Menu

Do Groundhogs scream?

Katy

You know, like rabbits do when you kill them?

About a week ago around 9pm there was the sound of a hoot owl then something screaming in the backyard.  I figured one of the neighborhood owls caught a rabbit and reminded people not to let the yorkie out after dark off leash.

Now the kids have noticed the groundhog that lives just outside our fence is gone.

Was that sound the groundhog?

Thanks.  I looked on YouTube, but I couldn't figure out if the video of a screaming groundhog was real or doctored.

That critter looked a lot bigger than our yorkie, so now I'm more concerned than ever for his safety.  That owl is bold.  He likes to perch on our bay window roof. One night he was sitting there hooting and even banging on the window and yelling didn't make him leave.  I had to go outside and wave a broom at him to make him scoot, and even then it was only to the edge of the deck rail at first. He didn't act afraid of me at all.  He landed on the window several times after that, but always leaves if one of us bangs on the window.

Thanks.  I looked on YouTube, but I couldn't figure out if the video of a screaming groundhog was real or doctored.

I suspect that video is fake.  But one of the sounds groundhogs make is a shriek so I would not be surprised if that is what you heard.

And now I really want to sing The Circle of Life for some reason...

Poor groundhog! What an obnoxious owl, banging on your window like that. Maybe spraying it with water would be more effective than waving a broom.

I would be very careful with your yorkie. Around here, cats and small dogs have been eaten by owls and hawks. 

• Like 1

We live on a creek that goes right into a big river, so we have all kinds of wildlife around here.  It's not uncommon to see bald eagles, hawks, or owls.

However it is VERY rare to see rabbits.  And now, apparently, groundhogs.