Menu

ISO tutorials/lesson plans for iMac

mskelly

I want lesson plans that will help me teach the kids how to use Pages, Numbers, and KeyNote but everything I'm finding is for teachers to use these programs in the classroom, but not teach the kids how to use them.  They can do what they need to do, but I know there are so many features that we aren't using that would be fun to learn.  Any ideas?

Have you considered using Google apps? There are lots of tutorials on there, and they are web-based.cross-platform. I am a life-long Apple customer (I have never owned a PC in my 20+ years of computer using), and I had my DS learn using Google apps because his older sister used Pages and Keynote and always had trouble with collaborating and exploring for other users (fonts, animations, formatting, etc. went wonky). He used web tutorials to learn them.

• Like 1

How old are the kids? Anything more advanced you'd want to do in Pages could also be done in Photoshop or another adobe product that would be more long-term and cross-platform. 

I like the STEM and app learning offerings from Teacher Created Resources. The STEM books will at least give you a reason to do the projects. If you don't have something you're trying to make, then there's no reason to learn the skills, kwim? 

Yes, there are a few interesting things you can do with opacity, images, etc., in Pages, but it's stuff easily learned and stuff that is easy to figure out if you already get the concepts in other software. Not sure I'd put a lot of effort into the mac software. But I usually get bugged with things that aren't there. Like in Numbers, I can't split cells like I want, can't change the direction of text, etc. etc. Things you know you could do with Windows,  you can't. I love my mac stuff (I'm all mac save for one stray laptop), but that part is a pain. 

The video software on the mac (iMovie) is worth learning. That actually does pretty well what it's meant to do. Of course now there are so many apps to make things...

Edited by OhElizabeth