Menu

Need Latin translation for old records!

Kathryn

I need help with these hundred-year-old records from Slovakia that are in Latin.

I am specifically looking at the fifth person down here: Joannes, born July 4, baptized July 5. The index says his parents are Severinus Sztrczula and Catherina Feranecz. I see those names in the first column of the right-hand page. Who are the people two columns over, are they the godparents? Can anyone translate Joannes' whole row for me?

1896-07-05SterculaJohnBaptismRecord.jpg

Here, I am looking at the fifth row down, Maria, born 12 Sept 1898, baptized 18 Sept. Index says her parents are Daniel Loffay and Ludmilla Sztrczula. Again, I see those names in the first column of the right-hand page. But, two columns over, I see Severinus Sztrczula and Catherina Feranecz. How are they related to Maria? What is that column? Can you tell me what her whole row says?

1898-09-18LofayMariaBaptismRecord.jpg

I am trying to figure this out for a third cousin. These two people, Joannes Sztrczula and Maria Loffay ended up marrying each other in Pennsylvania. So, I'm interested how they relate since Joannes' parents show up in Maria's baptismal record (and those of her siblings before they immigrated and then different names show up in that column).

I am guessing that column is for godparents, but I don't want to tell my cousin that and be wrong.

Thanks!

ETA if the resolution isn't good enough on here, here they are in a dropbox folder:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9gy1ybefdzqyb6t/1896-07-05SterculaJohnBaptismRecord.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8vj7izs1p82tmos/1898-09-18LofayMariaBaptismRecord.jpg?dl=0

Edited by Kathryn

I need help with these hundred-year-old records from Slovakia that are in Latin.

I am specifically looking at the fifth person down here: Joannes, born July 4, baptized July 5. The index says his parents are Severinus Sztrczula and Catherina Feranecz. I see those names in the first column of the right-hand page. Who are the people two columns over, are they the godparents? Can anyone translate Joannes' whole row for me?

I find the handwriting hard to read, but the columns are

Annus et Dies (Year and Day)  

Nomen (Name)  

Masc(uline)

Fem(inine)

Legitimate 

Illegitimate

Name & Surname of their parents, condition and religion

Place of residence with house number

Name & Surname of their godparents, condition and religion

• Like 1