Menu

Graduation Announcements?

Ann.without.an.e

We have two graduation announcements sitting on our kitchen counter. Both of the announcements are pre-printed on the senior photo. Like a photo Christmas card. If that is what you have in mind, it would be similar to what brick-and-mortar grads around here are doing.

• Like 2

I did a photo from Walgreens. It was easy to add text - it even had her party information on it. My biggest worry was that they would not be thick enough, but they went through the mail very well. The photograph is what people want. 

It's not cheap, it's environmentally sensitive  :laugh:

• Like 3

We have done ours with the online service at Walmart ordered to the local photo center. We order the matte, usually a collage of photos with a brief statement of graduation date and intended college name, maybe their major if there is room depending on the style each boy chooses. Eldest boy chose one with a lot more room for text than middle boy did. Youngest does not care in the slightest but we have out of town relatives and friends to notify so my guess is I will end up choosing them.

• Like 1

We don't do any :)

We didn't either.  I didn't realize anyone still did them TBH... unless perhaps they were having a graduation party and it's an invitation?

What are they for?  We tell our friends/family in person and my guys also use FB.

• Like 1

We didn't either. I didn't realize anyone still did them TBH... unless perhaps they were having a graduation party and it's an invitation?

What are they for? We tell our friends/family in person and my guys also use FB.

We do not keep a Facebook presence. My boys are very uninterested, and Dh would have his monitored by his employer if he had one due to security concerns.

We have lived in five different states, and have numerous friends and extended family who like to know. It represents a tiring amount of phone calls with people with whom we do not keep in frequent phone contact.

Family culture plays into this a lot. Both dh and I have extended family that would be very offended if we did not send a formal announcement, not to mention with time zones in France, Egypt, Denmark, and Togo making the phone call thing dicey - the Togo and Egypt folks also have no reliable Internet service - snail mail works.

Edited by FaithManor
  • Like 3

We do not keep a Facebook presence. My boys are very uninterested, and Dh would have his monitored by his employer if he had one due to security concerns.

We have lived in five different states, and have numerous friends and extended family who like to know. It represents a tiring amount of phone calls with people with whom we do not keep in frequent phone contact.

Family culture plays into this a lot. Both dh and I have extended family that would be very offended if we did not send a formal announcement, not to mention with time zones in France, Egypt, Denmark, and Togo making the phone call thing dicey - the Togo and Egypt folks also have no reliable Internet service - snail mail works.

Thanks for the explanation!  Makes sense...

• Like 1

We didn't either. I didn't realize anyone still did them TBH... unless perhaps they were having a graduation party and it's an invitation?

What are they for? We tell our friends/family in person and my guys also use FB.

We've lived in three states and two foreign countries while my kids were in school. Our friends were on similar non-overlapping journeys. Our family lives in six different states.

The announcement is a little opportunity to share our not with people who are far away but near at heart.

By contrast I put no kid pictures on Facebook.

Of course YMMV. We still do a Christmas letter too. ;)

• Like 4

We still do a Christmas letter too. ;)

We do too - for family and friends far off.  I enjoy reading theirs as well.

Graduation announcements just aren't something our circle does I suspect - except on FB and phone.  No condemnation for those who use them.  It just came as a surprise to me and I was curious about their purpose.

• Like 1

We do too - for family and friends far off.  I enjoy reading theirs as well.

Graduation announcements just aren't something our circle does I suspect - except on FB and phone.  No condemnation for those who use them.  It just came as a surprise to me and I was curious about their purpose.

I certainly get fewer than we did ten years ago.  What I haven't seen in a long time are the text based announcements like I used in the 80s.  Mostly they are some kind of photo card.

• Like 2

I certainly get fewer than we did ten years ago. What I haven't seen in a long time are the text based announcements like I used in the 80s. Mostly they are some kind of photo card.

I don't do Christmas cards anymore nor a Christmas newsletter kind of thing. While I am required to maintain a Facebook page for the 4H club and rocket team, we do not do social media either so out of town friends and family do not see up to date photos of our kids. We talk on the phone a few times per year with these folks, so what I like about the photo card is that it does give them an updated picture of the boys. I like getting those of niece's and nephews who due to distance and non matching work schedules I may have texted or talked to over the phone but not seen in a long time. So the graduation photo card goes on the fridge, and that is really nice.

The text only cards around here are professionally printed ,usually with embossing, invitations that one purchases through the high schools or colleges and they are ridiculously high priced. My friend that teaches the local high school told me that last year the invites were $8.50 each! (Faints because we made beautiful home made invites for Dd's wedding for about $2.00 each, and I think the boy's graduation announcements have been about a dollar.)

• Like 1

That sounds great! Middle got teased a lot that her "boyfriend" had a big nose. We got one this year that was the standard "girl leaning over her horse's neck". At least that's pretty standard here. I keep the newspaper with all the grad photos in it until the next year, and there were several in cowboy hats, one pitching a baseball, and one pole vaulting. We got one one year of the girl and her horse jumping a six foot fence. We've gotten then with the Grand Champion hog! I like those--they show who the kid is! I think the yearbook is grouchy, but not the newspaper.

I just did dd's program for her Scout award--lots of Scout photos, but also one with her horse and one with a wether. Oh, and one shooting black powder. I should probably have put in a skiing one.

I have a really nice camera and do all of our photos. They have been turning out great and Wal-Mart says I need to put a signature on them because they look professional and sometimes employees question if I actually own the art. So I will be doing the Llama photos. I survived "middle ds goes into the forest during Autumn leaf season with the wiggly insane cocker spaniel who is desperate to get loose and chase rabbits" thing and survived, managing between the desperate attempts at escape to get some good photos, so probably some how,some way, I will get at least one shot of Kuzco and youngest boy facing forward at the same time, LOL.

It is going to take some serious horse cookie bribes just to get that animal in a bridle though!

• Like 1

You should have someone video that photo session! It will make you laugh out loud years later.

If you have a real llama halter it really helps--it has an extra strap and it makes it MUCH easier to hang on to them! Another trick--have your ds eat a lot of garlic right beforehand and breathe at the llama. They like the smell and will look towards you--old llama showing trick!

We have the halter. He was a former show llama whom my friend shadowed to go a bit feral with her otherwise llamas now that she is not doing shows. He wanted photos with the horse he trained on, but say dear Moe who turned thirty this past year came down with colic and had a torsion. He was not likely to survive surgery, and if he did, potentially not a good recovery so he was put down. And it happened while we were in Huntsville with the rocket team, and middle ds was at college so they did not get to say goodbye. Moe was my special buddy, my friend's extra special horse so the loss was hard to take. We have middle boy's season senior photos with Moe. Wiggly cocker spaniel was n other the only photo shoot.

Yah...somebody should video tape us luring that llama into the barn, wrangling his "no touchy" attitude into the halter, and then begging and bribing him to act decent enough to get a good picture. Definitely one of those youtube vids that people will laugh hysterically at. Would not want to see the comments.

• Like 1

You should have someone video that photo session! It will make you laugh out loud years later.

If you have a real llama halter it really helps--it has an extra strap and it makes it MUCH easier to hang on to them! Another trick--have your ds eat a lot of garlic right beforehand and breathe at the llama. They like the smell and will look towards you--old llama showing trick!

You know llama showing tricks?!?

I love this board.

• Like 2