Menu

Dr. Hive: Anyone have pain from stomach acid or stomach ulcers?

wintermom

I'm trying to figure out the cause of my stomach pain. I've been having the symptoms on and off for years, but for the past 3 days they've been much worse and almost non-stop. It feels like a fist is wedged in my gut just under the solar plexus. There is pain both before and after eating. Sitting is much more uncomfortable than standing or laying flat.  

The atacid meds (pantoprazole) doesn't do much, but my double strength Reactin had been pretty effective. I'm getting blood work done, but in the meantime I'm not eating much and experiencing discomfort. Exercising is actually pleasant, because it doesn't hurt any more than otherwise, and it distracts me from the pain. 

Anyone have any experience with this or something similar?

I'm currently waiting on an endoscopy with a possible ulcer. Yes, it feels like a rock is pushing in all directions my abdomen, plus a bunch of needle-like pain, sometimes sharp enough to skip a breath or two.

Sitting and walking for any length of time triggers nausea. Like, not functioning, go to bed and try not to cry nausea.

I'm not eating much either. I've thrown up every dinner but dry cereal and crackers this week.

Dr. ran a gallbladder ultrasound and HIDA scan first to rule that out.

ETA: I'd probably be better off if I didn't try to have a little coffee or soda in the morning, but then I'd have a headache and bite my kids' heads off and still feel like crap in the evenings. I did finally have to give it up a few days ago. I don't feel better, just not worse. Blargh.

Edited by BarbecueMom

I'm currently waiting on an endoscopy with a possible ulcer. Yes, it feels like a rock is pushing in all directions my abdomen, plus a bunch of needle-like pain, sometimes sharp enough to skip a breath or two.

Sitting and walking for any length of time triggers nausea. Like, not functioning, go to bed and try not to cry nausea.

I'm not eating much either. I've thrown up every dinner but dry cereal and crackers this week.

Dr. ran a gallbladder ultrasound and HIDA scan first to rule that out.

ETA: I'd probably be better off if I didn't try to have a little coffee or soda in the morning, but then I'd have a headache and bite my kids' heads off and still feel like crap in the evenings. I did finally have to give it up a few days ago. I don't feel better, just not worse. Blargh.

Oh dear. That sounds worse than mine. I really hope you get some relief soon.  :grouphug:

How are you laying down? Do you get any relief then? I'm better laying down, but as soon as I sit up the pressure is painful again. Ugg.

I'm wondering about cutting out coffee as well. My friend had an ulcer in her 20s and hasn't had coffee since. I'm not happy about the prospect of giving it up, but I'd do it to get rid of this pain. 

Edited by wintermom

Oh dear. That sounds worse than mine. I really hope you get some relief soon. :grouphug:

How are you laying down? Do you get any relief then? I'm better laying down, but as soon as I sit up the pressure is painful again. Ugg.

I'm propped up against 3 pillows in my bed right now. If I sit up completely it feels like, maybe TMI, all of my digestive organs are compacting, like Black Friday shoppers at Walmart trying to get in a single door. Which isn't open, lol. Completely flat, reflux acts up, pain radiates toward my back, nausea and gurgling kicks up several notches. The sort of half-laying down thing is the most comfortable, but I can still feel it.

This has been going on for almost four months, but really cranked up the past two weeks. It was just annoying until the vomiting started. Now I'm mad.

• Like 1

Mine isn't that bad, but I have to watch my diet.

No:

Watermelon

Coffee

NSAIDs

Bell Pepper

Limit:

Tomato

Blueberry

Lemon

Orange juice

I always have tums or pepto handy.

I was wondering about diet as well. I already have a lot of oral allergies, and figured that the pain was allergy related. Especially since my reactin was helping with the pain. It isn't working as much now, so I'll try to weed out certain foods and drink and see if there is an improvement.

Have you noticed any meat that causes more problem, such as pork or beef?

