Frugalistas April 23-29th

mommyoffive

A new week!  Yay.

Will be a spendy day here

Grocery shopping

Filling up the gas tanks

buying a bike for one of the kids

Making reservations for Europe. 

Just got the info for the dance recitals coming up.   That will be some extra expenses for May.   

I didn't like most of the stuff I ordered from Kohls.com so that will go back.  Stinks.  I hate shopping.

Last couple weeks were spendy and I am scared to even look about this week.

We had a few repairs made to the house, ds birthday, bought a few extra groceries (we were low on stuff) and caught up on some bills we got behind on :blushing:

I know I have some more bills, another birthday coming up and NEED to do some more house repairs. 

I realized this week how much coupling has helped keep our household running these past several months. I have been busy getting my parents' house ready to sell since January. I have not been able to keep track of coupons or sales. However, it wasn't until this week that we started running out of necessary items because we were relying on the stock that I had built up with coupons. Last week, because I don't have a good coupon stash, I hit Costco. I can usually beat Costco prices on most items when I coupon (we have a grocery store here that doubles coupons and sometimes triples). However, without the coupons, the Costco prices on many items come out better. So, I stocked up at Costco. Hopefully I will be able to start gathering coupons sometime this summer. If I can, I should be able to "restock" our house along the way instead of running out of everything. 

Last week, my Costco run included: 

toilet paper

paper towel

paper napkins

Tide pods

La Croix (fantastic price - $7.49 for four six packs as opposed to $4.99 for one six pack at Target)

disposable gloves

Items that weren't well priced that I held off on and picked up elsewhere: 

Ziplock bags

foil 

bar soap

ETA: I picked up a small cabinet as the result of a neighborhood curb alert. I've already sanded it down and I'm going to paint it. I'm not sure if I am going to keep it, try to sell it, or give it away. I don't know if this makes me thrifty or not! I'll have to buy a can of paint for it. So far, I've used $5 worth of sandpaper on it (special size for my sander). 

Edited by TechWife

We had house guests last week, so while I didn't personally spend anything on them, our household kept the local stores and restaurants in business, LOL.  I got a number of meals (including leftovers) out of the deal.  :p  The auntie who invited the house guests kindly bought my kids the running shoes I'd been planning to buy, so that surely saved me a bunch of $$.

We had to call a plumber to look at a leak.  He also kindly installed the water pipe to our new fridge.  He charged $125, which I felt was quite reasonable given how long he was there (and how much toilet water he came in contact with).  Unfortunately that is just the beginning, as I learned the leak (from a toilet) has been ongoing and rotting away the floor in one of our bathrooms.  We had the bathrooms re-floored a couple years ago and their workmanship was probably why this happened, so now we will try to get them to fix it at no charge, but I don't know if that will actually happen.

Tax day - we won't discuss tax day.  I have no control over that.

I did break my nose on tax day though.  I am engaged in self-healing at the moment.  :p  Free and of questionable value.  :p

Medical stuff - took the kids to the developmental optometrist and got new prescriptions; hope to fill them this coming week.  I need to run the exam through my insurance and see what they cover.  Also took the kids for a well visit / to establish care, but that's included (no copay) under our insurance.  For me, I got my cardiac stress test, which is unlikely to be free.  :p

$330 for 3 days of horse / farm camp over the kids' break.  I also signed up for summer gymnastics classes.  I think this summer (for sports) we will just do gymnastics, horse riding, and TKD (already paid for until we are black belts).

I got a refund for summer chess camp.  Honestly I was glad when they told me the class was canceled for that week.  It should be easier to teach the kids chess myself than to figure out the logistics of a half-day camp.  If I run a comparison of this summer vs. last summer, I'm sure I will come out way ahead this summer ... but I'm afraid to even know what I spent last summer, LOL.  BUT.  On that point, I should at least document the camps that were comparable to "daycare," since those are supposed to be tax deductible.  Need to get to work on that ....

My kids have finally fallen in love with bike riding, and that means they are able to go places on their own.  I am going to start having them run errands on their bikes as time allows.  Not that it's going to save a ton in the short run, but a mobile kid is a useful thing to have.  :)

Next week I am looking at a 5K walk/run fundraiser for a local girl who's had a severe medical crisis.  Also my kids are signed up to do a fundraiser at church the following day.  I am sure these will involve some financial input on my part.  :p  All toward a good cause.  :)

Edited by SKL
  • Like 1

Well, we dropped most of our rainy-day fund on fees for dh to take the CA bar in July, plus to pay for an online prep course for it.  It's a little scary to see our savings go like that with unemployment and a move looming on the horizon, but after careful consideration we believe this is the right plan.

I have added watching my extra preschooler's little sister to the mix on the two days each week when she comes, so those days are pretty crazy trying to do school with six kids between the ages of eight and two, but it is good to earn a little extra money to work on rebuilding that fund.

We had house guests last week, so while I didn't personally spend anything on them, our household kept the local stores and restaurants in business, LOL.  I got a number of meals (including leftovers) out of the deal.  :p  The auntie who invited the house guests kindly bought my kids the running shoes I'd been planning to buy, so that surely saved me a bunch of $$.

