Menu

Hulu Live is coming, and then there is Playstation Vue

DawnM

Both of these are new this past year.  I guess Hulu live isn't up and running.

Has anyone tried Playstation Vue?

I am just curious.  It looks like a good alternative to cable.  

Antennas don't work great where we live and of course the channel line up is limited.  We are ok with going over the air only, but if there is something that wouldn't be too expensive I would look into it.

We don't think Sling would suit our needs and we already have Prime and Netflix, although if we opt for Hulu Live, we may ditch Netflix.

If you have tried either of these please weigh in.  Hulu Live would be only in beta testing right now i guess.  I am trying to figure out what devices it will work on.

We currently have Playstation Vue and we had Sling before that. They're basically the same. At the time we switched (about 6 months ago), Playstation Vue had better pause/re-play functions (although pause/rewind is still rudimentary, the ability to save "my shows" is really nice) but I don't know if Sling has matched them on that yet.

At that time, we needed both Sling options to get the sports dh wanted as well as.... something else. The kid channels, maybe? I don't remember. Anyway, Playstation (at less per month for their single plan than the combined cost of the two Sling plans) also had Fox News, and it was election time, so dh was excited to be able to switch between CNN and Fox.

I really like having something like this. It's basically like a very basic cable plan. I get HGTV and Travel for when I'm in the mood for that kind of show.

• Like 1

We have Playstation Vue and it gets a lot of activity in our house.  We had Sling but it was terrible for constantly kicking us out, rebuffering, etc.  Playstation Vue functions much better.  The channels we mostly watch are Discovery, Discovery Science, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network and ID Discovery.  We watch it all through our Roku.   It costs us much less than it would to have cable to get these same channels.  It also gives you the capability to get to the locked content on different channels' apps. 

I think we are going to wait until Hulu Live comes out and then choose. 

It looks like PS Vue won't work with most of our devices (they are older) and that concerns me.  We have older Roku boxes, Apple TV 3, and a Fire Stick.  It looks like the Fire Stick would work but the others won't?????

Son has a PS4 but it is in his room and he hates watching TV.  

I can't seem to find a lineup comparison for Hulu Plus vs. PS Vue.

Youngest wants Disney Channel and Nickelodeon but I don't see Nick on PSV?

DH wants golf channel, and whatever channel gets those car shows (the ones where they fix up old classics), and he likes the Military Channel but I don't think it has that, he says he can go without.

I want A&E and the networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, MeTV)

The other two don't watch TV, although oldest will watch some Japanese Anime some.

Edited by DawnM

We like Playstation Vue much better than Sling. Sling felt sluggish. We like both better than Amazon video which is often blurry when watching. Right now, we have PS Vue and Hulu. I love having no contract!

Edited by Jaz

Ugh.  Looking at Hulu Live it may not be what we want either.  $40 for the service with no recording or fast forwarding.  That will be an additional $20.  That won't save us any $$.

DH and I talked last night and honestly, the only one who is upset is my 13 year old.  He likes Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network shows and a few Disney pre-teen shows.  

So, we are going to go Over the Air only for a while and see how we do.  

All of the options still make us pay for channels we don't want. Years ago when Dawn was giving up Directv we had some discussions about streaming boxes (both on the board and in private). Dh and I ended up cancelling Directv and getting Roku boxes for all our tv's (3). I guess we've learned how to watch without a service because none of the newer services appeal to us - Sling and Hulu Live included. We're still doing fine with Amazon Prime, Netflix. Hulu Plus, and AcornTV. And we still don't pay even close to the cost for cable or satellite. 

I do think these services are better than cable/satellite because they're cheaper with fewer extra unwanted channels. I think cable/satellite companies need to wake up and realize there are many ways to watch tv now and if they don't start offering their customers choices they won't stay competitive. Younger people especially aren't interested in paying for channels they don't watch. My millennial and many of his friends watch mostly YouTube. 

• Like 1