Menu

Royal Fireworks Philosophy Curriclucum by Sharon Kaye

MasaMama

We used the kindergarten and 3rd grade levels this year.  They were very fun; however, they didn't last long.  There's definitely not enough content for even close to an entire school year, but it can temporarily fill a rotating subject slot quite nicely.  I have a STEM background, so we learned and thought deep thoughts together.  Yes, it's easy to implement.  It's very much like MCT in that you just read a story together and discuss after or as you go along.  There are some little, optional activities that go along with each chapter too.

My kids love these books.  I've noticed my 9yo asking different kinds of questions than he used to before reading Xperiment.  My 5yo snuck into my office to steal Question Mark to finish reading on his own.  I'd say that means he liked it, lol.  Overall, I'm pleased with the purchase, and I plan to buy the next levels to use next year as well.  

• Like 2

We used the kindergarten and 3rd grade levels this year.  They were very fun; however, they didn't last long.  There's definitely not enough content for even close to an entire school year, but it can temporarily fill a rotating subject slot quite nicely.  I have a STEM background, so we learned and thought deep thoughts together.  Yes, it's easy to implement.  It's very much like MCT in that you just read a story together and discuss after or as you go along.  There are some little, optional activities that go along with each chapter too.

My kids love these books.  I've noticed my 9yo asking different kinds of questions than he used to before reading Xperiment.  My 5yo snuck into my office to steal Question Mark to finish reading on his own.  I'd say that means he liked it, lol.  Overall, I'm pleased with the purchase, and I plan to buy the next levels to use next year as well.  

Thank you so much! We enjoy MCT, so I think we might like the philosophy curriculum. I like that it provokes different kinds of questions and thinking, even though the curriculum seems very gentle. I think I will go ahead and try "Theo Rising".

• Like 1

I bought Mark and Theo for my kid going into first.

I take it I should order them all for the year if they go that quick?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

You could comfortably do 3-4 levels in one year without any rushing, working on it just 1-2 days per week.  Each level could be done in under 3 weeks if you scheduled it every day.  However, from the books I've seen, it appears that the content becomes more mature as you move through the levels.  They're written with certain age groups as the audience, so it doesn't seem like it would be beneficial to work much out of level.  

• Like 2

You could comfortably do 3-4 levels in one year without any rushing, working on it just 1-2 days per week. Each level could be done in under 3 weeks if you scheduled it every day. However, from the books I've seen, it appears that the content becomes more mature as you move through the levels. They're written with certain age groups as the audience, so it doesn't seem like it would be beneficial to work much out of level.

Mine are 6 & 4. Would you buy it for the 6 year old now, or wait and combine them?

Mine are 6 & 4. Would you buy it for the 6 year old now, or wait and combine them?

Whatever floats your boat.  I think it just depends on the kids and your situation.  

If they are not too far apart in ability, you might find it easier to combine them and save yourself some time.  You could read it through with both and then tailor the discussion to each individual child.  

OTOH, if they are at fairly different levels and/or you aren't feeling particularly pressed for time, kids always benefit from 1-on-1 instruction.  SK philosophy doesn't take much time to implement.  It's basically like adding in a structured read-aloud.  

You could also focus on your 6yo now with your 4yo tagging along, then repeat with the 4yo in a couple of years.  I'll say too, that these books seem like they'd be worth going through more than once.  The child asks different questions and interprets the story differently as they get older.  My 9yo's reaction to what he heard of Question Mark was very different than my 5yo's.  Their distinctive responses showed the difference between their respective pools of experiences.

• Like 3