Menu

Mineral make up for middle aged skin

Shellydon

Did you go to a Bare Minerals store and have someone do your makeup? Bare Minerals has quite a large color selection, and the people who work there are pretty good about matching skin tone. Bare Minerals has been my favorite so far. :-)

• Like 2

I use the Bare Minerals with a Smashbox primer.  I love the combo.  I agree with going in to Ulta or Sephora and having the foundation matched.  If it was too orangey you had the wrong color, but there are a lot of colors to choose from. They'll usually take it back within a certain time, too, if you get home and don't like it.  

• Like 1

I use the Bare Minerals with a Smashbox primer. I love the combo. I agree with going in to Ulta or Sephora and having the foundation matched. If it was too orangey you had the wrong color, but there are a lot of colors to choose from. They'll usually take it back within a certain time, too, if you get home and don't like it.

This is my usual combination, but I'm finding I can no longer use the matte formula, I think I need to go back to the regular bareMinerals. Have you tried both finishes?

I discovered, and LOVED, mineral foundation about 3-4 years before I aged out of it.  My skin is dry and the powder just highlighted fine lines that I didn't even know were there. :-/  I had to switch to cream.  I do love the BB creams.  Basically I want to look naturally even without actually feeling the make-up on my face.  When I have to do all of the primer/foundation, setting powder nonsense for a performance I feel like I have an inch of product on my face and I complain profusely.

• Like 1

I used Bare Minerals powder in my 30s but as I have aged, I have found it drying -- it also emphasizes fine lines and wrinkles. NOT what I'm going for! I now use Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue tinted hydrating gel cream. Light, natural coverage, nourishing to my skin, sun protection -- I LOVE it. 

• Like 2

Did you go to a Bare Minerals store and have someone do your makeup? Bare Minerals has quite a large color selection, and the people who work there are pretty good about matching skin tone. Bare Minerals has been my favorite so far. :-)

Yes, they have a lot of colors.  It is my favorite too. .

I can't wear that type of makeup (I'm too oily), but I do recommend going to Ulta. IME, they are very helpful with recommendations, color matching and you can return anything that you try and don't like. Their rewards points add up quickly which helps!

The only cover up I've found that works with my oily skin is Revlon color stay 24 hour foundation for oily skin recommended by Paula from Paula's Choice. I use a wet make up wedge to apply just a few drops since I don't like heavy coverage and like to look and feel as natural as possible while getting the coverage I need. I can't use powder anymore because it makes my pores and wrinkles look awful now.

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain

I used Bare Minerals powder in my 30s but as I have aged, I have found it drying -- it also emphasizes fine lines and wrinkles. NOT what I'm going for! I now use Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue tinted hydrating gel cream. Light, natural coverage, nourishing to my skin, sun protection -- I LOVE it. 

Me too, love it! I went through a lot of BB and CC creams, foundations and other makeup experiments before I found this one. I don't feel it on my skin and it smoothes everything out making me look years younger.

• Like 3

Me too, love it! I went through a lot of BB and CC creams, foundations and other makeup experiments before I found this one. I don't feel it on my skin and it smoothes everything out making me look years younger.

Do you have dry or combo skin? I have oily skin and any BB and CC cream I've tried slid off in hours and broke me out. But you're taking about gel. Hmm.

I second or third the BM Complexion Rescue. The gel is awesome. It goes on cool and when I feel it drying on, I stop blending. I put it on with a special brush that I just L.o.v.e. I probably go through the product faster, but I love it.

I also aged out of BM mineral powder and I'm never going back.

Now, I'm starting something new after being at ULTA over the weekend and it's called IT. A cc cream.

I love this more bc it removed about 4 steps. I used to use Stila color corrector and IT takes care of that to correct for redness. Also I don't really need powder to set it as much like I felt with Comp. Rescue. With CR I felt like I needed to fix it sooner.

I too have oily skin. So this is my new one. Love the better coverage!

• Like 2

I got tons of compliments when I wore Physician's Formula. Then I used Bare Minerals, which I didn't like as much but I spent so much I used it for a little more than a year. These days I prefer Laura Mercier Silk Creme, which is a liquid but makes my skin look amazing.

The only cover up I've found that works with my oily skin is Revlon color stay 24 hour foundation for oily skin recommended by Paula from Paula's Choice. I use a wet make up wedge to apply just a few drops since I don't like heavy coverage and like to look and feel as natural as possible while getting the coverage I need. I can't use powder anymore because it makes my pores and wrinkles look awful now.

Color Stay has been my back up for years! I use it in between experimenting with other foundations. The best regimen I've found so far is:

Mario Badescu glycolic facial cleanser and AHA moisturizer

Arbonne primer

Urban Decay All Nighter

Lorac powder

The Urban Decay is thick, but I use very little and apply with an IT foundation brush, then finish with a few light dabs of the powder. I am guessing most people would not like the thickness of the foundation but I have huge pores, acne scarring and redness....it covers it beautifully. My pores appear so much smaller than with any other foundation and I have very little oil at the end of the day, perhaps applying with a brush helps. I am loving this recent combo!!

• Like 1