Menu

All About Reading or Logic of English

jmjs4

Have you looked at the online samples for each one? That might help you decide. One of the biggest differences in the programs is that AAR and AAS separate reading and spelling--here's an article with more information. This allows students to move as quickly or as slowly as they need to with each skill. AAR and AAS are also Orton-Gillingham based rather than Spalding-based--the two are related but do have some differences. O-G tends to be more incremental, which some students really need. Those are some things you can think through as you try to decide which one might match your child's needs. HTH some!

• Like 2

I have spent a lot of time trying to decide between the two programs for my 4 year old b/g twins.  I landed on Logic of English because I am not crafty and I think LOE game based approach would work better with two.  My daughter (who is already a great beginner reader) would probably enjoy the crafts, but my little guy who I need to focus on, would do better with a game based and less pencil oriented approach. I would take a good look at both, look at your kids' strengths and weaknesses, and decide from there.  

• Like 1

I have spent a lot of time trying to decide between the two programs for my 4 year old b/g twins.  I landed on Logic of English because I am not crafty and I think LOE game based approach would work better with two.  My daughter (who is already a great beginner reader) would probably enjoy the crafts, but my little guy who I need to focus on, would do better with a game based and less pencil oriented approach. I would take a good look at both, look at your kids' strengths and weaknesses, and decide from there.  

Just curious...what do you mean by "crafty"? I am the least crafty person ever and have used AAR for 3 of my kids so far. I LOVE it. It only involves some cutting to get the activities doable..and then you can put them in a sleeve and keep for future kids. No prepwork at all-it couldn't be more open and go.  And there is also no pencil work.

I've used both. AAR won out at my house. It felt more organized and sequential. My kids actually enjoy the games and the readers.

I felt LOE introduced phonograms too quickly and did not have enough practice. My kids did not enjoy the little readers that you cut out of the back and stapled together. They also weren't big fans of the worksheets.

I like that AAR is non consumable. I'm using it with child #3 and it's worked well with my struggling reader, my eager reader, and now with a child who falls somewhere between those two.

I also found AAR easier to teach. The instructions make more sense to me.

• Like 2

I chose LOE for the following reasons: 

1) I didn't want to buy multiple levels for both AAR and AAS.

2) I wanted all language arts skills integrated. For some, this is a disadvantage, but for us, it worked great. When my DS needed to slow down in one area and move forward in another area, I just adjusted my expectations, gave him all the help he needed (lots of prompts), and continued moving forward in the curriculum. 

3) LOE activities for reinforcing concepts are multi-sensory and include movement. My DS loved this and really enjoyed the lessons in Foundations A-D.

4) I loved the inclusion of real books in LOE D.  

5)  I appreciated the author using interesting topics for the kids to read about in the Foundations C & D readers.  

FYI, my DS was not a struggling reader or speller. If he was, I may have chosen AAS and AAR so I could introduce new concepts at a more gradual pace. We did Foundations A-D in K-2nd grade. We're using Essentials right now. His spelling is in great shape, so we will probably continue on without Essentials next year and just do spelling analysis with lists of words from Spelling Plus or something similar. I didn't realize this before I used LOE, but I LOVE the spelling analysis process. It forces you to slow down and really study words using syllabication, phonograms, and spelling rules as tools.

Hope this helps! 

• Like 1

I LOVE LOE. I did both foundations and Essentials with my 9 yo. I am so sad we are done and have no ideawhat we will do next. He had so much fun with foundations. Many days he'd ask to do 2-3 lessons a day. We did not do the handwriting. He just wasn't ready for it when we started at 4.5.

• Like 1