Menu

Need an algebra 2 recommendation

My dd & I see the world in different ways.  DD is a global thinker; I am not.   Is there a program out there that:

Allows for self teaching, thus allowing her to go at a pace right for her?

Some what rigorous?

Teaches concepts, not just how to solve the problem?

Teaches whole to parts?

I should also mention dd has a love/hate relationship with math, gets easily distracted when things aren't going well (translated to: I should be able to do math as easily and quickly as my brother), is very artsy/creative but is considering careers in marine biology or natural resources.  Thus, I don't want lack of math or perceived thoughts of  "I am not good at math, don't like math" to limit career choices. I want her prepared to take calculus if and when needed. 

To date we have used Lial's Beginning Algebra & are finishing Jacob's Geometry, 2nd ed.  She has done well getting A's & B's but found Lial's "boring". We are not totally opposed to using Lial's Intermediate Algebra.  

I would also like recommendations on resources or stories showing real life applications using algebra, geometry, or even calculus.  Thank you!

Thanks!  I will look into Derek Owens.

Our non math loving middle dd is taking a class with Derek Owens (DO) this year for her first time. Its been a transformational year in terms of her attitude and confidence. Even though math is still not her favorite subject, she not only tolerates it, but has really been grasping the concepts and doing well. We seriously thought about putting her into another vendor's 'live' class for next Fall. But after reviewing samples with her she practically begged us to stay with DO. That was a real surprise for us since she actually used words such as 'like' and 'math' in the same sentence when referring to her time with DO.   :p  ;)

While not perfect (*I* would like more live interaction), it has definitely been a step in the right direction for her. So we'll see how next year goes. I hope to continue on this positive trajectory as long as we can.

• Like 1

Our non math loving middle dd is taking a class with Derek Owens (DO) this year for her first time. Its been a transformational year in terms of her attitude and confidence. Even though math is still not her favorite subject, she not only tolerates it, but has really been grasping the concepts and doing well. We seriously thought about putting her into another vendor's 'live' class for next Fall. But after reviewing samples with her she practically begged us to stay with DO. That was a real surprise for us since she actually used words such as 'like' and 'math' in the same sentence when referring to her time with DO.   :p  ;)

While not perfect (*I* would like more live interaction), it has definitely been a step in the right direction for her. So we'll see how next year goes. I hope to continue on this positive trajectory as long as we can.

Thanks for the great review!  I have not yet looked at a sample of Derek Owens but am wondering if he is good at explaining the "whys".  DD doesn't want a formula to memorize but wants to know how or why something works.  She wants to "see" which is why she likes geometry better than algebra at this point.

• Like 1