Menu

Project when finishing a literature book

dd is in 3rd grade and loves to read. She reads at least 2 hours daily. That's great, and I'm pleased with her reading level/interest/retention but I feel like when she finishes a book there should be some sense of...closure? Maybe I'm projecting my own reading habits on her, but when I finish a book I like to think about it for a few days. I'm looking for a project of some sort that is not busy work just to help her munch on the book for a few days when she is finished. Any suggestions?

Some things we have done:

- write a letter to one of the characters. Maybe she has some advice to give them, an experience to share?

- do a character sketch - draw and label an illustration of a character using details from the text, then write a paragraph describing some of their non-physical attributes

- write a poem about the story

- come up with an alternate ending or two

- imagine what the story could have been like if the setting was changed (different place, different time period...)

- research the historical setting, then find other stories written in that same setting and compare

-research the author and see if his or her life experiences are reflected in the story

• Like 2

In my early years of homeschooling, I made my oldest do lots of extension activities with books.  She is a voracious reader, but she began to dread these activities. I was then introduced to Julie Bogart of Bravewriter and she mentioned Big Juicy Conversations.  Now we have really rich conversations about books, but very few busy work activities at the completion.  This practice has been such a game changer for our homeschool.  Her thinking and reasoning skills are amazing for her age and I think that comes from all of our great conversations.  I think the extensions activities mentioned above would be really good to use occasionally, but I don't think the traditional follow-up to a novel project are necessary with every book.  

• Like 3

In my early years of homeschooling, I made my oldest do lots of extension activities with books.  She is a voracious reader, but she began to dread these activities. I was then introduced to Julie Bogart of Bravewriter and she mentioned Big Juicy Conversations.  Now we have really rich conversations about books, but very few busy work activities at the completion.  This practice has been such a game changer for our homeschool.  Her thinking and reasoning skills are amazing for her age and I think that comes from all of our great conversations.  I think the extensions activities mentioned above would be really good to use occasionally, but I don't think the traditional follow-up to a novel project are necessary with every book.  

:iagree:

Also agreeing that those are lovely extension ideas provided by lovetolearnandlive and Targhee -- but ONLY to do occasionally. (And you might look at Lit Wits for other creative ideas for extending exploration on a book). Be very very carefully not to crush a love of reading by attaching "school work" and requiring "output" to justify reading every book.  :eek:

At most, in elementary grades, maybe 4 books a year (one per quarter) would be what I'd do extension activities or require "output" about -- and, I'd let the student CHOOSE which book from that quarter. Nothing worse than having someone forcibly require you to turn a favorite book and an enchanted reading experience into school work.  :crying:

Congrats on having a book lover! And BEST of luck in finding what best helps to continue to nurture that love of reading. :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

dd is in 3rd grade and loves to read. She reads at least 2 hours daily. That's great, and I'm pleased with her reading level/interest/retention but I feel like when she finishes a book there should be some sense of...closure? Maybe I'm projecting my own reading habits on her, but when I finish a book I like to think about it for a few days.

I do too. Instead of assigning a project, I often just brought up various thoughts about a book over the next few days and we'd chat a bit. Sometimes the same thing interested my kids--sometimes it was something they'd never thought of. 

"So, the wolves in Wolves of Willoughby Chase don't really seem to play a big role. Who do you think the real wolves were?"

"Why do you think Sing Down the Moon has that title--what does it mean?"

"Why does Pocahontas and the Strangers [bulla] begin and end with the story about the eagle in the snare?"

Sometimes questions led us to re-read sections of a book, and other times, just to remembering and mulling.

• Like 2

Yes! Don't feel like you have to do a project every time. You may find that assignments like those I listed above will help your dd connect with the stories she reads, and they might increase her enjoyment. But if not, I wouldn't push it. Discussion is great, and sometimes so is just letting her read!