Menu

Does anyone have the new 2017 Chrysler Pacifica minivan or a Dodge Journey?

Teresa in MO

I have a 2010 Chrysler Town and Country minivan with a little over 100,000 miles on it.  It is starting to have a few very minor problems.  This would not have been a problem in the past, as my dh was a Dodge/Chrysler mechanic before he completely switched careers and he took care of all repairs, big and small.  Since he passed away last fall, I am considering maybe buying a new vehicle with a warranty while I can still get a decent trade-in value on my current van.  If I wait and drive it for 4 or 5 more years, I don't think I can get much for it, especially if something major goes out on it.  Then I would need to replace it and probably spend about the same amount as I would now after my trade-in.  So, I would really like to get the new Chrysler Pacifica minvan.  I love the looks of them. BUT, I can hear my husband who always said you don't buy the first year a new model comes out. Technically, I'm not sure I need a minivan.  I still have 4 dc at home.  My ds and I went to the dealer today to look.  I ended up test driving a Dodge Journey, which has a third row option.  I liked it, but it seemed tight.  Minivans are much roomier.  Sorry this has gotten long.  Does anyone have the new Pacifica minivan or the Dodge Journey and how do you like it?  Like I said, we never, ever bought new.  But my situation has changed now, and I need to be realistic and practical.  

I test drove the 2017 Pacifica and it was lovely.  It's all bells and whistles....so I wondered how reliable it would be long term.  Elected to wait a bit and see how people feel after a year or two as it's a completely new model.  But man... she was snazzy!

As a person who LOVES cars and car shopping, and buys them far too often, I'm going to agree with what your dh. I will never again buy a first year model- particularly if it's made by Dodge. I'm sorry to say that, but I would wait for a 2018.

We had a first year model Dodge 2500 truck- 2013. 14 recalls in 18 months. It has a catastrophic break down at 40,000 miles. I know that's not a minivan- but their trucks are typically much better made than their other vehicles, so that's why I mention. We had a non diesel at the same time, bought new the same year and it had 10 recalls. Yes, recalls are repaired by the dealer, but you still have to take the time to get to the dealership, and sit there, or else get different transportation while being fixed. They're a pain.

Your trade in value will likely not decrease significantly (if at all) in six months at the age of your current car. I would definitely advise waiting. There is just so much technology and so many things to go wrong on a new model. I would wait for the 2018 so they can tweak what they need to. Also, look for the recalls from the current model as well as the Technical Service Bulletins (TSB's-- which aren't recalls, but bulletins to the techs on the actual problems). Manufacturers only have to recall proven safety issues, and it doesn't easily happen, so the TSBs give you a better picture of how many problems a vehicle is actually having. Guessing you know that if your husband was previously a tech, but thought I would mention.