Menu

SOTW question!

MommaOfalotta

Looking ahead to next year and my dd will be starting fifth grade and DS will be starting K. DD is due to begin the SOTW rotation over again so we will be doing Ancients.

My question is should I include ds or wait until he's in first?

Pros: both kids in the same book in the same year from here on. Not having one kid in middle ages and one starting in ancients (next year)

Cons: he'll only be in K and so far we have done very little formal lessons. And by very little I mean VERY. LITTLE.

Baby #3 will be here before the school year begins so I'm just trying to keep it simple.

Any thoughts?

PS sorry if anything is wonky. I'm posting from my phone.

I had high hopes for my kids studying the same science and history at the beginning of the year (I have 1 in K and 1 in 5th) but it turns out my kindergartener just didn't have the attention span for it. I ended up focusing on the 3 R's and fitting sci/SS into the occasional unit study. 

It won't hurt to give it a try and see how he handles it, but if it were me, I'd probably just skip it or let him sit in the room and color or play with playdoh or something while reading aloud to the older, then start on book 2 in 1st. It'll be a little out of order, but as long as you get back to the 1st one in the rotation your DS won't be missing anything.

I'd include him. At that age, including him means him listening, maybe answering comprehension questions, and doing a one-sentence narration that you write down on his binder.

That worked for my kids. If it doesn't for yours, cut out the bits that don't.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Agree with everyone else. When my mdd officially started in 1st grade we were up to SOTW3. So that is where her official rotation started. Before that she colored, went to museum exhibits, watched videos, played games, did dress up, listened to picture books. She got back to SOTW1 as a 3rd grader and SOTW2 as a 4th grader and then started the logic stage in renaissance-explorers again, and so forth. 

I would include him.  We included my kinders.  If he's pre-writing, he can still enjoy the coloring pages while listening to the chapters, participate in hands-on activities (of which there are many in Ancients and in Medieval), and narrate to you anything that catches his attention.  Even very simple one-sentence narrations could be spoken by him and written by you.

It's working great for us to have our youngest, who is in Kindergarten, tag along with SOTW. We are in Medieval. I give him the coloring sheet from the Activity Guide, and he sometimes colors it while I read, and sometimes just pops his little thumb in his mouth and listens intently. He loves the story line, and participates in the review questions and activities, and we choose lots of story books that go along with our history period to read in addition to SOTW. Anyway, I would totally recommend combining. :)

ETA: Something fun that I did this year in combination with SOTW was to purchase toys that shared the theme we were studying--this year it was lots of castles and such--for something hands on to play with while we read. I was surprised, though, that most of the time this particular kid of mine listens best while doing nothing at all, and seems very happy.

Edited by coastalfam

My younger kids have jumped in on their own by age 4, so I think having a K-er do it would be fine. My current K-er can answer many of the study guide questions surprisingly well.

Remember, with young children you can do history slightly out of order or stretch the 4 year cycle out much longer and it's still so much more exposure than they would get in public school. (especially early elementary)

Edited by kesmom

My kindergartner has really enjoyed SOTW this year. He listens to the read alouds, does the color pages and maps, and jumps into some of the projects. We don't do formal narration but just discuss it together instead.