At least pregnancy has an end date and a cute baby causing the discomfort. I'm half convinced the endoscopy will show not an ulcer, but an alien set to hatch from my abdomen.

No kidding! This pain is simply pain. No cute baby to look forward to. I was envisioning some kind of alien myself trapped in my belly.  :laugh:

I just recovered from an ulcer.  Pain...mmmm that's the understatement of the century.

Sorry you had to deal with this. How did you deal with your ulcer? Did you require surgery? Have you altered your diet since things have cleared up (assuming they've cleared up)?

I may never be able to go off the PPIs, but he told me to white knuckle it for 2 weeks.  After my final exam I'm going completely off (I'm down to 15 mg).  The rebound flux might be super super bad.  If it is at all possible for me to go off that'll get better, he said, after about 2 weeks.  If not, then not.  There is nothing I can do about that. 

But the ulcer thing.  The high dose was to give my stomach a break from the acid to let it heal.  I was in a lot of pain.  Laying in bed at night was the worst.  It was pretty terrible.  I think the pain even radiated down through my legs.  Pain pain pain...that's the number one symptom.

I was wondering about diet as well. I already have a lot of oral allergies, and figured that the pain was allergy related. Especially since my reactin was helping with the pain. It isn't working as much now, so I'll try to weed out certain foods and drink and see if there is an improvement.

Have you noticed any meat that causes more problem, such as pork or beef?

That is interesting because I also have oral allergies! It makes life hard because a whole lot of healthy foods hurt my mouth, throat, ears, or stomach. Oh, and I get migraines from peanuts and chia. 🙄

If I'm sensitive to meat, I haven't noticed. It's mostly highly acidic food. Soda also doesn't bother me, for whatever reason.

• Like 1

Doc put me on a super high dose of PPIs. He didn't tell me to alter my diet. Took close to 3 months to get better. Now I'm weaning off the PPIs.

Did they test for H Pylori or do a round of antibiotics with the PPI? The strange thing is that I always feel so, so much better for about 3 weeks after needing antibiotics for something else. Then I slide back into constant nausea. I was kinda hoping they'd do the abx + PPI thing without the scope, but I'm guessing because of my history I have to go through the whole shebang. And not wanting to do the whole prescribe abx willy-nilly thing.

• Like 1

I have the same thing going on. Also felt yuck for years, but had gotten much worse lately. The pain was every time I ate, but the fist radiating to the back came and went. Kept me up many nights and I almost went to the ER once. (Probably should have, but really, who wants to do that?) Dr has ruled out gallstones and I had an h-pylori test that I have to go back for next week. A friend suggested celiacs, so I'm going to ask about that when I go in next. I will say, it has gotten so much better doing the Whole30 elimination diet. I have felt great. I did have one attack about 2 weeks in, but nothing since. Perhaps try changing your diet? I don't know. Hoping we all find answers soon! Dr Google seems to say that all the symptoms for all the abdominal issues are the same. So, that's going to be fun trying to figure things out. 

• Like 1

Did they test for H Pylori or do a round of antibiotics with the PPI? The strange thing is that I always feel so, so much better for about 3 weeks after needing antibiotics for something else. Then I slide back into constant nausea. I was kinda hoping they'd do the abx + PPI thing without the scope, but I'm guessing because of my history I have to go through the whole shebang. And not wanting to do the whole prescribe abx willy-nilly thing.

No they didn't, but I was on antibiotics 2 times within 6 months prior.  The same antibiotics I would have taken if I had it.  So that didn't seem likely since nothing had changed with the pain.  He believes it was from taking too much Ibuprofen. 

No they didn't, but I was on antibiotics 2 times within 6 months prior. The same antibiotics I would have taken if I had it. So that didn't seem likely since nothing had changed with the pain. He believes it was from taking too much Ibuprofen.

Ah ok, makes sense if they could trace it back to the NSAIDs. I haven't taken anything but Tylenol for pain in a few years, so that can't be the cause.