We had to call a plumber to look at a leak.  He also kindly installed the water pipe to our new fridge.  He charged $125, which I felt was quite reasonable given how long he was there (and how much toilet water he came in contact with).  Unfortunately that is just the beginning, as I learned the leak (from a toilet) has been ongoing and rotting away the floor in one of our bathrooms.  We had the bathrooms re-floored a couple years ago and their workmanship was probably why this happened, so now we will try to get them to fix it at no charge, but I don't know if that will actually happen.

Tax day - we won't discuss tax day.  I have no control over that.

I did break my nose on tax day though.  I am engaged in self-healing at the moment.  :p  Free and of questionable value.  :p

Medical stuff - took the kids to the developmental optometrist and got new prescriptions; hope to fill them this coming week.  I need to run the exam through my insurance and see what they cover.  Also took the kids for a well visit / to establish care, but that's included (no copay) under our insurance.  For me, I got my cardiac stress test, which is unlikely to be free.  :p

$330 for 3 days of horse / farm camp over the kids' break.  I also signed up for summer gymnastics classes.  I think this summer (for sports) we will just do gymnastics, horse riding, and TKD (already paid for until we are black belts).

I got a refund for summer chess camp.  Honestly I was glad when they told me the class was canceled for that week.  It should be easier to teach the kids chess myself than to figure out the logistics of a half-day camp.  If I run a comparison of this summer vs. last summer, I'm sure I will come out way ahead this summer ... but I'm afraid to even know what I spent last summer, LOL.  BUT.  On that point, I should at least document the camps that were comparable to "daycare," since those are supposed to be tax deductible.  Need to get to work on that ....

My kids have finally fallen in love with bike riding, and that means they are able to go places on their own.  I am going to start having them run errands on their bikes as time allows.  Not that it's going to save a ton in the short run, but a mobile kid is a useful thing to have.  :)

Next week I am looking at a 5K walk/run fundraiser for a local girl who's had a severe medical crisis.  Also my kids are signed up to do a fundraiser at church the following day.  I am sure these will involve some financial input on my part.  :p  All toward a good cause.  :)

Can you tell me how that works?   I am a SAHM would that even work to deduct for me?  Or is it only if I am working? 

Can you tell me how that works?   I am a SAHM would that even work to deduct for me?  Or is it only if I am working? 

That's a good question.  I honestly don't know, but there is probably lots of info on irs.gov re what the requirements are.

From what I recall based on what I was told, you can deduct it if you used it for child care so you could work.  Many of my camps wouldn't work - like the half-day arts camps, or the sleep-away camps.  But the full-time week-long day camps would probably work.

I got this info from a CPA who knows I'm a single working mom.  So he didn't give me the info on what qualifies for a two-parent family with a SAHM.  I have never looked it up for myself.  So far I haven't been organized enough to gather the info to take this deduction at all.  I would have to (a) find the payments I made last Winter / Spring, (b) decide which camps qualify, and © contact the camps for their tax ID numbers, and I just never felt up to it.  :P

Speaking of camps, I really need to register for the June culture camp, which finally put up its registration form.  I always make a donation to this camp to cover scholarships for 2 additional kids who can't afford it.  This year it will probably come close to $1,000 all-in.

Because of my high anxiety levels and to a lesser extent dh's over this whole job process we decided to eat lunch at our favorite restaurant. We usually don't take the kids because it is expensive but we just felt like being together as a family enjoying our favorite restaurant. $80 and I don't regret a thing.

Aside from gas and groceries this week I have 4 bday gifts to purchase. It'll be about $80 once I figure out what everyone is getting.

Because of my high anxiety levels and to a lesser extent dh's over this whole job process we decided to eat lunch at our favorite restaurant. We usually don't take the kids because it is expensive but we just felt like being together as a family enjoying our favorite restaurant. $80 and I don't regret a thing.

Aside from gas and groceries this week I have 4 bday gifts to purchase. It'll be about $80 once I figure out what everyone is getting.

Not regretting things is good.

I am glad you enjoyed the treat.  

That's a good question.  I honestly don't know, but there is probably lots of info on irs.gov re what the requirements are.

From what I recall based on what I was told, you can deduct it if you used it for child care so you could work.  Many of my camps wouldn't work - like the half-day arts camps, or the sleep-away camps.  But the full-time week-long day camps would probably work.

I got this info from a CPA who knows I'm a single working mom.  So he didn't give me the info on what qualifies for a two-parent family with a SAHM.  I have never looked it up for myself.  So far I haven't been organized enough to gather the info to take this deduction at all.  I would have to (a) find the payments I made last Winter / Spring, (b) decide which camps qualify, and © contact the camps for their tax ID numbers, and I just never felt up to it.  :p

Thanks.  I guess I will give my CPA a call.

Maybe I could just get a summer job?  :)

That would be huge to deduct all the camps though.  It would make some of their costs not seem so bad. 

