Menu

Slide, Sliding Board, Sliding Pon(d), Chute, etc. What did you call it?

umsami

Sliding Board vs. Slide  

157 members have voted

1. 1. What did you call the piece of playground equipment mentioned in the post?

• Slide
    • Sliding Board or Slide Board
    • Sliding Pon, Sliding Pond, or Sliding Pot
    • Chute
    • Slippery Slide or Slippery Dip
    • Other

So, my kids and I were reading a book in which the term "sliding board" was used instead of the one we are most familiar with "slide."  I had never heard that before.  Google revealed that it is a regional term, as are the others listed above.

So, where did you grow up and what did you call that piece of playground equipment where you climb to the top of a ladder and zoom on down?

I've never heard of those other terms. I will say that the old playground at the public school near my childhood home had what could probably be called a sliding board. It looked like a three ft wide piece of sheet metal that was attached to the side of the wooden play structure about five feet off the ground. It was a very odd short slide. It also got insanely hot on sunny days.

Edited to add: I grew up in the suburbs of a large Midwestern city.

Edited by AnnE-girl

I grew up calling them sliding boards, but I call them slides now.  And I called the play structure a "climbing apparatus".  I'm not sure if that was my region or just my parents being weird.

ETA: I'm from Eastern Maryland, and my parents are from New Jersey.

Edited by rebbyribs
  • Like 1

I grew up in northern NJ and we called it a sliding pond. However, I don't know if that's a regional term or an  antiquated term. It could have just been the times I grew up in since terms for things do change. I've lived more of my life in Florida than NJ (I was 13 when my family moved here and I'm almost eligible for social security now) and have called it a slide for more years than I can recall.

A slide and a slippery slide are two different things here.

A slide is playground equipment usually made of some kind of tough plastic around here.

A slippery slide is a long mat-like material that gets very slippery when you turn the garden hose on it. In the summer, we used to run, then plop onto the watery - slippery slide and slide the length of it while getting wet. These work best in a front - or back yard with a slight slope. :)

They are sometimes sold as "Slip n' Slide."

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 5

So no one called it a sliding pond? That's what makes me think it's antiquated rather than regional. I don't know when I started calling it just a slide but I know I used that word by the time my niece was born in 1988.

I never heard the other terms used. Only sliding pond and slide.

• Like 1

A slippery slide is a long mat-like material that gets very slippery when you turn the garden hose on it. In the summer, we used to run, then plop onto the watery - slippery slide and slide the length of it while getting wet. These work best in a front - or back yard with a slight slope. :)

Your slippery slide would be the homemade equivalent of what I called water slides at water parks. There are inflatable lawn water slides but I have never tried those.

I voted for slide, since that's the English word I was taught for it. Of course, what I grew up calling it was a glijbaan, which is what it's called in Dutch.

ETA: I've taken my kids to the playground in Texoma and in WNY plenty of times and have only ever heard it referred to as a slide.

Edited by luuknam

Sliding board when I was a kid in PA.  Slippery dip when my kids were living in Australia. Slide everywhere else.

funny story -  I grew up in Pennsylvania Dutch part of PA.  As a kid I frequently heard, "Stop rutching around," or 'rutch over'.   It was only when I lived in Bavaria and learned that a slide in German was rutche that I really understood that wasn't an 'everywhere' kind of word.

Edited by Tammi K
  • Like 1

I grew up in northern NJ and we called it a sliding pond. However, I don't know if that's a regional term or an  antiquated term. It could have just been the times I grew up in since terms for things do change. I've lived more of my life in Florida than NJ (I was 13 when my family moved here and I'm almost eligible for social security now) and have called it a slide for more years than I can recall.

Also from North Jersey, but younger. I've never heard sliding pond.

• Like 1

My husband reminded me that in The Happy Man and His Dump Truck, the animals say, "What a fine sliding board!" when they are tipped out of the truck.

I love a man who knows his children's books.  :)

The book was first published in 1950.

• Like 5

My husband reminded me that in The Happy Man and His Dump Truck, the animals say, "What a fine sliding board!" when they are tipped out of the truck.

I love a man who knows his children's books. :)

The book was first published in 1950.

I love that book. My little ones laughed aloud every time we read it together!

• Like 2

I grew up calling them sliding boards, but I call them slides now.  And I called the play structure a "climbing apparatus".  I'm not sure if that was my region or just my parents being weird.

ETA: I'm from Eastern Maryland, and my parents are from New Jersey.

I have heard "climbing apparatus," but we used to call it "monkey bars."  I never hear "monkey bars" any more ....

• Like 3

Speaking of old fashioned play terms, who else here sang this song as a little kid:

Say, say, oh playmate,
Come out and play with me
And bring your dollies three
Climb up my apple tree

Slide down my rain barrel
Into my cellar door
And we'll be jolly friends
Forever more more more more more

Say, say, oh playmate
I cannot play with you
My dolly's got the flu
Boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo

Ain't got no rain barrel
Ain't got no cellar door
But we'll be jolly friends

Edited by SKL
  • Like 7

Speaking of old fashioned play terms, who else here sang this song as a little kid:

Say, say, oh playmate,

Come out and play with me

And bring your dollies three

Climb up my apple tree

Slide down my rain barrel

Into my cellar door

And we'll be jolly friends

Say, say, oh playmate

I cannot play with you

My dolly's got the flu

Boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo

Ain't got no rain barrel

Ain't got no cellar door

But we'll be jolly friends

We did!

I have heard "climbing apparatus," but we used to call it "monkey bars."  I never hear "monkey bars" any more ....

You should hear my 6yo.

I do imagine that climbing apparatus is a broader category than just monkey bars, and would also encompass climbing racks, etc.

• Like 3

Sliding board when I was a kid in PA.  Slippery dip when my kids were living in Australia. Slide everywhere else.

funny story -  I grew up in Pennsylvania Dutch part of PA.  As a kid I frequently heard, "Stop rutching around," or 'rutch over'.   It was only when I lived in Bavaria and learned that a slide in German was rutche that I really understood that wasn't an 'everywhere' kind of word.

I just had this experience with the word "jakey."  My mother always used it when an outfit looked particularly mismatched or disheveled, but when I used it the other day I got some blank, blinking stares.  I feel like my family set me up.  I never know until those moments that something isn't commonly used.

• Like 2

I marked sliding board because that is what we called it when I was a kid in Northern Virginia.  When I saw the list, I thought that sliding pond is something I heard.  Now I know it was probably what my dh who grew up in northern NJ had called it.  We have lived in many places and now I will usually refer to it as a slide.

I still use the term monkey bars but I use that for more rectangular boxy types of climbing apparati.  I now use climbing apparatus to reference other types of climbing structures such as the gigantic three story climbing half sphere my kids enjoyed while living in Belgium.

• Like 1