I'm still going with the alien host theory for now. Might as well.

• Like 2

Ah ok, makes sense if they could trace it back to the NSAIDs. I haven't taken anything but Tylenol for pain in a few years, so that can't be the cause.

I'm still going with the alien host theory for now. Might as well.

It certainly felt like an alien host sometimes.  LOL

There were moments I was feeling very low about it.  The pain is brutal.  I am feeling a lot better these days though!

• Like 1

Popping in with my 2 cents worth.  I have a hietal hierna so opening to esophagus from stomach to throat open to acids.  Stomach discomfort, bloating, all that good stuff affected by what I eat and drink.  Soda's, caffeine in any form including tea. Can't stand coffee anymore and although enjoy teas, hot tea gives me re-flux.  I have all kinds of food sensitivities.  Wheat and corn, plus a few weird ones like onions.  Once I changed my diet, plus did a clean out the cupboard thing of all hydrogenated oil type foods, it helped tremendously.  It helped when I lost 5 pounds too and didn't feel like I had a brick pushing into my lungs. I'm still on the omeprazole and hope at some point to wean myself off because it's been years.  However, I don't want to give up all spicy foods  or other wonderful foods that aren't so wonderful for us.  Anyway, a while back we did the Andrew Weil  anti inflammatory diet which helped alot. Except I discovered wheat bread and brown rice don't sit so well with me.  

So yes, a change in diet will be necessary.   Although, have you been checked for diverticulitis?   My hubby has it and has to avoid all nuts and even lettuce which irritates as well. Little pockets form in your intestines and get inflamed and the pain is major.  

Hope you find relief soon!  

• Like 1

Have they tested you for H Pylori? That does not require the scope.

If it's positive, they should prescribe the triple therapy first and see if it helps.

Have they tested you for H Pylori? That does not require the scope.

If it's positive, they should prescribe the triple therapy first and see if it helps.

I've been tested twice before, both negative. I might ask if they can do the test again before scheduling another scope. I also have a hiatal hernia. GI doc didn't seem that concerned, but obviously something isn't working right.

It makes me feel crazy because I feel fine, 90% of the time, during daylight. Then about 4:00-5:00pm hits and suddenly I want to rip my own intestinal tract out. And if I eat anything, my body tries to help me accomplish that. Argh.

I've had ulcers since I was a little kid, along with reflux and a hiatal hernia. Most medications no longer work for me. I drink aloe vera juice diluted in water every day when I have flare ups. Usually after 2 weeks my symptoms are gone. I do need to be careful with my diet and limit caffeine, carbonated drinks, and highly acidic foods.

• Like 1

I've had ulcers since I was a little kid, along with reflux and a hiatal hernia. Most medications no longer work for me. I drink aloe vera juice diluted in water every day when I have flare ups. Usually after 2 weeks my symptoms are gone. I do need to be careful with my diet and limit caffeine, carbonated drinks, and highly acidic foods.

That's great you can mostly control things through diet.  Do you know what causes the flare ups?

• Like 1

Dark chocolate in the morning is really helping with the lack of coffee.  :D

I woke up with my pain shifted down lower; from the solar plexus region down a few inches to just above the belly button. Weird.  :confused1:  I've never had it there before.

I have a long history of GERD and it always feels like a burning pain to me. I spent years chewing Tums all the time, which I later read, can actually make stomach acid issues worse over time. It got so bad several years ago, when I was at my highest weight ever, that I was having these painful "attacks" at night and would wake up in pain so bad I would spend a few hours laying on the living room floor on my left side praying for it to pass, and I would usually end up vomiting a lot and then eventually feel better. It started happening more and more frequently so I drastically changed my diet, out of fear of being in that much pain. I started eating only a few, very bland things each day, like plain oatmeal with some sliced banana, apples, lean meats, and veggies. I avoided wheat and dairy to see if that was an issue for me, and anything fatty or acidic. I ate small portions and chewed my food very well and didn't eat for 3 hours before bedtime. I drank a lot of ginger tea. I avoided tomatoes, strawberries, chocolate, coffee, alcohol, fatty foods, citrus fruits, and peppermint. That got it under control, and I lost about 20 pounds.

