Menu

Does anyone have experience with alopecia areata? (hair loss in one spot)

Janie Grace

I just discovered a quarter-sized bald spot on the back left of my head. Completely bald. It is covered by other hair (thank goodness) but it fits the description of alopecia areata. I don't know what to think.  :( Auto-immune stuff is in my family. Should I start using Rogaine? Just ignore it and wait for it to grow back? Start growing my hair long in case it happens in a more obvious place next time and I need to get creative with covering it up?

Dang. I know there are more serious issues but I'm pretty freaked out and sad.  

My husband had this and went to a dermatologist. He was given a type of steroid shot on the bald spot and the hair grew back. That was over five years ago and the hair is still growing just fine. Hopefully your situation is just as easy to fix.

• Like 2

OP just throwing this out there but are you on any medications? My ds had the same problem and it was one of his medications.

It was a 3 month course and once he stopped the hair grew back.

I cannot remember which medication it was as he was on many at that time. 

OP just throwing this out there but are you on any medications? My ds had the same problem and it was one of his medications.

It was a 3 month course and once he stopped the hair grew back.

I cannot remember which medication it was as he was on many at that time. 

Just Flonase for seasonal allergies. 

My husband had this and went to a dermatologist. He was given a type of steroid shot on the bald spot and the hair grew back. That was over five years ago and the hair is still growing just fine. Hopefully your situation is just as easy to fix.

This is very encouraging. I am going to call the dermatologist tomorrow. And stop reading worst-case scenarios on the internet.  :crying: