

P.S. I agree with Garga that John Wick 2 was terrible. I never saw the first one (didn't want to because I heard the dog died). My dad saw the original John Wick & really liked it so he wanted to go see John Wick 2. I went with him, but... blech.... Just way too much violence for me. And like Garga said, no story. It was just 2 hours of killing. Normally I like action movies.

I saw Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 last night.

I was meh about the first Guardians movie and I didn't really like this one either. It was so-so.

I don't know why, but for some reason I can't get into the Guardian stories. Usually, when I'm at the movies I forget that I'm at the movies. I'm engrossed in the movie and am in the story world. But with the GG movies, I only did that a couple of times. Mostly as I was watching my brain was thinking other thoughts. "I wonder why those chose that song?" "This popcorn is good." "Why do slow motion shots of people walking in big coats make them look so cool?" "Oh, look! Even his tongue is blue." "I wish I was cool."

I like going to the movies because I like being transported mentally to another place for a couple of hours. That just doesn't happen for me in GG movies. I think it's because I don't relate to any of the characters.

Also, there were some inuednos and language that were a bit much for me for kids. And lots of killing scenes. I don't like the senseless killing scenes. Like, they're being chased by a few hundred little fighter ships. The racoon-thing says something like, "Oh good! Now I get to kill people!" Turns out that the ships are automated so they're not killing people, but something about the happiness of the racoon to kill people doesn't sit well with me. A bunch of people were spaced while others jeered at them while they died and I found that distasteful.

I know that all the characters are anti-heros where they're not "good guys" and I guess I'm just not into that.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

I saw Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 last night.

I was meh about the first Guardians movie and I didn't really like this one either. It was so-so.

I don't know why, but for some reason I can't get into the Guardian stories. Usually, when I'm at the movies I forget that I'm at the movies. I'm engrossed in the movie and am in the story world. But with the GG movies, I only did that a couple of times. Mostly as I was watching my brain was thinking other thoughts. "I wonder why those chose that song?" "This popcorn is good." "Why do slow motion shots of people walking in big coats make them look so cool?" "Oh, look! Even his tongue is blue." "I wish I was cool."

I like going to the movies because I like being transported mentally to another place for a couple of hours. That just doesn't happen for me in GG movies. I think it's because I don't relate to any of the characters.

Also, there were some inuednos and language that were a bit much for me for kids. And lots of killing scenes. I don't like the senseless killing scenes. Like, they're being chased by a few hundred little fighter ships. The racoon-thing says something like, "Oh good! Now I get to kill people!" Turns out that the ships are automated so they're not killing people, but something about the happiness of the racoon to kill people doesn't sit well with me. A bunch of people were spaced while others jeered at them while they died and I found that distasteful.

I know that all the characters are anti-heros where they're not "good guys" and I guess I'm just not into that.

You and I have very similar thoughts about GG.  I told my guys they can go watch Vol 2 if they want to, but I'm skipping it.  I found the first one incredibly lengthy and boring - just not my style or what I'm looking for.  I can be pretty picky with movies I suppose - hence - wanting this thread to sift through them for me since we don't go often.

• Like 1

Last night I saw Everything, everything.

The movie is about a girl with a severely compromised immune system. She lives in a house sealed up against the outdoor air. She cannot leave the house or she'll surely get sick and die. The only people she sees are her mother, a visiting nurse, and sometimes the nurse's daughter.

At the start of the movie she has just turned 18 and a young man has just moved in next door. He sees her through the window and they start to text each other. They slowly fall in love. The texting scenes were done very cleverly showing the actors in various settings as if they're talking face to face, but they're really just texting. I suppose that kept the movie goers from being bored, because watching them bent over their phones for an hour texting would make for a pretty boring movie. :)

The movie was gentle and sweet. It wasn't the best movie you've ever seen and certainly not the worst. It was exactly what it looks like--a story of first love with the tension being that they cannot be together due to her illness. I would feel safe recommending this movie to just about anyone if they're looking for a pleasant movie to go to on a date night or out with friends. There was a little extra something that happened in the movie to make it suddenly very interesting near the end, but I don't want to give anything away.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

I saw Alien Covenant today with my son and daughter. I spoiled the movie by whispering to my daughter something I was noticing during the movie, and it turned out to be correct, and she felt disappointed that I hadn't let her discover it for herself. (It's a "mile away" kind of thing if you are used to looking closely at movies.)

Anyway, it was slowwww in the beginning but picked up. They could've made the characters much deeper. Some of them were pure throw-aways. 

You HAVE to know about Prometheus to get this one. 

I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars.  :thumbup1:

We saw it over the weekend. I would also give it 3/5 stars.  I thought all of the characters were shallow.  No real time to develop them.  It was more of a monster movie than Prometheus.  If you don't like those types of movies you will not like this movie  I was disappointed by several things - especially the end.

Now, I'm wondering what you were noticing!  LOL

Edited by PrincessMommy