Menu

Replacement site for College Confidential College Search?

Ginevra

Does anyone know of a site that offers the same type of information on colleges as this site used to? It has said it is renovating the College Search function for ages now. I used this site a ton when I was looking at colleges for DD. Now I'm trying to do it for DS, but this site doesn't have that function any more.

Any ideas?

• Like 1

College Board has one on their Big Future site.

This is the one I always use. That, and the ipeds site.

College Confidential makes me want to poke my eyes out.

Edited by Kinsa

This is the one I always use. That, and the ipeds site.

College Confidential makes me want to poke my eyes out.

I really liked a couple features of their search engine. I liked that you could put down attributes and also weight their importance to you. I also liked that you could specify ROTC programs by service.

I really liked a couple features of their search engine. I liked that you could put down attributes and also weight their importance to you. I also liked that you could specify ROTC programs by service.

Big future has weighting of attributes and search for ROTC, though not by branch. Look under "majors and learning environment."

The full scholarships list at mykidscollegechoice is easy to search for ROTC by branch, assuming basic excel skills.

• Like 1

Big future has weighting of attributes and search for ROTC, though not by branch. Look under "majors and learning environment."

The full scholarships list at mykidscollegechoice is easy to search for ROTC by branch, assuming basic excel skills.

College Confidential allowed one to specify by service.  This was amazing helpful.  There were too many false positives when looking at a general ROTC match.

I haven't used mykidscollegechoice.  I'll check that one out.

• Like 1

What information are you having troubles finding?

Well, what I did on College Confidential when I was researching for my first child was: put several colleges into my "bulletin board," then look at the metrics for each that I was comparing at that time. So, suppose I was looking at tuition costs. I would pin several on there, then click each one, noting their tuition costs. Then I might look at what majors were offered at the tuition ranges I found acceptable. (This was easy for my first child because her majors are widely available.) Then I would make other comparisons: how big is this school? What are admission requirements? What percentage lives on campus? How diverse is this campus? Greek life yes or no? Activities my child would enjoy?

It was just easy to compare schools side-by-side this way and that was the only site I knew had this. Of to go check out some listed here. :)

I didn't realize CC's search was down, but it always gave me a lot of false positives when I searched for sports.  It let you specify the sport, the gender, and then varsity or club, but it spit out piles of schools that have not had varsity programs in that sport in over a decade.  It made me doubt its reliability or usefulness for any criteria.  Thank goodness for collegeswimming.com.

I have found those types of sites useful for general info but not very useful for scholarship info. It has taken a lot more effort digging into individual school websites to find good scholarship info.

The percentage getting merit awards on collegedata is somewhat useful, but after that the details have to come from digging into the school websites. The information just isn't in the databases the generic websites use.