Did all the shopping yesterday.  May stop and get a few more things.  We have such a huge stockpile of food. 

Bought the bike for my DS.  I saved over 300 bucks and it is in great shape!  Only a year old.  Great score and I am so happy about it.  Yay. 

All that talk about summer camps got me looking again for a late summer option.  I found one and signed up.  :P  I did refrain from signing up for a few other ones though.  (Some of which I should bookmark for next year.)

Figure I saved money by signing up for the arts camp, which will be cheaper than the horse camp they would otherwise have attended those mornings.  :P  But now I have to figure out a way to get them picked up in the middle of the work day (it's a half-day camp).

All that talk about summer camps got me looking again for a late summer option.  I found one and signed up.  :p  I did refrain from signing up for a few other ones though.  (Some of which I should bookmark for next year.)

Figure I saved money by signing up for the arts camp, which will be cheaper than the horse camp they would otherwise have attended those mornings.  :p  But now I have to figure out a way to get them picked up in the middle of the work day (it's a half-day camp).

I am so jealous of your camps that are already posted.   Maybe half the options that I am waiting for haven't posted things yet..... 

I hate that.  I want to be able to plan.

To choose which ones before some fill up.  Some early discounts are over already or this week.  

Didn't you have someone drive the girls last year?  Can that work this year ?

I am so jealous of your camps that are already posted.   Maybe half the options that I am waiting for haven't posted things yet..... 

I hate that.  I want to be able to plan.

To choose which ones before some fill up.  Some early discounts are over already or this week.  

Didn't you have someone drive the girls last year?  Can that work this year ?

The camps in this area start filling up in January / February, so I had to lock some of them in.  Now some new ones have opened that I would have signed up for if I hadn't already locked in something else.  I was especially looking for some late-summer academic review camps, and now there is one, but my kid is already scheduled for a sleep-away camp that week.  :/

Last year I had a company employee drive my kids when they had part-time camps.  That employee has moved on.  So I will have to look into other options.  Maybe I'll find someone to drive them.  But this year most of the camps are full-time day camps, so I should not have a ton of really inconvenient driving.

The worst is the June camp that starts late and ends early.  It's at a time when, this year, I'll be working on two massive work deadlines.  But it's not a camp I am willing to skip.  So we'll see.  My sister recently lost her job, so if she is still unemployed at that time, I may ask her to help.  Or maybe I'll be so ahead on my work, it won't matter.  Ha!  Right.  :P

We bought 6 pairs of boots for me and a pair of shoes for DS11 during Nordstrom Rack's weekend boot sale. We paid less than $110 after tax for 7 pairs of shoes. Two of my winter boots cost $10 each before tax which is cheaper than re-soling my old boots.

Can you tell me how that works? I am a SAHM would that even work to deduct for me? Or is it only if I am working?

If you are working for someone, you can claim child care credit for childcare within working hours. For example a WAHM journalist friend works three days a week for a local magazine so she claims babysitting costs during those working hours under child care credit. She can't claim for working on her non-working days.

Another friend is self employed so child care is filed under business expense but a tax accountant handles her tax since her ex-husband owes her child support money for years.

From IRS

"The care must have been provided for one or more qualifying persons. A qualifying person is your dependent child age 12 or younger when the care was provided. Additionally, your spouse and certain other individuals who are physically or mentally incapable of self-care may also be qualifying persons. You must identify each qualifying person on your tax return."

"You – and your spouse if you file jointly – must have earned income from wages, salaries, tips, other taxable employee compensation or net earnings from self-employment. One spouse may be considered as having earned income if they were a full-time student or were physically or mentally unable to care for themselves."

https://www.irs.gov/uac/ten-things-to-know-about-the-child-and-dependent-care-credit

I found $0.26 on the ground, LOL.

I was cleaning out the little zippered bag that I use for my credit and debit cards and found a dollar bill stuffed in there. Yeah, I know it was my money all along but it felt like found money.   It's funny how little things like that make me happy. 

• Like 2

I'm still a ball of anxiety waiting to hear about this job but dh got paid today so I kind of had to pay attention so I could pay bills. It seems we are pretty much on track. Savings slowed down a bit because we had 4 birthdays and 2 weddings to get gifts for. But we were still able to put $200 into savings so I'm happy. Next month I have some pet sitting jobs that will go straight into savings.

I'm still a ball of anxiety waiting to hear about this job but dh got paid today so I kind of had to pay attention so I could pay bills. It seems we are pretty much on track. Savings slowed down a bit because we had 4 birthdays and 2 weddings to get gifts for. But we were still able to put $200 into savings so I'm happy. Next month I have some pet sitting jobs that will go straight into savings.

Sending some good thoughts his way.

Adding to savings after all those extra expenses is awesome.

I told my boss I was never again going to take a long lunch just to save them money in overtime!!!! I spent almost $500 during said lunch!! $340 on my car (it needed all of it), $100 at Aldi, $20 on a haircut for myself (VERY much needed!), and $27 on lunch. Blahhh!

Argh!

Those are how are weekends are sometimes.