Menu

Helping a student finish credits to graduate....issues...needs to be online...Time4Learning???

I'm helping a friend's son finish credits so he can walk away with a high school diploma. For reasons, a GED will not work, he will not be applying to any colleges in the USA (CC or otherwise). After testing, this student has good oral comprehension, but REALLY has issues with reading and understanding material (I can't address what is being done to help this here and now, there are bigger issues here, right now we just need to finish the diploma).

He needs 0.5 credits in Social Sciences (history or Econ), 1 credit of Sci (general sci is fine, no lab needed), and a pe credit to fulfill minimum CA state standards (I know private schools in CA don't have to follow this, but he will be moving overseas and there are requirements by the consulate who will be certifying the diploma/transcript and they compare it only to the state of CA dept of education web page, long story, no arguing this with them) .

So main question:Would Time4learning history or Econ, health class (towards his PE credit with some hours logged in sports) and a science class work? I know it is interactive, but is there a way to have the material read to you versus silent reading to yourself? This would help immensely with his understanding.

If not this, any other program he could do at his own pace (hopes to finish over the summer) and would provide video/interactive material for these credits (oh, and not tooo $$$$$)?

Something like MobyMax would work (as it reads aloud to you if you need it) but it stops at 8th grade. But the reading level would be perfect actually.

Ideas? Suggestions?

I appreciate all your help, I know I come with some unusual situations/questions  :lol: , but the Hive Mind and all that.............

(PS for posters that recall the single dad with 9th grader and basically no budget, it's going smashingly :hurray: , she is happy and doing well. And he is setting aside $ for 10th grade.)

Silicon Valley online high school

Is exactly what this student needs. Very very inexpensive, accredited, easy to use, they send transcripts, and it's just watch videos or read, take a quiz (you can re take over and over till you get 100), then use the quizzes to study for the test and the test questions are taken straight from

The quizzes.

Only 50.00 per course.

For what you are looking for it's perfect.

• Like 2

Is exactly what this student needs. Very very inexpensive, accredited, easy to use, they send transcripts, and it's just watch videos or read, take a quiz (you can re take over and over till you get 100), then use the quizzes to study for the test and the test questions are taken straight from

The quizzes.

Only 50.00 per course.

In fact history is 100% videos so he doesn't need to read until he takes the quiz! Some of the videos are very entertaining. Some are boring, some are biased but it'll get the job done for this student.

They have Science too. And like I said it's all accredited!

I don't know if they have PE....that might be super tricky...not sure who offers PE

But I THINK SVOHS has a health class so that along with sports might work for PE

Thanks for all the info... So the info in presented all in video format (at least for history)? If so that would be perfect. I don't care about accreditation/transcripts/etc being provided by them as the private school here in CA will provide all that, they just want a plan for credit recovery iykwim. I'm sure they would approve these courses...

The plan was a semester health course combined with a PE log of hours for the PE credit, so that would work fine.

• Like 1

I really recommend SVOHS for this kid.  He can really feel that he accomplished something, and the private school will see an exact plan.  For 200.00 or less, I think it's a great deal and fits the situation perfectly.

And yes the HIstory is all videos.  Of course not when you take hte quizzes or tests.  My son never even needed to take notes on the vidoes.  It all got absorbed pretty well...it's just facts and dates but at least it will stick in his brain.

• Like 1

Acellus is all online.  I wouldn't do T4L, way to much busy work and lots of little bits and pieces, IMO, DSD gets lost on it, never sure if she is finished with a lesson.

Kind of funny but the exact same A-G courses that are approved for Acellus are what the Silicon Valley offers. I know Acellus is used in a lot of public and private schools.... wonder if it's the same?

Edited by foxbridgeacademy
  • Like 1

The quizzes.

Only 50.00 per course.

Not that this is an issue for the OP, but according to the FAQ on their website, they are not actually accredited:

Are you accredited? Not at this time. We provide online courses that traditional schools incorporate into their own curricula. Many of our courses have been approved by the University of California under the A-G program.

• Like 1

Acellus is all online. I wouldn't do T4L, way to much busy work and lots of little bits and pieces, IMO, DSD gets lost on it, never sure if she is finished with a lesson.

Kind of funny but the exact same A-G courses that are approved for Acellus are what the Silicon Valley offers. I know Acellus is used in a lot of public and private schools.... wonder if it's the same?

I know it's not for history. it's a compilation of YouTube videos :)

Acellus is a teacher standing in front of a big screen giving a short (10 minutes) lecture.  there are mini-quizzes after each lecture and there are printable assignments you can pick and choose from (grade yourself).  At the end of each chapter/unit there is a test that can be taken multiple times.  That's it.  It covers everything but I would not use it for Math, no review and not enough practice.

• Like 1

Acellus is a teacher standing in front of a big screen giving a short (10 minutes) lecture.  there are mini-quizzes after each lecture and there are printable assignments you can pick and choose from (grade yourself).  At the end of each chapter/unit there is a test that can be taken multiple times.  That's it.  It covers everything but I would not use it for Math, no review and not enough practice.

Can homeschool students sign up (and pay) for individual courses through Acellus? I looked on their website and didn't see a way to sign up for classes if you're not a school. There's a charter here that DD may use for HS, as they allow homeschoolers to combine home-brewed classes and online classes, but they switched from Acellus to Edgenuity, which has so much pointless busy work I couldn't stand it. 

• Like 1

Can homeschool students sign up (and pay) for individual courses through Acellus? I looked on their website and didn't see a way to sign up for classes if you're not a school. There's a charter here that DD may use for HS, as they allow homeschoolers to combine home-brewed classes and online classes, but they switched from Acellus to Edgenuity, which has so much pointless busy work I couldn't stand it. 

There was talk awhile back about being able to pay for individual courses, $50 each but I don't know what came of it.  The one I'm used to is the monthly option of $30 but they have another option that costs $79 and has real teacher support.  Try joining the FB group of parents, it is/was fairly active.  We'll be using Acellus for DSD next year.  She needs to get done quickly due to some gigantic life changes and IMO Acellus is the absolute quickest and easiest way to do that.

$30/mo option

FYI- we haven't used it in a year or so.... I can't promise it's the exact same they were in the process of some big changes.

Edited by foxbridgeacademy
  • Like 1

I am not trying to disagree with the ACellus suggestion, because I think Acellus is not only a great deal but a good idea.

However, I will say, that while the SVOHS is somewhat boring, and not in depth...at times it can be very entertaining since they use a wide variety of sources.  THe downside is that it greatly suffers in quality.  But the upside is, that it's something different every day, and enjoyable to do.

Whereas, I have watched numerous Acellus videos and I can't think of too many things I have ever seen in my life that were as boring.  

Just a thought...

• Like 2

I am not trying to disagree with the ACellus suggestion, because I think Acellus is not only a great deal but a good idea.

However, I will say, that while the SVOHS is somewhat boring, and not in depth...at times it can be very entertaining since they use a wide variety of sources.  THe downside is that it greatly suffers in quality.  But the upside is, that it's something different every day, and enjoyable to do.

Whereas, I have watched numerous Acellus videos and I can't think of too many things I have ever seen in my life that were as boring.  

Just a thought...

Oh, yeah beyond boring. Personally I'd rather watch grass grow.

• Like 1