Menu

Stuffed peppers (new question in post #18)

Night Elf

I'm looking at recipes for stuffed peppers. They all look fairly easy. What is the best pepper to use? I once had a stuffed chili relleno pepper in a Mexican restaurant and I remember I liked it. Is that spicy? Are they known under another name? I don't remember seeing that name in my grocery store produce section, not that I have been looking specifically. Some recipes say to use 4 peppers and a pound of meat. Isn't that a lot of meat in each pepper? I don't know if I want it that thick. Any tips for making this dish? Favorite recipe?

Edited by Night Elf

I use bell peppers and layer meat, sauce, and cheese. My family prefers rice on the side rather than stuffed. They don't like the texture I think.

I use about 1 pound of ground beef (93% lean) for 6 peppers. I make homemade salsa with tomatoes, jalapenos, onions, and cilantro. My family likes it with muenster cheese or colby-jack cheese.

Edited by extendedforecast
  • Like 1

I'm looking at recipes for stuffed peppers. They all look fairly easy. What is the best pepper to use? I once had a stuffed chili relleno pepper in a Mexican restaurant and I remember I liked it. Is that spicy? Are they known under another name? I don't remember seeing that name in my grocery store produce section, not that I have been looking specifically. Some recipes say to use 4 peppers and a pound of meat. Isn't that a lot of meat in each pepper? I don't know if I want it that thick. Any tips for making this dish? Favorite recipe?

Hey, I just had chile rellenos last night. Poblano peppers are used to make that. They are only very mildly spicy.

I grew up with stuffed peppers consisting of green peppers, rice, tomato sauce and topped with cheese.

Dh family enjoys green peppers, 1 pound of breakfast sausage, rice, and slivered almonds.

Typically, if I have extra meat mixture, I just place it around the peppers in an 8.5 X 11 pan.

Stuffed peppers and chile rellenos are two completely different things in my world.  Chile relleno uses poblano peppers, that are roasted to blacken the skin which is peeled off, it's stuffed with cheese, dipped in a batter, fried and than covered with a mexican flavored tomato sauce.  Stuffed peppers is a bell pepper stuffed with a mixture of ground beef and rice and baked in a tomato sauce.  At least that my rough distinction.

For stuffed peppers we use red bell peppers because we like the flavor of them cooked better than green peppers.  I also add lentils to up the protein without the high cost of more meat.  I put heavy amounts of thyme is as that is a flavor we really like.

• Like 5

Stuffed peppers and chile rellenos are two completely different things in my world. Chile relleno uses poblano peppers, that are roasted to blacken the skin which is peeled off, it's stuffed with cheese, dipped in a batter, fried and than covered with a mexican flavored tomato sauce. Stuffed peppers is a bell pepper stuffed with a mixture of ground beef and rice and baked in a tomato sauce. At least that my rough distinction.

For stuffed peppers we use red bell peppers because we like the flavor of them cooked better than green peppers. I also add lentils to up the protein without the high cost of more meat. I put heavy amounts of thyme is as that is a flavor we really like.

Same here, except that Chile rellenos are Anaheim peppers or hatch green chilies grilled and peeled, stuffed with cheese, battered and fried. It wasn't until I moved to Houston that I was introduced to poblano peppers. They use them in everything here.

Chiles rellenos are traditionally made with poblano chilis. They are a little picante. Removing seeds and membranes makes them milder.

If you can find poblano chilis, then Anaheims make a reasonable substitute.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

My kids refuse to eat them with rice in them. I think it's the texture, as someone mentioned above. They think it's weird. Which is rotten, because the Costco ones are so good.

Alas.

The Pioneer Woman's recipe works better for us because the zucchini gave it some bulk. And I just omitted the rice and added more cheese. Ack... and maybe I did something else. Why am I even linking a recipe I tweaked this much? Oh well.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/video-stuffed-bell-peppers/

Edited by Farrar

IMO don't use green bell peppers.  Any other color or other kinds of peppers are fine, but green bell peppers make all the food inside taste like green bell peppers.  Bleh.  The other colors don't have seeping flavor like that.  

Hmm.. strange. That's my preference actually. I've never tried a yellow pepper but I really don't care for the red peppers. They have a strange taste.

Hmm.. strange. That's my preference actually. I've never tried a yellow pepper but I really don't care for the red peppers. They have a strange taste.

The red peppers are SO good. They're sweet and crunchy and are one of my favorite snacks.  The green bell peppers are ok, but oh, those reds!!

The red peppers are SO good. They're sweet and crunchy and are one of my favorite snacks.  The green bell peppers are ok, but oh, those reds!!

I can eat green peppers like that. I love lots of them in a salad. I also make a dish with green peppers, onions and kielbasa. It's very bland but oh so good!

• Like 2

If I make more than we can eat, can I freeze these? I have ziploc bags and plastic tubs that I doubt have a good seal. I've never frozen cooked meals before for later use.

They freeze well. I always cook a batch for my dad when I visit and then wrap and freeze the leftovers. It's probably his favorite meal to reheat.