Menu

Please help my DS pick an .5 credit elective for his senior year

He's a very STEM oriented kid - looking to hopefully attend Purdue probably in Comp Sci with an interest in AI and robotics, but possibly engineering or even a pure math degree. He's already taken several electives along these lines though and is looking for something a little more outside of the STEM box, although he doesn't want to take anything with absolutely no application to his future at all. He is not interested in history or language/English much at all, so more of those subjects than is required is not really going to appeal to him. He's already taken AOPS C&P and NT and will be taking Stats at a local CC as well as AOPS Calc so probably no math either. He's already going to have a full and rigorous year with both of those math courses as well as physics and so we don't want something really super-challenging or time-consuming, but don't want to just skate by either.

Electives he's already taken/will be taking: Intro to Logic & Rhetoric, Computer Science using Java, Health, Small Business Entrepreneurship, Intro to Computer Engineering using Python, Personal Finance, ETA: Speech

He's considering Psych because of how it might relate to the AI angle, and possibly some type of emergency first aid course because it would be just generally useful in life, but he'd like a larger list of possibilities to choose from and he's stumped and I told him the Hive would surely come to his rescue! :)

TIA!

Edited by Momto5inIN

DE Micro or Macro Economics

Music Theory (beyond what is covered in piano)

Scuba Diving, Raquetball, Tennis or Weightlifting via the CC

Photography

Cooking

Criminal Justice

Edited by Heigh Ho

I'd do psychology for sure with that interest, specifically cognitive psychology or cognitive science. Do some syllabus searches for cog science and AI and I'm sure you will get an excellent reading list.

I'm ABD PhD in cognitive neuroscience but my skills are decades old now. There's so much crossover!

• Like 1

He took Econ this year with some Great Courses videos and he did love it!

He's intrigued by cog psych and human factors and music theory ideas ... and I'm loving the sports/activity options you all mentioned, I totally had never thought of anything like that for him!

Please keep the ideas coming :)

He's considering Psych because of how it might relate to the AI angle, and possibly some type of emergency first aid course because it would be just generally useful in life, but he'd like a larger list of possibilities to choose from and he's stumped and I told him the Hive would surely come to his rescue! :)

TIA!

I think Psych is a good idea.

If he's looking for something that can apply in multiple ways, I highly recommend looking into local volunteer emergency services.  Our fire department pays for fire school and related training (including EMT) and it's built-in community service.  But it can certainly eat up much more than .5 credits worth of time and effort, which won't work for everyone.

• Like 1