Menu

What's with the ads?

LauraBeth475

3rd and 4th grade literature

Roughly how many books would you expect a 3rd and 4th grader who are strong readers to work through in a year of reading and literature? I realize it's going to vary a lot, but I'm trying to get my plans into the right ballpark.

We do 30 min of silent Reading regardless each day. But they only need to "respond" to three books per year.... write a paragraph(s) telling what the book was about or if they liked it and why.

• Like 1

Well, that depends on the length and difficulty of the books they read, doesn't it? I'd say somewhere between a book a month and a book a week is a reasonable expectation.

• Like 2

Our plan for 3rd grade next year is around 15 books, plus a month on poetry. Some books we will read together and some he will read on his own. (He currently reads on a 5th/6th grade level.)

This year, he will have read 15 books, plus spent a month on Shakespeare (mostly listening to audiobooks for this part).

I aim for a book a month, with some extras for flexibility and choice...

basically we just have a continuous book list that keeps growing :rofl:

I don't generally make them 'do' anything, beyond talking to me about the book and putting it in a reading log, until about grade 5.