After that I slowly added food back in. I was on a PPI for a couple of years and was finally able to take myself off it. The best I was ever at, as far as my GERD, was last year when I ate extremely "clean" for body building reasons, and I ate tons of veggies and lean protein and very little sugar. I've been off PPIs for a year or two now and I've noticed if I don't eat enough veggies I start having GERD issues again. I think the vegetable enzymes help a lot with digestion. Triggers may be different for everyone, but alcohol, chocolate, and strawberries are big ones for me. Also, not drinking enough water. I've learned now that if I start having symptoms, drinking a lot of water helps.

I've been to a gastroenterologist and had an endoscopy. I didn't have H Pylori.

• Like 2

I may never be able to go off the PPIs, but he told me to white knuckle it for 2 weeks.  After my final exam I'm going completely off (I'm down to 15 mg).  The rebound flux might be super super bad.  If it is at all possible for me to go off that'll get better, he said, after about 2 weeks.  If not, then not.  There is nothing I can do about that. 

But the ulcer thing.  The high dose was to give my stomach a break from the acid to let it heal.  I was in a lot of pain.  Laying in bed at night was the worst.  It was pretty terrible.  I think the pain even radiated down through my legs.  Pain pain pain...that's the number one symptom.

Just a question for you, or others who have taken PPIs, did they make you constipated (or were you ever constipated during the time you were suffering with the ulcer)?  If so, what helped relieve that? I've been eating beans to keep up my protein levels and help with the constipation, but I'm getting extra gas build up which doesn't help the pain. I could try another form of fibre, like Metamucil, and see if it's any better. 

I'm on the edge of being under-weight, and I'm still able to be really active. I can't afford to lose too much weight, or other bad things could start happening to my body. It's the sitting, especially sitting in the car, where I'm the most uncomfortable. 

Edited by wintermom

Just a question for you, or others who have taken PPIs, did they make you constipated (or were you ever constipated during the time you were suffering with the ulcer)?  If so, what helped relieve that? I've been eating beans to keep up my protein levels and help with the constipation, but I'm getting extra gas build up which doesn't help the pain. I could try another form of fibre, like Metamucil, and see if it's any better. 

I'm on the edge of being under-weight, and I'm still able to be really active. I can't afford to lose too much weight, or other bad things could start happening to my body. 

No they didn't.  They tend to cause just the opposite problem (which I did not have either). 

I eat so many fibrous foods that if I were constipated...oh lordy I'd be concerned.  I'd probably have to use something drastic or find out what the deal is. 

• Like 1

No they didn't.  They tend to cause just the opposite problem (which I did not have either). 

I eat so many fibrous foods that if I were constipated...oh lordy I'd be concerned.  I'd probably have to use something drastic or find out what the deal is. 

Yes, it's really strange because I went from being really regular with great stool consistency to tiny stone-like dark stools that are difficult to pass.

Is this since cutting out coffee? Could that be the problem?

A lot of the "problem foods" are watery, so cutting those out means I need to drink way more water. But, more water = more reflux. Also less coffee means less dairy, if you put it in your coffee. And less food overall makes things run slower. Not eating a third meal for two weeks is definitely causing issues here, but if the food isn't going to get to that part of the digestive system anyway...

Are you still feeling better? I cut out the coffee for the past few days and... no difference. Still tweaking things. Found out stress definitely makes things worse though. DH was rear ended on the way home from work last night. I told him my gut was having sympathy pains, haha.

• Like 1

Is this since cutting out coffee? Could that be the problem?

A lot of the "problem foods" are watery, so cutting those out means I need to drink way more water. But, more water = more reflux. Also less coffee means less dairy, if you put it in your coffee. And less food overall makes things run slower. Not eating a third meal for two weeks is definitely causing issues here, but if the food isn't going to get to that part of the digestive system anyway...

