Menu

Grade 12- too much?

Ds has a full year of DE under his belt.

Registration is open now for fall & I'm waffling on number of classes he should take.

He's DEing English 101 this summer.

So far, for fall he has:

Precalc with Derek Owens

Computer science at CC

Chem 111 & lab at CC

Spanish1 at CC

Trying to decide if he should add a CC gen Ed just to knock one out (we have access to a program where he can get a college class for $150). He'd do Art History (recommended by a friend who took it as an easy A with Minimal work &'another pal taking it too).

Adding another CC class would put him at 13 credits plus DO math at home. Seems like maybe too much? Chem is a tough class & he's new to Spanish.

And it's his last year to "be a kid"

He'll also have to get applications done in the fall & spends about 15-20 hrs a week on robotics team.

I usually like to keep some time open for something that comes up (this year he added an engineering internship that takes about 8 hrs a week), then a big Science Fair team project too.

His high school requirements will all be met, so it's just a matter of deciding if 4 college classes plus DO Math is too much with robotics too, or if 3 college classes plus math is more manageable.

(He'll already have 4 credits of history & English, that's why they aren't included in this Sr year plan)

This spring, he's doing 2 college classes plus math & physics and his 8 hour internship plus 15 hours on sci fair. Could not do anymore.

* second semester Sr year would continue Chem, Spanish, Math, & another CS class or another DE gen Ed.

Whatcha think?

Edited by Hilltopmom

It depends a bit on the sort of colleges he is applying to in the fall, and whether he wants to be competitive for scholarships.

Generally, colleges want to see that senior year is as rigorous as previous years, or more so.

I don't think you would necessarily need to add another CC course. Perhaps something that could be done easily at home.

If you feel confident about his chances for admission at his preferred schools though, I think you are fine.

• Like 1

The gen Ed would transfer, already checked on that. Within same state system.

I think he'll do technical writing instead of 102, will transfer & required by his intended major at most places he's applying instead of 102. But he may just take it freshman year.

He could do another home class, but he's pretty well set credit wise, so I figured might as well get college credit for something if we add something else.

"I" think that 3 classes at the CC senior year plus math at home is pretty rigorous... He's applying to state schools, not competitive ones. It'll be his fourth computer science course at the CC, so they're getting harder.

He informed me today he doesn't want to take a gen Ed & certainly not art history, lol, but he'll need a fine arts gen Ed at some point anyways.

We'll see.

Just hate to see him too swamped once robotics gears up..it's a lot of hours & he's the lead programmer.

But, otoh, don't want him to have too light of a schedule either.

I think I'm leaning now towards "not" adding the gen Ed in the fall since he needs to get applications done too & if he has extra time on his hands, to add one in the spring instead. If something worthwhile comes up like this year- internship or Intel ISEF again, he'll need flexibility.

Edited by Hilltopmom

Are there lots of native Spanish speakers in your area? In our community college,native speakers take Spanish for an easy A. If your son is not a native Spanish speaker, i would be careful . It moves fast and with so many people who are not truly at the beginner level, there isn't a curve. Does your DS need high school foreign language to be admitted or for a degree at his the four year school? If if to be admitted , I would homeschool it using one of the reccomended sources like Homeschool Spanish Academy.

i wouldn't add the extra class. It always helps to have some classes at the four year school to balance out the GPA with the most difficult. Freshman year away from home has its own challenges and it nice to have a few softer classes in the transition.

Edited: actually I would drop the Spanish and add the general ed if he wants it, Art history and Art Appreciation are quite time consuming especially at my son's school. Knowing somone with knowledge of how a prof teaches is pretty invaluable. Of course, he could always take it summer after fresman year and transfer it in.

Edited by Silver Brook
  • Like 1

Are there lots of native Spanish speakers in your area? In our community college,native speakers take Spanish for an easy A. If your son is not a native Spanish speaker, i would be careful . It moves fast and with so many people who are not truly at the beginner level, there isn't a curve.  

I myself have never seen an introductory foreign language class that moves fast, lol.

The OP should be able to get her hands on a syllabus that states what will be covered. No matter how many native speakers take the class, they don't move any faster than the syllabus dictates. 

• Like 1

The Spanish is online (I know, I know) & specifically for high school kids with no previous Spanish, we now someone taking it this semester too.

He needs the language for admittance, has not taken any yet.

Normally you need two HS level language courses for college admission so this class may be fast paced if it counts for that.

I would do some prep work in Spanish this summer.  I predict that this course will be time consuming,

Free could be used for prep:

https://allinonehighschool.com/spanish-1/

This SUNY suggests 3 years foreign language:

https://www.brockport.edu/admissions/101/freshman/

Edited by MarkT
  • Like 1

Ok, I decided on- not adding the CC Art History class (not in the fall, maybe in the spring)

We'll plan another homeschool course as a flexible fifth class instead (probably more writing & lit- that can be light if need be or dropped in favor of an internship or extra robotics or another big sci fair project if those happen next year). Also gives him more time to get applications done early in the fall.

So that will put him at 3 at the CC + 2 at home for fall.

Thanks, all!

• Like 1

Precalc with Derek Owens

Computer science at CC

Chem 111 & lab at CC

Spanish1 at CC

((Hugs)), Hilltop...don't make yourself crazy over it. :-)

When I see this little list, I technically see 13 hours of college credits (counting the DO math just to make a point)...enough hours to be considered "full time" for a full time college student. You will have a high school senior with a boatload of outside activities. I think this schedule is enough. Both the chemistry and the Spanish could be quite time-intensive...you just don't know. 

Senior year can be very crazy. I think you want some planned breathing room. 

So my vote is to go with this list and be done with it! :-)

• Like 4

I myself have never seen an introductory foreign language class that moves fast, lol.

The OP should be able to get her hands on a syllabus that states what will be covered. No matter how many native speakers take the class, they don't move any faster than the syllabus dictates.

The speed of the class was more reflective how how fast our CC moved compared with a basic high school class. (Sounds like OP class is ok) The lack of a curve was due to the number of native speakers. I didn't think the pace was much faster except there isn't much review .

However, my kids and I are particularly bad at languages (written portion). Perhaps it is easier for some people. Carry on :)

Edited by Silver Brook