Are you still feeling better? I cut out the coffee for the past few days and... no difference. Still tweaking things. Found out stress definitely makes things worse though. DH was rear ended on the way home from work last night. I told him my gut was having sympathy pains, haha.

I think it's a bit of a "perfect storm" situation. I've taken more iron pills than usual because of a super long menstral cycle, then cut out coffee (which does help keep things regular). I'm still drinking lots of herbal tea and water, and the waterworks are going just as frequently as ever.  I'm trying to eat lots of veggies and no foods that gum up the intestines (ie. cheese, bananas). I'm also still very physically active.  I don't know why the stools suddenly when so wonky so quickly. The only other change was adding in the PPIs.

Edited by wintermom

Have gallbladder issues been ruled out?

This might be my answer!  I just returned from the dr. One item on the blood work indicated something to do with the gallbladder and/or pancreas. I'm going in for an ultrasound to check it out. 

Edited by wintermom

I think it's a bit of a "perfect storm" situation. I've taken more iron pills than usual because of a super long menstral cycle, then cut out coffee (which does help keep things regular). I'm still drinking lots of herbal tea and water, and the waterworks are going just as frequently as ever.  I'm trying to eat lots of veggies and no foods that gum up the intestines (ie. cheese, bananas). I'm also still very physically active.  I don't know why the stools suddenly when so wonky so quickly. The only other change was adding in the PPIs.

This sounds like the iron.

When I take iron, those stool changes happen within about a day.

I wonder whether another form of iron would work for you.  I used to take Stuart's prenatal, which was very absorbable for me but didn't cause constipation.  You could maybe try that along with a little more meat.

• Like 1

This sounds like the iron.

When I take iron, those stool changes happen within about a day.

I wonder whether another form of iron would work for you.  I used to take Stuart's prenatal, which was very absorbable for me but didn't cause constipation.  You could maybe try that along with a little more meat.

Could be, but I stopped my iron a week ago, and the constipation happened a few days afterwards. I only take iron when I'm bleeding heavily. I did have a few more heavy days than usual, but I wasn't constipated then. It's a little weird. 

This might be my answer!  I just returned from the dr. One item on the blood work indicated something to do with the gallbladder and/or pancreas. I'm going in for an ultrasound to check it out. 

That was on the table for possibilities for me too.  They ruled those out.

Do you have nausea at all?  I would have that on and off sometimes.

• Like 1

Dark chocolate in the morning is really helping with the lack of coffee. :D

I woke up with my pain shifted down lower; from the solar plexus region down a few inches to just above the belly button. Weird. :confused1: I've never had it there before.

FWIW, chocolate is a trigger food that my GI told me to cut out. (Yes, to which I replied, "But coffee and chocolate and red sauce are the base of my personal food pyramid!")

Anyway, I'm glad you find it helpful but you might want to see if dropping the chocolate helps you feel even better, gut-wise.

• Like 1

FWIW, chocolate is a trigger food that my GI told me to cut out. (Yes, to which I replied, "But coffee and chocolate and red sauce are the base of my personal food pyramid!")

Anyway, I'm glad you find it helpful but you might want to see if dropping the chocolate helps you feel even better, gut-wise.

I had been avoiding chocolate for several weeks before all this started (for unrelated reasons). Now I'm suddenly craving it, and it is so nice to have that source of energy. I will probably cut it out, too, just to see what effect it has. 

I had been avoiding chocolate for several weeks before all this started (for unrelated reasons). Now I'm suddenly craving it, and it is so nice to have that source of energy. I will probably cut it out, too, just to see what effect it has.

It's kind of a win-win. If dropping it works, you will feel better. If dropping it doesn't make you feel better, you get to keep eating chocolate!

Liquid dairy is actually one of my biggest sensitivities. It's funny how triggers can vary for different people.

• Like 1